Quantcast

brake suggestion

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I'm planning to upgrade(?) my Hayes HFX-9 with either the Juicy 5 or Juicy 7. They seem to be popular even though they aren't supposed to be for DH. I'm looking to save a little weight and get a more powerful, better feeling brake in the process. Is the juicy 5/7 a good choice?

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
How much do you weigh and on what bike? i've found that throwing a stick through the spokes works better for braking then hayes does. all joking aside you will be happy with a set of Juicys whether it be 5 or 7. i own a pair of Juicy 5's on 8 inch rotors and i weight 165lbs and they have great stopping power and the modulations amazing as compared the hfx9's that came stock on the bike.

The juicy's also don'thave the problem with the "Walking" lever that works its way closer to the bars or the problem with the little ball joint popping out and then then not staying put anymore.

bottom line:
Upgrade to the juicy's.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
You really cant go wrong with the Juicies good reliable brake
See if you can get some Saint or XT brakes, very simple and do their job very well, personally i prefer them over the juicys.

Either way you cant go wrong pretty much anything will be an improvement over HFX9s

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
NO! I did the same thing, and had a heck of a time with them....with them warrantied 3 times......

stick with the Hayes......its more cost effective...and you will be unhappy when you keep having issues instead of riding...

Saving some weight is not worth giving up performance....If you have any questions, call Rob at Snowshoe. He's the wrench up there, and he can tell you the realities of these brakes. If you want to use Avid's, Codes are the ONLY way to go.

Best of luck...Cheers!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
You're kidding right? Even SRAM says they suck for DH...

How do you explain that? or the fact that everyone who road on them last year had issues......

Do a search on here......GREAT for XC, but if you want to ride Avid's for DH, get the Codes or something made for DH/FR specific. Let me put it another way, I bought, use beat up Hayes, bleed them, and bastardized the entire set, and they worked FAR better that 5's or 7's.....

Juicy's, great for XC.....awesome in fact...for DH.....not.

I still get blown away this is even debated....regardless of your choice however, best of luck with it! :thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Even SRAM says they suck for DH...
Um, actually they don't. In fact, I doubt any manufacturer would say any of their products "sucked" for anything.

In 06 the juicy5/7/carbon listed DH as a recommended use. In 07 the juicy carbon still lists DH as a recommended use.

All 3 of those brakes are the same physically in terms of pads and master/slave cylinder ratios. So you're pretty much wrong. :)

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Seriously, Juicy7 are great for DH. I'd recommend the 7 because of the red dial, which I find quite useful. Apart for SK6, I've never heard anybody complaining about the Juicy for DH. The Codes are better...but the Juicy are fine. :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I could have sworn I saw a link to a pair of near new gustavs in your signature.

Why the hell would you consider buying new brakes? Gustavs are the most powerful. If saving money is what you want, stick to what you have and get new pads and lines.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I could have sworn I saw a link to a pair of near new gustavs in your signature.

Why the hell would you consider buying new brakes? Gustavs are the most powerful. If saving money is what you want, stick to what you have and get new pads and lines.
yeah, long story with those gustavs. I weight about 195, and ride a 50lb Demo 9. So I wanted something with very good power and I know the gustav is it. However, I want to shave some weight off this bike, not make it heavier. So I figured I would sell the gustavs and get some 'good enough' juicy 5s, and keep the change. all that said, I think I'll just use the gustavs and deal with the weight.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
another vote for juicy brakes!!! I just upgraded as well, never realized how well brakes can actually work.

I'm even running 7" in back and it's still MORE than enough power. Super easy to setup as a result of the v-brake pad style hardware, easy to bleed, and they are pretty. Most everyone I know with the codes complain that they are too powerful... you're either skidding or you're not braking with those.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well, if you are trying to save weight, get the juicies. Put your gustavs up for sale and when they sell, replace them.

Codes are the hot ticket now, so juicies can be had for cheap.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
i've got juicy 3s with 6 inch rotors and they still work wicked for dh. better than hayes hfx. the mags are better than juicy3s though. they are a pretty strong brake.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The formulas are sooooo expensive. retail is ~ $275 per wheel without rotor or adapter for the biancos....then $75 - $150 for rotor and adapter. Ouch!! they look good, but that is a LOT of $$ for cast aluminum.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Um, actually they don't. In fact, I doubt any manufacturer would say any of their products "sucked" for anything.

