Quantcast

Brake Preferences : Hope

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I'm interested in getting new brakes. Have read the review sites and searched the forums.

What setup do you prefer?

I'm thinking m6 in the front m4 in the rear?

Thanks

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i have that setup the m6 front m4 rear,
but now that i reflect i would have got mini rear m6 i dont know why but it would be cool

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I have m6 set up front and back. They are great brakes, they do sqeek a lot for some reason when wet. And for some reason i feel that im not getting full power from the six piston brakes.

Brian do you have a solution to my problems?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sounds like someone didn't tell you Hopes squeal like a stuck pig before you bought them...

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i have ridden hayes for the past 3 years(dh). i def have liked them but from everyone i know they say hope's have much better modulation which i def agree with.

on my 4x bike i am running a hayes front and mono mini rear. The mini def out performs the hayes in mod and thats why i wanna get hope for my dh ride.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
SXtrailrider said:
I have m6 set up front and back. They are great brakes, they do sqeek a lot for some reason when wet. And for some reason i feel that im not getting full power from the six piston brakes.

Brian do you have a solution to my problems?
You probably have the sinthered pads then, mine were F'n noisy. You can try the Hope organic or EBC green or red. That should solve the problem.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
as some one who ran hayes (mags 8 in front and rear)for two years than hope for another two (m4 185mm mini rear 6in for short travel bike, mono 6's on the dh) i am on juicy 7's this year and am straight up stoked.

i never felt like the mono 6's had the power or modulation i wanted. i dangerboyed them. goodridged em, tried different pads. but whatever i did they just werent confidence inspiring, i got used to it though. sure they looked pimp and ****, but that was there only upside. i had fade issues as well occasionally.

when i switched to juicys it was like a whole new realm of goodness. is still run the hopes on my st and get by, but i believe that juicys are seriously kickass, and if i was getting braked today i would choose those or saint or maybe maguras.

i know there is a big hope crew on here, but after riding 4 seperate models including mini's, mono' minis for a bit', m4's, and mono 6's i have decided that i officially dont think they are up to par. and trust me its not easy for me to say, i was stuborn and wouldnt switch for awhile, but now that i did(after last bike got ****in stolen) im glad.

Imo hope=hyped and over rated.

people mistake a smooshy smooth lever for modulation, its not, it is impresise and not confidence inspiring. back when i rode hayes years ago i could pop up huge stoppies at any time and not be afraid at all. i can say that in two years on hope, i did zero high speed stoppies due to one thing fear.

first day on the juicys i was back to old form lol, and even with a 2.8 in tire on a 43 pound dh bike they seemed almost too powerful, but i know ill adjust.

maybe i got lemons for hopes, but i dont think so, but i defantly hit the jackpot with a dialed set of juicys.

also the ease of setup is so welcome, i know spacering out hopes is not that big of a deal, and i dont mind commiting 20 mins to setting up my ****, with the avid design it is so ****in easy and simple to dial in your brakes. the caliper mounting system is brilliant, and the lever and pad contact adjust are great features.

anyway theres my rambling piece of advice.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
hope m6 hafe never the power like juicy7!! i hafe run in front a 225mm hope ti6 in back a ti6/m4 but i was disappointed no stopping power..
shimano xt 4pisten and the juicy7 are my favorite, the magura brakes are bad.... and to expensive for a salad oil filled brake.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
zedro said:
you guys should be saying:

BUY HOPE. AND NEW PADS.

because these overpriced brakes dont seem to come with the right ones :nopity:
I don't know about that. Mine have been absolutely silent for over a year now... maybe people are putting things on them that they shouldn't be. (washing them with something that makes them squeek, then not cleaning the rotors, etc...) :clue:

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Mountain_Dewd said:
i never felt like the mono 6's had the power...
All these complaints about the Monos :nopity: . I have a pair of M4s on my trail bike and a pair of M6s on the DH rig and they both work wonderfully. I think a lot of the woes that people have with Hopes is the setup.
Can't speak for the Juicys but the monos have much better stopping power and are much more durable then Hayes Mag.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
eater said:
hope m6 hafe never the power like juicy7!! i hafe run in front a 225mm hope ti6 in back a ti6/m4 but i was disappointed no stopping power..
shimano xt 4pisten and the juicy7 are my favorite, the magura brakes are bad.... and to expensive for a salad oil filled brake.
XT's run on "salad oil" as well. And how are the maguras bad? I really like them and with a 5 year warranty I can't see why not to buy them. Light, durable, and have good modulation but not too much. By the way I wouldn't use magura blood as salad oil, for some reason I can't see it being too tasty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm up in the air. i currently run hayes, but for my new rig i am going either hope m4/front mono/rear or magura. i have ridden both (and liked both) so i think its going to come down to weight.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
jonKranked said:
i'm up in the air. i currently run hayes, but for my new rig i am going either hope m4/front mono/rear or magura. i have ridden both (and liked both) so i think its going to come down to weight.
Depends on which model you are getting. I will be running Louise FR's later this season. They are lighter than every other comparable brake.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
bballe336 said:
Depends on which model you are getting. I will be running Louise FR's later this season. They are lighter than every other comparable brake.
but if You weigh more than 150lbs will they stop You ??

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
I'd go M4's with the 'floating' disc.

As long as your mounts are faced correctly they shouldn't howl.

The new post mount style are extremely easy to set up as well and virtually do away with the need for the washers (virtually because you might still need to space the front out e.g. 888's), I think it took me a less than a minute to do the first one!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bballe336 said:
No, they're a few grams heavier than the mono M4s for the same size rotor, check the weight-weenies site.

Anyhow, I've never felt my M4s were lacking power, just great modulation and great power all the time. I ran a 185 rotor, and only upgraded to 200mm so I could keep the same caliper on my new fork. I've tried juicys and lots of other brakes, and I've never been let down with the hopes nor has anything felt that much better to me.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Jm_ said:
No, they're a few grams heavier than the mono M4s for the same size rotor, check the weight-weenies site.

Anyhow, I've never felt my M4s were lacking power, just great modulation and great power all the time. I ran a 185 rotor, and only upgraded to 200mm so I could keep the same caliper on my new fork. I've tried juicys and lots of other brakes, and I've never been let down with the hopes nor has anything felt that much better to me.
Well, in that case I don't consider the m4's comparable :p

But I guess what works for me doesn't work for everyone. I am glad that you are happy with your hopes. Maybe someone else (myself) could be just as happy with maguras.

Feb 13, 2006
bballe336 said:
Well, in that case I don't consider the m4's comparable :p

But I guess what works for me doesn't work for everyone. I am glad that you are happy with your hopes. Maybe someone else (myself) could be just as happy with maguras.
I have Hope Mono M4 on one bike (35 lbs) and Magura Louise FR on another bike (bigger, 43 lbs).

The Hope are 200/180

The Magura are 210/190

The Hope are more powerful, slightly grabby like a Hayes DH, noisier when wet.

The Magura have excellent power and outstanding modulation, better than I've ever used.

I've heard that the great feel of the Maguras is due to their Galfer rotor and pad spec. I've heard that many other brakes can be made to feel just as sweet with Galfer pads & rotors.

The Magura also have that cool "turkey gobble" sound sometimes.

If I were buying new right now, I'd buy Louise FR if I wanted great modulation, Mono M4 if I wanted a bit "grabbier", Hayes DH if I wanted on/off grabbiness.

never used Avid Juicy or Formula, can't talk about them.