Quantcast

Bikes You Wish You Still Had:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
What a mistake it was to sell this thing. I put more mileage on this bike than any I ever had before or after it. I was in a pinch and needed some cash. Hated, really, to see it go, but that's the way it is sometimes.
The new cove I have on the way is pretty similar except not SS, but a great steel ride and similar geo. I hope to rekindle some of that fire for super long rides.

EDIT: Funny story, I won that Titec Stem when I got 3rd in sport at Windrock in 04. I used to actually be able to ride DH :rofl:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
1988 Haro Sport BMX.

1999 S+M Next Generation Dirt Bike

1996 Orange Clockwork

Uh, that's about it...

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
My early 70's Schwinn Stingray. My '81 Takara Outlaw with the kick a$$ Z wheels. Fortunately I still have my '83 PK Ripper...my first aluminum frame...it's in my parents basement in NY.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Bushwhacker said:
My early 70's Schwinn Stingray. My '81 Takara Outlaw with the kick a$$ Z wheels. Fortunately I still have my '83 PK Ripper...my first aluminum frame...it's in my parents basement in NY.
I broke my PK ripper and tore the **** out of the dropouts. :(

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Old GT Ricochet 20" trials bike.

My older brothers S&M Heavy As Fvck.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
blue said:
My 1999 Schwinn Homegrown. :(

wow...thats the sae one i wished i hadnt sold....
Mine was a custom build, and i ended up only selling the frame...
loved that frame...but sold it off to get my first FS...

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I just got this 100% original 1995 100th anniversary Schwinn XS about 3 months ago....paid 10 bucks for it. Even the grips are original.

One of the cool things about it was it was sold at an LBS here in Raleigh

Love this decal....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Dirty said:
wow...thats the sae one i wished i hadnt sold....
Mine was a custom build, and i ended up only selling the frame...
loved that frame...but sold it off to get my first FS...
I had that bike dialed...I made the worst mistake ever selling it to go into debt for a "sponsor" bike from a dickhead LBS. I should email the guy I sold it to 2.5 years ago and see if he wants to sell it back :cool:

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Man...you had the same one as me and blue, Chomps? that was one hell of a frame...the last of the handmade yetis

Mine was decked out with full XTR, king/517 ceramics, a SID SL, and those blingin green michelin tires just like yours....

silly me, sold it for an Ellsworth Truth...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Dirty said:
Man...you had the same one as me and blue, Chomps? that was one hell of a frame...the last of the handmade yetis

Mine was decked out with full XTR, king/517 ceramics, a SID SL, and those blingin green michelin tires just like yours....

silly me, sold it for an Ellsworth Truth...
Yep.

Mine had a z2 BAM, XTR brakes and der.,Gripshift (ewww...), Thomson, Flite Gel, King, Rhyno Lytes (Even in my XC days, I liked to smash stuff), raceface turbine LPs and SYStem.

I remember I used to wash it after rides and just sit there and stare at it.

I got the frame from the super go in santa monica on closeout. $250 brand new. I had to buy a headset and the king was the only one they had in black. Or so the told me. That headset is now still going strong on my BMX.

Since toinght is friday, I will pour out a sip on the curb for my old homegrown.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Mine wasn't exactly decked out, it had been cobbled together from parts I'd acquired over time, but I'd almost had it how I wanted it. It needed some XT hollowtech IIs and some Crossmaxes to be "complete" in my mind. It was mostly XT/XTR, and that 02 Marathon S fork on the front was BUTTER...

Instead I sold it complete for $650 to buy this:

WORST MISTAKE EVAR. :(

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Nomura BMX with graphite tuff wheels w/ campagnolo hubs.
First generation Profile cranks (shimano DX cranks with adjustable arm length for a while until they fell apart) or (Used campy record track cranks for racing).
Original shimano DX pedals (when they were cheap)
Custom UNI seat (before they came from the factory with the nose cut off).
DK stem
ODI attack grips (tried the oakley 3's they sucked!!).

that is about all i remember about that bike..

or a RRS racing cro-mo BMX frame with european eccentric bottom bracket and vertical dropouts...Very different and cool in about 1980!! Campy record headset, track hubs, bb and track cranks! the campy stuff held up WAY better than any BMX stuff at the time.

Wow I am old...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
davep said:
Nomura BMX with graphite tuff wheels w/ campagnolo hubs.
First generation Profile cranks (shimano DX cranks with adjustable arm length for a while until they fell apart) or (Used campy record track cranks for racing).
Original shimano DX pedals (when they were cheap)
Custom UNI seat (before they came from the factory with the nose cut off).
DK stem
ODI attack grips (tried the oakley 3's they sucked!!).

that is about all i remember about that bike..

or a RRS racing cro-mo BMX frame with european eccentric bottom bracket and vertical dropouts...Very different and cool in about 1980!! Campy record headset, track hubs, bb and track cranks! the campy stuff held up WAY better than any BMX stuff at the time.

Wow I am old...
That reminds me of the badass blue ano Campy track cranks and ring just sitting at my LBS all alone...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Nope every new bike has been an improvement of the preceding bike so I don't really regret selling any of them.

It's gone like this.....
Raleigh Terrain buster
Yak Taccoma
GT LTS (original version with the titanium linkage)
Keewee 4.5 (rare only 5 ever custom made and I still have it)
Cove Hummer...Gonna need to win the lottery to get a better hardtail than this!

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
Only bike I wish I still had is my Sunn Radical - the orriginal one with a normal front triangle, rather than the later twin toptube ones.

Bought it from one of the Sunn team when they got the newer ones, it was ace.... got it repaired a couple of times after I broke the seat tube and the brake mounts, and then some theiving T**t took it :( luckily I was insured, and got a pull shock straight-8 as a replacement... but I still would like to get than Radical back!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
The 2 I had-- '92 Rocky Mountain Thin Air w/XTR-Pulstar-Control Tech-Vetta-Ritchey-Syncros, dang thing weighed 23.5lbs. AND an '03/'04 Mantis Profloater after Cunningham sold the company. Race Face-Joe's-Rocket Science-Onza-SRAM-Vetta, and it weighed 24.5lbs. Sold the Thin Air, someone stole the 'floater. Now I have a Cannondale that I won on Alaina's first b-day, and a Cake 4 to just honor her. Don't think I'll ever get rid of the current ones.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
blue said:
Instead I sold it complete for $650 to buy this:

WORST MISTAKE EVAR. :(

I dunno, that deal worked out great for me.:rofl:

I still have the bike I would regret getting rid of, my '96 Litespeed Ocoee.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
2000 M-1 w/ AvyTi
1999 Indy Fab Planet-Cross
mid-90's Bontrager Single Speed (a real one, built in Santa Cruz), although it was too small for me.
'90 Head mtn bike that I had set up for city/touring duty

Maybe the Cannondale track bike I had... but it had limited usefullness as a street bike (really tight tire clearance w/ 19's)

Kinda wish I'd kept the EWR Woods frame, but it was too small for me.

Feb 16, 2005
kingston NY
My Letoy 4, damn i miss that bike. Also I just sold my Hutch cruiser. I may not of riddin it in the past 10 yrs, but it was nice to see my old school bike chillin in the garage.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
My 03 Ironhorse SGS. I had that bike dialed. I sold it for a stupid price to buy a XC bike. Worst mistake ever.

I also regret selling my Kona Bear. It was a fun bike until the chainstays snapped. I wish i would have kept it though.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Seems like most people are going after some old school classic steel hardtail. That's cool. But the bike I miss most often is my Blur.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ian F said:
Kinda wish I'd kept the EWR Woods frame, but it was too small for me.
I have a medium EWR in what can be described as bird sh!t yellow keeping company with a spooky metalhead in a box somewhere in my brothers garage. In another lifetime I may get around to putting it together.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
Seems like most people are going after some old school classic steel hardtail. That's cool. But the bike I miss most often is my Blur.
I thought you still had that - did you sell it for a DH rig or something?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Echo said:
Well, in my case the newest bike I have was made in 1998... I still ride my classic steel hardtail... the newest frame I ever owned was my 2000 M-1. :rolleyes: