Quantcast

Buying a house

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
/thread.
That is all that matters, so yea, congrats. :thumb:
I'll let you know when we close; we'll drink to celebrate. Then I will bribe with chili and beer for moving assistance. Once spring comes around, we'll put in the pump track.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I am now renting an 1800sq ft 3 bed, 3.5 bath house built in 2007... no lie, all new homes around here have too much plumbing.
That's what I was referring to in my original post. I was absolutely thrilled my ~1,500 3br ranch had 2 full baths instead of 1 1/2 as most do.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
More like Crabjoe JealousPants.

Joker - finished basement?

All asshat sarcasm aside.....congrats BTW...not that you care what I think anyway. :p
Finished with a walkout basement. It's essentially a third floor because of the walk out. Massive window and sliding door in the basement; awesome deck on the main floor.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
2 car with a bit of storage space. I need to figure out depth for a work bench and shelving. The bikes will be wall mounted

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
This is what I do. Buy low, sell high. Use other people's money when you can.
Assuming ZOMFGHyperZimbabwe-styleInflation hits, that sub-4% 30y mortgage will be something to cherish and practically frame on the wall...

That's what I was referring to in my original post. I was absolutely thrilled my ~1,500 3br ranch had 2 full baths instead of 1 1/2 as most do.
The only complaint I have about our ~1200' Cape Cod is that there's only one bathroom (not counting the random sh!tter in the corner of the basement), so we'll have to add the plumbing on the 2nd floor for our master bedroom when we finally get around to finishing the house. For just the wife and I the current setup isn't too bad, but with company it's a pain and I can't imagine it if there were a couple of kids added to the mix as well...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Blah blah blah ... sq. footage and financing aside teh Joker's new digs are a few miles by bike to some fantastic trails. FOCUS PEOPLE!!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
10 to 1 he'll still drive to the trail-head...
Deer Creek and Zoro are the only decent trails within riding distance. Zoro is roughly 20 miles away, so it will make for a hell of a ride. Deer Creek is only about 12, which is a great training and warm-up.

Also, just locked 3.875 for a 30y fixed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Deer Creek and Zoro are the only decent trails within riding distance. Zoro is roughly 20 miles away, so it will make for a hell of a ride. Deer Creek is only about 12, which is a great training and warm-up.

Don't forget waterton, falcon, lair of the bear, and green mountain - they're all as close or closer than Zorro.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I totally forgot lair. I haven't ridden the others yet. When are we going?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Then I'll keep riding road on my Big Top. I am trying to get up to Golden, riding up Lookout, and then back. That should put me around a century, which would be a great ride on the mtb.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
12 miles to DC? Hmmm, it was only like an inch on the map. (super road routes up there, not just trails)

Waterton hasn't been open since just after I moved here. SS: any idea when they'll be finished up there? I only rode there 2-3 times but totally loved it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Don't forget waterton, falcon, lair of the bear, and green mountain - they're all as close or closer than Zorro.

:cheers: Congrats, on all counts.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Time for muttering and swearing. Wifey's company will be switching her to a vendor role about a month earlier than we were expecting. Switching her to a 1099 with no history, instead of a W2 prevents us from qualifying based on my income (base only) alone.

We now get to propose to the buyers to close in 30 (vs. 60 we offered), with the option to rent back for 30-days with the option of extending another 30. W.T.F.

God, I hate commission heavy jobs. My base won't allow us to qualify, and despite knowing how much my current commission payout is, without a paystub I can't get that added to my income.

NATRON

Chimp
Feb 19, 2002
Boston, MA
We kind of ran into the same thing- since my wife quit her job- but the car loan is in her name, and so I had no debt- let me do more on my one salary. Rent back option isn't bad- just have a lawyer check it to make sure there are no loose ends- its a good investment.. helped us with our new house.. moving in 2 days!!

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Oh boy. We went back and forth for a couple weeks because my wife was going to school and working part-time. Apparently the rules had been changed and for part-time income to be acceptable for the loan there had to be a two year history of it - which didn't exist. With some letters from her employer and school the mortgage broker was able to work something out for us.

If you'd like to talk to her for a second or third opinion I can provide contact info.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stoney.....i think there is a ymca in the ranch with a climbing wall/gym/whatever....i remember a friend telling me...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
stoney.....i think there is a ymca in the ranch with a climbing wall/gym/whatever....i remember a friend telling me...
Sho' thing:

Highlands Ranch

Eastridge Recreation Center
9568 South University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
(303) 791-2500
http://www.hrcaonline.org
> Climbing wall for top roping, free-climb, and some lead. Need to live in Highlands Ranch, or be invited to use facility.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
is that the same one that has the indoor waterpark and large indoor pool for swim meet type sh!t?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i was at one in the ranch....with a friend and her kids birthday type bullsh!t....i was secretly getting sh!tfaced so the details are foggy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stevew: you always have stories about CO, when and where did you live out here?
the first time was for about a month in 98 breckenridge...i think around then..putting together snowmobiles but mostly fvcking around in the mountains...lived near the golf course.

then

99-04/05.....around then i think.....lived in aurora...highline village apartments...fvcking classy....then in wheatridge a block or two away from wheatridge cyclery.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well, we went through inspection and found that the finished basement was not permitted, along with a few other things we wanted fixed. We asked that they be fixed and the seller said no, so we walked. They just came back to the table, offering up to get permitted and fix everything that we wanted taken care of.

We called their bluff and they completely folded. Apparently they have already bought their new house, and need to get out of this one asap. 100% buyer leverage FTW.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
LOL @ a seller in this market thinking they could pull that off. House 2 doors down from us has an un-permitted finished basement that looks really nice. And it floods every year :rofl:. Make sure those documents and work is up to snuff.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well, we went through inspection and found that the finished basement was not permitted, along with a few other things we wanted fixed. We asked that they be fixed and the seller said no, so we walked. They just came back to the table, offering up to get permitted and fix everything that we wanted taken care of.

We called their bluff and they completely folded. Apparently they have already bought their new house, and need to get out of this one asap. 100% buyer leverage FTW.
That is when you ask them for even more :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

Time to get a new roof and get the pump track paid for!! :rofl: