Quantcast

Bullit.....has anybody seen this?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think 67.5 is perfect if it is measured with the Totem up front. With the travel setup at 130mm the HA is around 69.5 which is perfect for climbing.
I think the Bullit will still slot as a dh bike for the cash-strapped set, and a 66 ha seems more appropriate.

However, SC is offering a 135mm option, which does imply they expect more all-mountain sales...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I always seem to be on these waves :banghead:...

Had one of the first bullits with 8" rotor capability and a 5th element

And now I have a bottlerocket which IMO is the new bullit.

Both good bikes but they become cliche' :banghead:...

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I think the Bullit will still slot as a dh bike for the cash-strapped set, and a 66 ha seems more appropriate.

However, SC is offering a 135mm option, which does imply they expect more all-mountain sales...
good point. and in that same thinking, they are offering a 150 option on a design that doesnt need it for any other reason than to use exisiting wheels with a almost DH specific spacing.

i think it is just good engineering to make the frame very versitile and really try to shed any specific (read: market driven hype) catigorization.

really curious about frame weight.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Didn't the original version have an adjustable shock shuttle so you could tweak the headangle?
Yeah, the old ones had that. I think they got rid of that when they updated the frame with more travel/longer stroke shock...I should know this as I had an old an a new style Bulitt at one point.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the main downside to the new bearing system is that only sc makes those bearings. why do i have a feeling sc will tell the new bullit owners to bend over when they need new bearings?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Bearings have a lifetime guaranty.

But keep looking, I'm sure you'll find some other problems to anticipate.
i kant reed!! totally missed that.

the frame looks great. looks like it would make a killer super d bike with the right build.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
the main downside to the new bearing system is that only sc makes those bearings. why do i have a feeling sc will tell the new bullit owners to bend over when they need new bearings?
every bearing on every bike can be found (with relative ease)and are manufactured by the same handful of companys.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Got a source for this information?

Even aside from the warranty, I highly doubt SC is manufacturing their own bearings. I'd bet you a six pack it's a stock, off-the-shelf bearing that could be ordered from a place like McMaster-Carr.

The bearing cups, however, are another story and are probably made by Santa Cruz... but those aren't that likely to be destroyed.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB

Even aside from the warranty, I highly doubt SC is manufacturing their own bearings. I'd bet you a six pack it's a stock, off-the-shelf bearing that could be ordered from a place like McMaster-Carr.

The bearing cups, however, are another story and are probably made by Santa Cruz... but those aren't that likely to be destroyed.
and i doubt that even. if the cups use the same BB wrench then they are probably the same spec.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005

what i meant to say was that the bearing cups are most likely exclusive to santa cruz. while they look like external bbs, they may not be exactly the same, so the bearings may not be removable. from my experience, manufacturers like to mark up the prices on replacement parts not commonly found. take derailleur hangers for instance.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I highly doubt the bearings won't be removable in some fashion or another. They may be pressed in tightly, but they'll almost certainly be removable.
You will probably have to pony up for special bearing tools, but why would they make the cups workable with a Shimano BB tool if the bearings couldn't be user-servicable?

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Bullit 07 frame weights:
-8.0 lbs - with DHX Air rear shock
-8.82 lbs - with DHX 3 Coil rear shock
-8.86 lbs - with DHX 5 Coil rear shock

Weight estimates above are made with a medium size frame with the 135mm rear dropouts in the Powdercoat finish.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yaaaaaay secret pics of another overpriced single pivot to add to the list of overpriced single pivots!!!!!

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
yaaaaaay secret pics of another overpriced single pivot to add to the list of overpriced single pivots!!!!!
huh????? how is a $1200 bike with a $450 shock overpriced, oh wait because linkage bikes are so much better and don't forget the extra 6 bearings they use, that they are worth twice the money? Or do you mean compared to maybe an Orange which runs around 2k. you must have some serious know in the manufacturing world:disgust:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
huh????? how is a $1200 bike with a $450 shock overpriced, oh wait because linkage bikes are so much better and don't forget the extra 6 bearings they use, that they are worth twice the money? Or do you mean compared to maybe an Orange which runs around 2k. you must have some serious know in the manufacturing world:disgust:
Competely agree...single pivots are good bikes. The old Bullits were solid frames and had real versatility. I had one for a few seasons, wore it out and bought another. I don't have it anymore, but I remember it as a great riding and reliable frame.

1200 is not bad at all. Cheaper and lighter than an AS-X, Highline and other similar frames. The new Bullitt looks cool, has some innovative features and, if previous versions are an indication, rides great as well. What is not to like?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
im not saying that single pivots suck. i have had 2 of them myself. im just saying it would be nice to see some kind of dramatic price drop in them with all the new technology out there. seems to me that is how trickle down economics is supposed to work. the bullit always has been and will hopefully continue to be a mainstay in the biking world. all im saying is after what 8-10 years of the same basic design they would come down on the price alittle.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
im not saying that single pivots suck. i have had 2 of them myself. im just saying it would be nice to see some kind of dramatic price drop in them with all the new technology out there. seems to me that is how trickle down economics is supposed to work. the bullit always has been and will hopefully continue to be a mainstay in the biking world. all im saying is after what 8-10 years of the same basic design they would come down on the price alittle.
unfortunently new technology is uber expensive to impliment and cost of living goes up and materia cost go up and shipping cost go up and,........you see were i'm going here. knowing the cost of manufacturing and materials and all the other factors that go into making a frame i can tell you the mark up in very small on a $1200 frame.