Quantcast

Bromont World Cup

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
hey all
quick gallery uploaded of a selection from a rain-filled Bromont World Cup ...
http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Bromont_2008/
off home now to dry out & clean camera gear ...
laters
gary

Way too many killer shots to even choose a favorite from those. Makes me wish I was much younger with the potential to be fast enough to be photographed by you, 'cuz I'd sure be training my ass off to get to that point!

The only question I must ask is how many shoes does Jonnier have???

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
the womens 4x podium has some cuties.
Oh, and as usual awesome pics Gary. Your pics always have that extra something that is missing from most sports pics. I guess you could call it overall mood, and a peak inside the athletes actual personality.

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Sam wasn't looking at him, he was turned around at the score board which was up by the finish line along with most of the crowd. Seems some people will look for any way to criticize that guy.
also seems some people will find any excuse to defend him too. Sam ignored Peaty, face it. if you watch when any of the other riders win like greg in fort william, peaty and rennie came up to him and congratulated him and then he lifted his bike over his head and then gee came up to him and they shook hands and embraced. not once did he look at the score board, when you win by 2 or more seconds you know you've won and you also know it cause everyone is congratulating you. there's no need to look up at the scoreboard and ignore a fellow competitor.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
thanks folks ... much appreciated. btw its victor lucas in the shadow pic ... my wife said the same thing as bizutch!

laters
g
Oh..you're holding Victor Lucas's hand. Sorry for the mix up. :thumb:

As for where Hill was looking, dumb e-argument. For all we know he lost a testicle in turn 2 & is looking back up the mountain to see if it's still on the track. Not even in reality here guys.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
also seems some people will find any excuse to defend him too. Sam ignored Peaty, face it. if you watch when any of the other riders win like greg in fort william, peaty and rennie came up to him and congratulated him and then he lifted his bike over his head and then gee came up to him and they shook hands and embraced. not once did he look at the score board, when you win by 2 or more seconds you know you've won and you also know it cause everyone is congratulating you. there's no need to look up at the scoreboard and ignore a fellow competitor.
maybe you should start winning some world cup races so you can show us all how it's done. and while your at it, go watch Gee cross the line for the win in Andorra and leave Sam hanging twice because he was looking elsewhere. he didn't do it on purpose, he just didn't cross the line thinking 'i need to make sure i hug everyone around me in order so the forum jockeys don't get mad at me.' :nopity:

I was standing about 10 feet away when he crossed the line in Bromont, no one was ignored or blown off. it was a solid 10 minutes before Sam could leave the finish area before he was done shaking hands. I guess i can forgive the guy if he wants to raise both arms in the air first and then start shaking hands. He only won a world cup race surely he can have a second or 2 to himself first, eh?

never mind, you're right. He's so good he must be an a$$hole, if he had any class at all he'd get down on the ground and shine Peat's shoes before he even thought about lifting his hands in the air to celebrate his win. I heard he sprayed the poor cameraman at the finish line with gravel just to be mean too. no one else who crossed the line did that and he easily could have avoided him. after all, apparently if you win by 2 seconds you already know it and should be courteous enough to enter the finish area under control. Sam's a big jerk.

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
maybe you should start winning some world cup races so you can show us all how it's done. and while your at it, go watch Gee cross the line for the win in Andorra and leave Sam hanging twice because he was looking elsewhere. he didn't do it on purpose, he just didn't cross the line thinking 'i need to make sure i hug everyone around me in order so the forum racers don't get mad at me.' :nopity:

I was standing about 10 feet away when he crossed the line in Bromont, no one was ignored or blown off. it was a solid 10 minutes before Sam could leave the finish area before he was done shaking hands.
i never defended Gee, you defended sam. if gee ignored him then great. but this isnt the only time i'v seen sam "offish" around race time, there's a guy over here that is like what i've seen of sam, wicked fast and a great guy but when he's in the race mode he hasnt got time for being friendly. all that counts is winning or whatever and he tends to ignore the rest of us until way after the race has finnished. personally i dont think its a good thing but hey, im not a 4 time world champion and most probably never will be. to me it looks like he was all hyped up wit the race and didnt notice gee. sorry if i came across sh*tty but i dont know if i've spent too much time on pinkbike or what but it seems to me that every second person on the internet is a Sam Hill fanboy that jumps to his defence no matter what he's done wrong.

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
never mind, you're right. He's so good he must be an a$$hole, if he had any class at all he'd get down on the ground and shine Peat's shoes before he even thought about lifting his hands in the air to celebrate his win. I heard he sprayed the poor cameraman at the finish line with gravel just to be mean too. no one else who crossed the line did that and he easily could have avoided him. after all, apparently if you win by 2 seconds you already know it and should be courteous enough to enter the finish area under control. Sam's a big jerk.
was that last part quoted above really nessisary?? i never said anything of the sort and neither did anyone else. and if someone did they need a wake up call. vread what i wrote about about Sam.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
there's a guy over here that is like what i've seen of sam, wicked fast and a great guy but when he's in the race mode he hasnt got time for being friendly. all that counts is winning or whatever and he tends to ignore the rest of us until way after the race has finnished. personally i dont think its a good thing but hey, im not a 4 time world champion and most probably never will be.
Sounds like someone taken their job serious and doing what they need to do to perform. I can be this way with just a normal job. When I am working I can black out the rest of the world and just focus on what I am doing. Guess I am a jerk:rolleyes:

Working for a World Cup athlete is not just when the clock is running. It is before and after the race getting focused. Pay attention at your next race, do you within 1 minute of finishing your race start shaking all your buddies hands? I am guessing you don't you are catching your breath and debriefing your run in your head. In the freecaster video you get to see all of 15 seconds after same crosses the finish line.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Sounds like someone taken their job serious and doing what they need to do to perform. I can be this way with just a normal job. When I am working I can black out the rest of the world and just focus on what I am doing. Guess I am a jerk:rolleyes:

Working for a World Cup athlete is not just when the clock is running. It is before and after the race getting focused. Pay attention at your next race, do you within 1 minute of finishing your race start shaking all your buddies hands? I am guessing you don't you are catching your breath and debriefing your run in your head. In the freecaster video you get to see all of 15 seconds after same crosses the finish line.
i know what you saying, i guess i do it aswell and we cant really see whats cracking after those 15 seconds are up. maybe im too light hearted but i cant see how you can ignore a fellow top spot competitor. from what i've seen most of the top guys have a good relationship with one another and are good friends, thats always the feeling i've got when i'v talked to greg about it. the all take it in the spirit of things, when they get to the bottom they're stocked whether they win or lose. Sam seems like he's really really serious about this whole business and treats it as work more so than the rest who seem to treat it as something fun. there's a pic of the fort bill podium that shows what it looks like in the vid, Gee, Greg, Steve and Nathan are all smiling and loving being on the podium and hill doesnt have the slightest hint of a smile on his face. and at fort william worlds last year in the post race interview going on about how he took different lines in practice because everyone was getting all sneaky with their video camera's ready to steal his lines and all that. his opposition have their own lines and ended up proving that they were fast enough on their own with qualifying times a second slower than his winning time and barel nearly beating him with a run in much worse conditions and the to top it off greg ending up only 8 seconds off sam after falling 2minutes into his run and riding the last 2minutes 20seconds of the finals with a broken scapula. so who exactly was going to steal his "magic lines"?? to me he takes this whole lot far too seriously. But hey, it works for him. weird how comments about dissing other riders turns to how people block things out when the concentrating isnt it?:shocked:

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Seems you have a rather bad case of TPS

" it is seen as a societal phenonmenon in which people of genuine merit are criticised or resented because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
now comon y'all, we can do better than this. Let's all sit down with each other and get down to the underlying feelings we have for our competiturds. Perhaps we can alleviate this problem of being too sensitive on appearances of images in media ad nauseum.:ban:

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Gary,

i don't usually comment on pics, but after seeing the one of the chairlift/ mud puddle reflection i had to...i don't even know how you would think to look for that? as always awesome stuff, i don't race world cups anymore but you give me a good insight with each gallery.

hey all
quick gallery uploaded of a selection from a rain-filled Bromont World Cup ...
http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Bromont_2008/
off home now to dry out & clean camera gear ...
laters
gary

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't faulting him even if he was taking the time to bask in the win before shaking hands. I don't hate just because someone is dominant. Hell I liked the GOAT as well...

Sam wasn't looking at him, he was turned around at the score board which was up by the finish line along with most of the crowd. Seems some people will look for any way to criticize that guy.
On another note. Damn, why can't Geoff catch a friggin break this year.

Last edited:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Yeti coverage is up on itunes and I'd assume their website. I really digg Clay's work.

i always wanted to use that ladytron track to a bike video.

perfect Clay. dang you got to it first. that track was DE______ED

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Clay never ceases to amaze me.

The gnar of racing, the fun, the emotion, the personalities, the soundtracks, just nails it all.

I have a total different opinion of you....

I saw some scenes of F1rst....My God, what a boring movie....since Synopsis(that is one of the worst race movies) is always the same thing....interviews and blablabla, Sam Hill is blablabla....a lot of drama...and more interviews...and now a narrator....Thank God I didn't buy this movie.

A race movie must be like Stars Bars(one of the best race movies of 2007 season with Earthed5 and Re-Focus)....funny, good music, good edit only this...it's simple...and not all that drama.

Ooohhh...some people will say..."this is a documentary"....What Clay wants...an Oscar????

Clay must find another ideas.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'm a big fan of everything Clay Porter has not released on a full length DVD. For whatever reason i;ve never been a fan of his movies but all of his teasers and online releases (the yeti vids for instance) have been awesome.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I have a total different opinion of you....

I saw some scenes of F1rst....My God, what a boring movie....since Synopsis(that is one of the worst race movies) is always the same thing....interviews and blablabla, Sam Hill is blablabla....a lot of drama...and more interviews...and now a narrator....Thank God I didn't buy this movie.

A race movie must be like Stars Bars(one of the best race movies of 2007 season with Earthed5 and Re-Focus)....funny, good music, good edit only this...it's simple...and not all that drama.

Ooohhh...some people will say..."this is a documentary"....What Clay wants...an Oscar????

Clay must find another ideas.
I was praising the yeti podcasts clay does in my previous post.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I love his DVDs, dunno what you're all talking about! His narrative voice can sound a bit silly, but everything else is spot-on for me.