In 06 the juicy5/7/carbon listed DH as a recommended use. In 07 the juicy carbon still lists DH as a recommended use.

All 3 of those brakes are the same physically in terms of pads and master/slave cylinder ratios. So you're pretty much wrong. :)
Actually, they in fact did. And, as I've stated, users input last summer is simple enough to gather. And of course the wrench at Snowshoe can give you statistic....

When a brake fails, during a race run, twice, I have to be honest, I can't say I'm a fan.

if they work for you, awesome. I heard so much about how awesome they were, and was absolutely devastated...I expected SO much, and had nothing but issues.

Cheers.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The formulas are sooooo expensive. retail is ~ $275 per wheel without rotor or adapter for the biancos....then $75 - $150 for rotor and adapter. Ouch!! they look good, but that is a LOT of $$ for cast aluminum.
My buddy just got Biancos for 200 a wheel (new) and they included rotors and adapters.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Actually, they in fact did.
Where? So SRAM/Avid advertised that "juicies suck for DH".

You're gonna have to dig up some hard evidence for anyone to believe that, and you still haven't shown any. Considering the whole pack of SRAM sponsored racers raced/won on them over seasons gone by, i'm doubting you - just a little :).

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Where? So SRAM/Avid advertised that "juicies suck for DH".

You're gonna have to dig up some hard evidence for anyone to believe that, and you still haven't shown any. Considering the whole pack of SRAM sponsored racers raced/won on them over seasons gone by, i'm doubting you - just a little :).

Pick up a phone there kiddo...:lighten:

Here...is is a video to prove my point....

:D

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Err yeah, did you even read my previous post?

By the way, I STILL don't see where SRAM say "juicies suck for DH". Ten points for effort though.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The issue is this with the Juicy sevens, the braking material used in their pads and the light weight design of their calipers. Why, you may ask? Its because after all of the cussing and brake failures, by not only myself, but 95% of individuals at Snowshoe who ran the Seven's, is the fact the brakes are not designed to DH, because there is poor heat dissipation.

Thats not to say the brakes suck mind you, but they are not designed for downhill. This lack of heat dissipation superheats the brake fluid. Now I was told "unofficially" to go to a heavier fluid, IE..DOT 5, improved the brakes, but marginally.

The brakes I had were sent back, and rebuilt twice...then were replaced twice. All the while I was told the brake are NOT meant for downhill, and are a poor choice for that application (They suck for downhill). :p

If you have had luck with them great! I based my purchase on posts like this, and made the decision to go with these brakes. Live and learn....I had bad luck, and MOST if not all people I know who ran them (past tense verb usage here) last year got rid of them, or were given a discount to upgrade to the Codes...

Cheers!

Have a great weekend everyone, and have a great ride.....! :cheers:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think the whole "juicy 5/7s not meant for DH" thing is bogus. I have had great luck with mine on my XC bike and my DH bike and so have a bunch of others I know. Oh, they recommend the Juicy Carbon for DH because I'm sure that tossing on a carbon lever and ti hardware makes it instantly better in every respect.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The juicy carbon's that are rated for DH on the page you linked, use identical calipers, levers, and pads to the juicy7. The only difference is a lashing of ti bolts / carbon levers. The stock pads glaze up a little easy - but plenty of guys here on RM have switched to galfer or other alternatives and had positive experiences. Same story for many local riders I know.

By the way, you've wrongly assumed that i'm defending the brakes because I run them. I run saints on all my bikes at the moment... just being objective here.

You went ahead and dismissed a brake with false info (ie. sram obviously DIDN'T say juicies sucked for DH), and the rest of your claims sound like garbage as well. Either the techs over there are morons (which is entirely possible!) or you misunderstood them.

1. A heavier fluid will in NO WAY improve a brake system, thinner fluids will assist in speeding up lever return/response, and also assist in bleeding as air will rise through it much easier.

2. DOT5 is a silicone based fluid, and is completely incompatible with the brake - which must use a polyglycol ether fluid (DOT3/4/5.1). I'm guessing you're thinking of DOT5.1, but in that case it defies your claim of being recommended a heavier fluid. Why? Because DOT5.1 is a DOT certification that was designed for ABS brakes that require a lower viscosity to give adequate response with the smaller orificies used. What that means is that a fluid that meets the DOT5.1 standard will be of a lower viscosity than a DOT3 or DOT4 rated fluid.

I could pick the rest of your post to pieces too (calipers too light? that's a joke), but basically, i'm fairly confident that you could have made the brakes work well if you knew how to - it's fairly evident that you don't. It's a fair call if you want something to have the right pads, the right bleed, and the right fluid out of the box - but there's no need to dismiss a reasonably good product because of that. Most people are willing to throw in a new set of pads to get the most out of a brake (which is ALL you needed to do to them).

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ahh....for your information.....I am a mechanical design engineer...have been for 21+ years. Although changing careers, I have worked on things that would blow your mind....therefore, based on my background, my assertions are dead on.

Second, if a manufacturer states, for the record, the are NOT meant for downhill, and are a poor choice thereof, well, what does that tell you?

And, before YOU get technical, take a few courses in thermodynamics, and fluidics......mmmk? If you believe the manufacturer is incorrect in their assessment of their own product, I would strongly urge you to contact them directly.

And your comment in a heavier fluid is way off base......actually, does not make any sense whatsoever....

But, like I said, if you like them, their product, for the uses you propose.....knock your bad self out. Glad it works for you.

Have a nice day. :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Prove me wrong then.

I thought my comments RE: fluid viscosity were quite understandable, and I know for a fact my comments on different DOT fluids are correct. Good luck.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I dont care what everybody thinks but Ive been racing on Juicy 7s for 2 years now and I love m to death.
A close friend of mine is a distributor for Hope in the Benelux so I can easily get Hopes for peanuts but no way Im changing them for my Juicy's...
I do agree that Hayes suck though. :biggrin:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Second, if a manufacturer states, for the record, the are NOT meant for downhill, and are a poor choice thereof, well, what does that tell you?
I've used XC cranks on my DH bike and DH bars on my XC bike. I don't see the problem.

Plus, you keep harping on how SRAM is constantly stressing that they are not for DH. As both Udi and myself have pointed out, SRAM does identify the Juicy carbons as DH-worthy. So, ti hardware and a carbon lever blade make them good suddenly? Please. If anything, they are less good for DH because of those changes. If you still think that SRAM says "Juicys suck for DH" then they must also be saying "Juicys are awesome for DH. "Explain that one, since, apparently, SRAM's intended uses are so important to you.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
get your'e self a set off bianco's with the largest rotor opion that formula has to offer.I'm willing to buy a set off bianco.Ligth weigth,super powerfull,nice design and preformence.I run know Juicy 3 on my DH rig instead off the hayes and they worked very well.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I use 8" BB7s for DHing. I love them they are simple tried and true. I use their levers as well. I love them. They work great at slowing my 45lb. bike down.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
LOL!!!! Ya got to love the irony of it all....no one seems to take stock in calling the manufacturer.....

Logic is an area that seems to be so elusive as well....

1. If said brakes, suited your purpose, and they in fact did not fail, nd you liked the way worked....why is their a debate? It failed for me and numerous others....fact. To get into the logistics, or even teaching basic statistics is simply illogical......common sense people, common sense......employment of which would benifit greatly.

It is OK, to have an opposing point of view based on fact, facts derived from personal experiences and input from others one is familiar with, and trust. Your experiences netted you a different outcome.....I have been saying that over and over...I beleive the debate is the issue. The relevant issue is in re the brakes, Juicy Seven's.

Facts were stated, opinions were expressed. Why the chill comment? Someone got technical information was given, debated, and the rebuttal was not substantiated...no worries, whatever....

So, to REPEAT what I said. Now listen....don't just here it, but actually listen....

If the Juicy Seven's worked for you without issue...awesome, glad it worked out. It however did not for me, and numerous other indivisuals varying in degrees of riding, from pro's, to hardly can make it down the mountain alive or without any style (me :D ).

So, have a great weekend, ride hard, ride well, ride safe, have fun.

Have a nice day. :)