Quantcast

Bromont World Cup

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Any of the live sites use quicktime players as opposed to flash?

(Spot the guy who just got an iPhone and is hoping there'll be 3G coverage at the race he's at this weekend :D Damn thing doesn't work with flash yet though :()

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
©2001;3012237 said:
radicalness! you guys are killing it with coverage...i love it!
All of this good WC coverage is turning me into an addict. I feel like a fiend checking back every few minutes for the possibility of photos, videos or other reports. Good stuff!

x

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Unfortunately, until digital cameras are as cheap as I-pods, we'll never get to see an entire race run from top to bottom.
That said, I'm really satisfied with what we've been getting with these Freecaster broadcasts. I agreed with those who said we didn't see as much of the course at Mt Ste Anne but that's just the way it goes. Seeing snippets of exciting sections, the rider crossing the line (with the time shown), and the reaction of the crowd is pretty damn cool. I had stopped following racing with the same sort of excitement because everything was always second hand information. Pics and narrative are great but being able to see it, even in a truncated form, is amazing.

x

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Unfortunately, until digital cameras are as cheap as I-pods, we'll never get to see an entire race run from top to bottom.
they are. helmet cams can be had for 200 bucks. those give you top to bottoms.

live feed cameras and stuff are a bit more pricey still though.

also- i dont think you would want to see a run top to bottom, there are big chunks of most courses that dont show for crap on video, they just dont look good.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Any of the live sites use quicktime players as opposed to flash?

(Spot the guy who just got an iPhone and is hoping there'll be 3G coverage at the race he's at this weekend :D Damn thing doesn't work with flash yet though :()
There is a freecaster Iphone page. It isn't 100% yet, so only some section/videos play. Just open the site up in safari mobile.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I would like to see:
Rennie and Kovarik pull their f*cking heads out of their asses and get back in the game, and I'd like to see CG take something seriously for 10 minutes. Plenty of time for Jackass #3 AFTER racing! This is the WC, not Sunday in the park. Everyone can have fun riding bicycles in the OFF SEASON!
And take that with a grain of salt, someone's always there to stand at the top, I'd just like to see more of these CAPABLE guys trying to occupy that space...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
if rennie can pull 7th with his head in his ass, then I he must be capable of pulling 1st AND writing a noble prize winning novel if his head wasn't in his ass!

if you want more "serious" racers on the circuit, go race and be serious.

and who knows, if you win you can be like gwin, but without the heart-throb effect gained from a giant bar hump because you were busy being serious! :)

s.hill02

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Dont be custing out kovarik and rennie like you know there joyriding it. Kovarik has been stepping it up and with a good run is always in the contention for the top 5 same goes to rennie. While others were taking mellow runs on the all new race course, Rennie was taking every run like a race run.

However I agree with you about Cedric.............he's done for being a seroiusly contender on the wc circuit.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Whatever, you know EXACTLY what I'm saying. Rennie and Kovarik both have what it takes but it doesn't seem like they're focused on taking the win right now.
And how does bar-humping a little air time NOT make you serious about the win? 10th in his first WC? Sounds pretty serious to me!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Dont be custing out kovarik and rennie like you know there joyriding it. Kovarik has been stepping it up and with a good run is always in the contention for the top 5 same goes to rennie. While others were taking mellow runs on the all new race course, Rennie was taking every run like a race run.

However I agree with you about Cedric.............he's done for being a seroiusly contender on the wc circuit.
aside from dominating the 4x until the finals and getting the bad start and tacoing his wheel. He probably could have won it two, given that he was the only guy passing people. just because he has other stuff going on with his life that means his bread and butter don't depend on how he does doesn't mean he doesn't care about racing. He's clearly still trying to win, and he's clearly not gonna change who he is because everybody else is doing it. he's ALWAYS been "the character" on the circuit. He's still a damn good racer, and I'm not gonna be surprised to see him win a 4x

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet

Rennie threw away the DH by running the friggin 4X the day before. They had already said that anyone racing 4X was not going to be a contender for the DH the next day. Wasn't focused on the DH. And whatever, I mean he should still enjoy his job, just seems like he's not convinced he can take it.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
did you watch the Dirt Mag vid... Dan was passing people. he was killing people.

