Quantcast

"Bridging The Fixie/BMX Gap?"

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
i want to make it clear, i dont doubt the skill. (as originally posted) i just do not agree with the bike choice, although if it is meant for it, ill have to eat my words on that 1.
So what are you saying? You're the bike police? A bike NAZI? WTF? :rofl:

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
In my opinion, what is gay, is riding a bike that is CLEARLY not meant for this, and this whole hipster scene.
Whether you like it or not, it seems like the lines between the different disciples of biking are all being blurred more and more. and the new offerings reflect this, just for one example, take a look at Volume bikes, they make a fixed gear for tricking.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Whether you like it or not, it seems like the lines between the different disciples of biking are all being blurred more and more. and the new offerings reflect this, just for one example, take a look at Volume bikes, they make a fixed gear for tricking.
See if the bike is made for it, more power to them, i just sit at work all day and fix the XC bikes people think are made for street and DJ. I sit and have to argue with more people that i should on how a hardrock sport is different than a blackmarket. I DO NOT look forward to having to explain how a fixie isn't a bmx bike.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
See if the bike is made for it, more power to them, i just sit at work all day and fix the XC bikes people think are made for street and DJ. I sit and have to argue with more people that i should on how a hardrock sport is different than a blackmarket. I DO NOT look forward to having to explain how a fixie isn't a bmx bike.
There is a big fixie scene here in Charlotte, often times we have to fix b.s. old road frames that people turned into fixed "freestylers". I had this one guy bring in his old raleigh turned fixed, the head tube was cracked, so I asked him what he was doing mostly. He of course said "kinda like bmx stuff, but on fixed gear" so I showed him a Specialized P1, and said this would work a lot better... he got super indignant and said its not meant for what he wants to do...

To the person who wrote something like... "no pads or helmet: burly": stay in school little dude, not wearing a helmet doesn't make you burly, it makes you dumb. Especially riding a bike that has a fixed drivetrain/no brakes which raises the likelihood that you will loose control. The only thing I see from fixed gear riders is a general need for some kind of attention. The Let's ride bmx style stuff, but on bikes that were not originally designed for it, then we'll be way different - mentality reminds me of 14 year old emo kids. Come to think of it... most fixed gear riders reminds me of 14 year old emo kids.

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
true, but what is it that's gay? I ponder this and cant find an answer that fits.

1) he's riding a rail. burly

2) no pads or helmet. burly

3) at night or in front of a statue. burly

4) brakeless. burly

5)probably 180's the ****. burly

so I can't seem to figure out what the drama is? I see more mtb dudes bagging on this than 20" riders now. So riding a rail with a 26 is proper but 3 more inches and thin tires is shunned?

But also, who are these new acrobats, are they former 20" riders busting on mtbs?

are they 26" riders busting on 20"?

Or are they pure-bread, rode nothing before a 29" fixie but now im killing rails and soon to be slayin trails, riders???

the s**t is gay though!:think:
You are getting hate from more mtn bikers since you are on a mtn biker forum. Lately I have been strapping two bananas to each of my feet and have been sliding hand rails.

1) Awesome cause it has never been done before

2) It is on a handrail, burly!

3) I DID NOT WEAR a helmet - burleee!

4) NO BRAKES/BREAKS!!!

Shut up.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You are getting hate from more mtn bikers since you are on a mtn biker forum. Lately I have been strapping two bananas to each of my feet and have been sliding hand rails.

1) Awesome cause it has never been done before

2) It is on a handrail, burly!

3) I DID NOT WEAR a helmet - burleee!

4) NO BRAKES/BREAKS!!!

Shut up.
But was it in front of a statue? Cuz that's WAY burly if it's in front of a statue.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Clearly what im saying :rolleyes: Should i venture to guess that you rock out with a pant leg rolled up and a messenger bag?
My riding choice is either skatepark or Mountain Freeride. (Slopestyle) with an occasional street session on a MTBMX. I've never had a fixie, or anything resembling it. I went from BMX to mountain bikes.
Somehow that doesn't cause me to think someone on a fixie is "gay", or for that matter, anyone else that rides. Be it bicycle, skateboard, scooter, rollerblades, whatever. :thumb:

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I've never had a fixie, or anything resembling it. I went from BMX to mountain bikes.
Somehow that doesn't cause me to think someone on a fixie is "gay", or for that matter, anyone else that rides. Be it bicycle, skateboard, scooter, rollerblades, whatever. :thumb:

boom. i'm with you 100%
the more bikes riding whatever the better. i think its dope. and the whole fixed gear freestyle thing reminds of when when street/park mtb scene came around and everyone thought that was stupid.