cedric is party balls in the public eye but he's business time on the track.

kovarik was on pace to be top 5 at St anne until he bobbled a tear off and one of the final turns.

knowing the full story- or at least more of it- would make you sound better. come look at the level all these top guys are at and see how many of them have their heads on straight when it comes time to race.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Sounds great...send me a ticket! That's EXACTLY what I'm saying though: Both the cats I mentioned are fully capable. Both look killer in practice, then seem to back off or committed to just pull a decent run. I'm married with kids and gotta be to work every morning by 5, I understand self preservation just fine. But I'm also not pulling in top 5 WC times. These guys CAN. I won't be surprised when they both land in the top 5, just wishing they'd hurry up and do it! That, I believe, was the point of my 1st post.

T-Boner

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Durango
Rennie threw away the DH by running the friggin 4X the day before. They had already said that anyone racing 4X was not going to be a contender for the DH the next day. Wasn't focused on the DH. And whatever, I mean he should still enjoy his job, just seems like he's not convinced he can take it.
Are you talking about maribor? Because that was the only 4x Rennie has done all year. That was also 3 months ago. Rennie has put down a 4th and 7th in the last two world cups. I don't think I would call that not trying...

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
put in for some time off, take your wife and kids to a world cup- stand on the sidelines and watch the top guys ride. when 5 of the top ten guys have a day where they are dialed compared to the other 5 that had a mistake or two in their run, then it's not a matter of being committed. they are all committed. you have to have a perfect run to win these days. watch the dirt vid where Billy has a shot from behind Gee in the hot seat and he says "it's not going to be enough" and he knows it- and he got 3rd. how are rennie and kovarik or anyone for that matter going to stand a chance in that kind of field if they have imperfect race runs? come watch first hand. you'll gain a lot of understanding that the videos and interviews and photos have a hard time portraying.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
when 5 of the top ten guys have a day where they are dialed compared to the other 5 that had a mistake or two in their run, then it's not a matter of being committed. they are all committed. you have to have a perfect run to win these days.
Good point indeed. Please don't think I'm that ignorant to not understand that, I do. And both guys have been in this game for a LOOOONG time now. How old is Kovarik anyway? Off topic, I've just been wondering.
I've lost enough races now to only get a taste of what these guys are going through. I just raced last weekend and placed 20 FULL SECONDS out of the top 3 in a 3 minute average time track. That was with two stupid little mistakes. I get it. Perhaps I'm just a closet fanboy who only wants to see a bunch of 30 year olds on the podium? :)

And I lost by 20 seconds, that's fairly easy to live with. Atleast I know where I can make that up. I can't IMAGINE losing by mere hundredths...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Gracia on the rock jump gap thingy to wood in his party jeans. Are they seriously tight enough? he blew out the crotch this run.

Blenkinsop plays in the mud.

Last edited:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
People who get race results like you really have no business saying what results WC racers should/could be getting. ;)
Whatever. I bombed, screwed it up. Took 6th and lost a little pride. I'm a bro not a pro. Ya know? Never claim to be anything but!
And I have all the business in the world! I love racing and want to see EVERYONE rippin it up! Besides...it was resulT, not resultS...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
you're missing the point. 7th place is a damn good result. 4th place is too. thats like saying "well, gee won at worlds, but he coulda been more focused." wtf are you talking about, these are fantastic results. notice how while they're top 10 everybody else isn't? rennie and kovarik are shredding gnar.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
you're missing the point. 7th place is a damn good result. 4th place is too. thats like saying "well, gee won at worlds, but he coulda been more focused." wtf are you talking about, these are fantastic results. notice how while they're top 10 everybody else isn't? rennie and kovarik are shredding gnar.
But at the same time I'm sure Rennie & Kovarik would probably both say "4th place is for pussies". :D

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
But at the same time I'm sure Rennie & Kovarik would probably both say "4th place is for pussies". :D
I donno, kovarik said his goal was was to make top 5 this year, and rennie looked pretty stoked on his 4th place at fort billiams