fixedgear freestyle is alright by me.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Meh. I have mixed feelings about fixie freestyle. And I'm definitely not one to hate on different types of bikes (well, I tease sometimes :)). I actually own and ride all types of bikes: 16", 20", 24", ss 26", fs 26", 29", and that 700c bowery. I think comparing the hate against fixie freestyle to the hate against "mtbmx" is unfair and not the same. The basic argument from bmxers is "get the right tool for the job." But, I think there can be a valid argument made, that a lot of times, the bigger wheels of a 24 or 26 mtbmx ARE the right tool for the job. Or, at least a tool that can help a rider do that type of riding more comfortably. The main benefits being size, stability, and sometimes suspension. If you're a grown man (or a big kid) blasting through trails or a skatepark... a "mtbmx" can make you a better (or at least a more comfortable) rider. Not to mention the whole slopestyle scene that is gradually taking bmx type tricks bigger and bigger.

But, for fixie freestyle... I just don't get it. There is nothing about that type of bike that would make bmx type riding easier, better, more fun, or more comfortable. Even the whole concept of riding a bike fixie is taking a huge step backwards. Bikes used to be that way, but the freewheel was invented for a reason. And I've heard the argument of "but it feels so good. you just can't explain it. it's like being 'one' with the bike." Whatever. I've ridden them, it does feel different (duh), but in no way better. I like being able to coast and to fly down hills faster than I can spin. And I guarantee it doesn't feel as "as one" as I do while flowing through trails on my bike built for the job. I just think the whole fixie scene tries too hard to be cool and to grab attention, instead of actually finding enjoyment from riding bikes.

But, then there's also part of me that says, "It's just bikes. Bikes are rad. Whatever you want to do on your bike that allows you to have fun is fine with me." So, if that's the true motive... get down then! :thumb:

Last edited:

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
You should get a halflink in your chain and cut out that ugly tensioner on that pretty bike. Did that with my 29er and it works much better and no chain issues ever, though it does usually take a decent ride to stretch out to the perfect length.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I agree with Cru there. However my dislike for fixed gear is more for their general lack of consideration of others with their wizzing in and out of traffic with no helmet or regard for their safety. The freestyle I just find... redundant. Get a bike that is truly designed to handle all of these things and then you are set, hell you might learn more tricks..

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
for the most part, if you can make the trick look good on any bike i'm down. when the fixed guys have to 'set their pedals' to do a trick, its gross.

this dude has a bmx background and shows good style on the fixed gear.
his hang 5's look sick.

http://vimeo.com/9605518

a couple other dudes who make it look good imo are tom lamarche and the guy wonka. other than that its pretty cringe worthy.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
me n my buddies got into fixed gear just cuz it was something goofy and different to throw into the bland mix of riding to work. doing that enough got my buddy (in earlier pics) just dickin around with small tricks on the way to work.

the whole fixed gear freestyle thing does look like using a tow truck to win an f-1 race, but theres something about going out riding spots on a bike that can actually go places too. and the fixed gear part does help with some of the tricks.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
for the most part, if you can make the trick look good on any bike i'm down. when the fixed guys have to 'set their pedals' to do a trick, its gross.

this dude has a bmx background and shows good style on the fixed gear.
his hang 5's look sick.

http://vimeo.com/9605518

a couple other dudes who make it look good imo are tom lamarche and the guy wonka. other than that its pretty cringe worthy.
all you need to do is clip the "pedal set" out of the clip and its problem solved. i really havent seen anybody that can bunnyhop with their pedals in every unique part of the rotation

happysmiley

Chimp
Feb 28, 2009
Oxnard, CA
Here's a plus for fixed gear freestyle, some people want one bike, might not have a car, and commute everywhere by bike. Bikes with 700c wheels are fast and better for going long distances than bmx and slammed mtnbikes. As a bonus for anyone who has the personality type that may get bored just riding your bike, you can do tricks on them too. The fixed gear puts a different spin on tricks you can learn. The beauty of it all is that people will push themselves to excel in their own way at chosen pastimes for reasons typically unmotivated simply by monetary or vaginal reward.

Those who really love riding fixed gears and fixed gear freestyle will continue to do so and obviously don't really care what other people think, just like anyone else who is passionate about, or loves the pastimes they choose. I see groups of friends with fixed gears riding with bmx'rs and skaters and all having fun. They don't think they are better or cooler than anyone else. Different stroke for different folks, who cares.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what i thought would happen seems to be happening out there . . . from Japan no less . . .

BMX ----> full-fixie ----> rigid MTBMX with fixed hub

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
The only next step is to eliminate cranks and pedals for trail riding. Balance bikes for adults. We've already exaggerated the pedal stroke, next step is to eliminate it.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Fsck skin color, everybody's blue
Then what would all these bigots do?
Instead of your tone, they'd hate your size
That's why I must poke out all of their eyes

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Heh heh, next is the genius idea of switching from fixed to SS at the flip of a switch!!! Oh wait, been done.

. . . . the 1987 Mongoose Decade Pro's ACS Freetrack hub. . . . . . . Ever ride that thing Joel !?!?!?

http://urbanvelo.org/fixed-and-free-with-the-sram-torpedo-hub/

The SRAM Torpedo is the first production hub that switches from fixed to freewheel. Just a few turns of a screwdriver swaps it from one mode to another. Hubs like this have been on plenty of wish lists over the years for a multitude of uses. One could ride fixed for most of a long tour and cut to freewheel for the mountain downhill stretches. Or just have one bike with the choice between the two, all without flipping the wheel over. This conversion comes with a penalty – 480g worth for the internal guts needed for a hub like this. Only time will tell if the mechanisms that make the switcheroo possible has any backlash with backpressure or can handle the skidding that is so common with many fixed riders. The real question is if we will see this hub for sale in the North American market. We’ll keep you posted.

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Heh heh, next is the genius idea of switching from fixed to SS at the flip of a switch!!! Oh wait, been done.

. . . . the 1987 Mongoose Decade Pro's ACS Freetrack hub. . . . . . . Ever ride that thing Joel !?!?!?

http://urbanvelo.org/fixed-and-free-with-the-sram-torpedo-hub/

The SRAM Torpedo is the first production hub that switches from fixed to freewheel. Just a few turns of a screwdriver swaps it from one mode to another. Hubs like this have been on plenty of wish lists over the years for a multitude of uses. One could ride fixed for most of a long tour and cut to freewheel for the mountain downhill stretches. Or just have one bike with the choice between the two, all without flipping the wheel over. This conversion comes with a penalty – 480g worth for the internal guts needed for a hub like this. Only time will tell if the mechanisms that make the switcheroo possible has any backlash with backpressure or can handle the skidding that is so common with many fixed riders. The real question is if we will see this hub for sale in the North American market. We’ll keep you posted.
They asked me to try it out 20 years ago and I said no, that's gay/stupid. So for the record, I'm 20 years ahead of the "fixies are gay" phenomenon. I win. :)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
They asked me to try it out 20 years ago and I said no, that's gay/stupid. So for the record, I'm 20 years ahead of the "fixies are gay" phenomenon. I win. :)
That one guy on the BMX Action Trick Team rode a fixed rear hub - I think his name was Pat Romero. He came from a circus background and his bike was setup all crazy. I can't find a pic of him now but I'll look thru some old issues.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
He came from a circus background and his bike was setup all crazy.
NO ONE should hate on fixed gears. its because of these bikes that we can thank for progression into other diciplines such as bmx and mtb "freestyle" and flat land. fixed trick riding is the origional freestyling and most flat land bmx tricks and just "tricks" in general can be attributed to fixed circus riding from like 90 years ago.

the argument to say "we have developed more technology so why not use it" is stupid, its like saying im not going to drive a classic muscle car because my new civic has fuel injection and air bags. really ****

i appreciate skill on any bike it doesnt matter, if your good and show me something i havent seen before then i respect that.

i dont have a typical 700c fixie, but i did recently build a fully rigid 26" bike out of stuff i had in my parts bin and decided to make it fixed, and you know what, its alot of fun, and it gets hate from everyone including the fixed guys so i love it.

my only problem with fixies is the fixed scene with hipsters that really know nothing about bikes but have a fixie because its just as trendy as having some gay ass sunglasses, so in general i hate some of the people but not the bikes

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
NO ONE should hate on fixed gears. its because of these bikes that we can thank for progression into other diciplines such as bmx and mtb "freestyle" and flat land. fixed trick riding is the origional freestyling and most flat land bmx tricks and just "tricks" in general can be attributed to fixed circus riding from like 90 years ago.
Show me a crank flip :D

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Actually that guy I was thinking about was Pat Romano (not Romero). I wasn't hating on him - just that he had some odd things back in the 80's. We should thank him for the bomerang trick - something he brought over from the circus style riding.

He has some clips in this old Mtn Dew commercial:

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
just my two cents, I dont hate on fixed tricking, but it definitely looks very awkward at times. 180's and other tricks just look so ungainly on a bike like that.
That being said, the fact that you can backpedal on a fixed gear gives those riders the ability to do many tricks that a regular freewheel bike would have no chance of doing.
look at this video from 0:42-1:00.
Mike Chacon in San Diego on Vimeo
If i want to see a fixed video, im more interested in seeing that kind of stuff.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
tinker juarez (bmx and mtb legend) has often said that his influence on a bike came from his dad riding a fixed bike and that those tricks have been around for a long long time.