Quantcast

Ca you tell me if this is ethical?

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
i have an area in mind too, but its a secret. or we could put some jumps near the windy trail area close to bryans house. you could make some sweet jumps there. and rock out our like 25ft gap (which is probly eroded by now.)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I gotta say, I don't think vaniliavillian81 is wrong for wanting to sell or trade his current ride for a bike that better suits his needs. It was a gift and in the true meaning of gift giving, it should not come with strings attached, no matter the cost. I think it Bro-in-law is probably an ass.

Vanillin, perhaps if you carefully explained the rational behind wanting to sell the bike? I think your reasoning sounds good to me. Maybe you can explain it calmly in a way your bro-in-law and sis can understand? You know, something like: It doesn't suit my current riding style, will cost more to repair and upgrade than purchase of a new bike.

As an aside... I do worry that if it needs all that you say it does that you aren't going to get much for it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I gotta say, I don't think vaniliavillian81 is wrong for wanting to sell or trade his current ride for a bike that better suits his needs. It was a gift and in the true meaning of gift giving, it should not come with strings attached, no matter the cost. I think it Bro-in-law is probably an ass.

Vanillin, perhaps if you carefully explained the rational behind wanting to sell the bike? I think your reasoning sounds good to me. Maybe you can explain it calmly in a way your bro-in-law and sis can understand? You know, something like: It doesn't suit my current riding style, will cost more to repair and upgrade than purchase of a new bike.

As an aside... I do worry that if it needs all that you say it does that you aren't going to get much for it.
I think this is a gift with strings attached. No one gives a $1000+ gift without one, which usually ride it and don't sell it.

Put it this way, has anyone here given a bike worth over $300 to someone?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Put it this way, has anyone here given a bike worth over $300 to someone?
I have two times, but both times it was to my wife so I guess maybe that really doesn't count. But if she wanted to sell one of them because she wasn't riding it and wanted something else or wanted a different kind of bike I would be totally cool with that. The reality is I would want her to be happy with the gift and if not exchange it for something that would make her happy. The trite expression that comes to mind is "Tis is better to give than to recieve."

The 'no strings attached' thing is my own personal belief. I just think that if you can't give a gift without strings then it's not really a gift, it's a loan and you should explicitly indicate that that is the case so crap like this doesn't happen. I believe the trite and politically incorrect expression for this case is "indian giver".

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
The 'no strings attached' thing is my own personal belief. I just think that if you can't give a gift without strings then it's not really a gift, it's a loan and you should explicitly indicate that that is the case so crap like this doesn't happen. I believe the trite and politically incorrect expression for this case is "indian giver".
much agreed.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
O.K. I'm going to try to make this as clear as I can. My reasons for selling the bike vary, a couple months ago, me and Foky were hitting some new jumps we just built up in a fairly wooded area..maybe to woody. I hit the jump, cleared the tranny totally and was going to fast to make the turn and ate total sh** into a tree. I was knocked out, and don't remember anything else before the hospital when the guy was telling me not to move my neck. When I did this, my fork became a piece of shi**, so did my body. Not only did my fork die in that wreck, but so did my front brake, which now leaks fluid all the time. My wheelset has also become unworkable. I not only used the bike for XC bt also hit the UVA drop...which is about 7-8 feet im geussing? Yes, I look back on it now and say, I should have never hit those drops on on this bike. My interest for XC has dropped alot now, saying my bike can't even work properly. I'm more interested in dirtjumping, downhilling, and street riding. This is because the maintance envolved is much less. No rear shock, no deralieur, no gears. I also will be buying a car soon.

My idea was to sell the trance, then buy a .243...which the frame is only 200 obo. I was hoping after I built the bike I would have some money left over to go into my bank account for the car. It just seems less of a hassle to buy a whole new bike instead of a new fork, new brakes, new wheelset.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
O.K. I'm going to try to make this as clear as I can. My reasons for selling the bike vary, a couple months ago, me and Foky were hitting some new jumps we just built up in a fairly wooded area..maybe to woody. I hit the jump, cleared the tranny totally and was going to fast to make the turn and ate total sh** into a tree. I was knocked out, and don't remember anything else before the hospital when the guy was telling me not to move my neck. When I did this, my fork became a piece of shi**, so did my body. Not only did my fork die in that wreck, but so did my front brake, which now leaks fluid all the time. My wheelset has also become unworkable. I not only used the bike for XC bt also hit the UVA drop...which is about 7-8 feet im geussing? Yes, I look back on it now and say, I should have never hit those drops on on this bike. My interest for XC has dropped alot now, saying my bike can't even work properly. I'm more interested in dirtjumping, downhilling, and street riding. This is because the maintance envolved is much less. No rear shock, no deralieur, no gears. I also will be buying a car soon.

My idea was to sell the trance, then buy a .243...which the frame is only 200 obo. I was hoping after I built the bike I would have some money left over to go into my bank account for the car. It just seems less of a hassle to buy a whole new bike instead of a new fork, new brakes, new wheelset.
:clapping:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Question: How do you plan to sell this bike if you've abused the poo out of it? Were you just going to try to sell the frame and what ever parts still work?

Note to self: Do not buy any bikes from Vakillin81...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Let's cut to the chase:

Ethically, it was a gift, and you should do whatever you want with it.

How will effect your family? I am sure people will just say you got a $2000 bike (funny how bikes go up in value when they are gifts), and you abused it and then had to sell it.

Do you care what your family thinks about this matter? You don't have to...

novarider

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Northern VA
family dynamics, "no string attached" gifts, etc etc are really all seperate and distinct in each household and the individuals involved. what you technically can do, what you technically might do, isnt always synonymous with what you should do. and what you should do is a very grey area indeed. should you technically be able to do what you want to with a gift? yeah, technically you should but any husband/father knows that isnt always the case (and you guys who are husband and fathers know what i mean). bottom line is there is no right answer to you questions, only opinions on what responders would do/feel if they were in that situation, which as you can see varies from 1 extreme to the other.

it would also be interesting to know the age, and status (married, not married, kids, no kids, etc) of each responder to see if there are any commonalities in age and status as to the responses but thats another whole can of worms better left unopened. lol

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
family dynamics, "no string attached" gits, etc etc are really all seperate and distinct in each household and the individuals involved. what you technically can do, what you technically might do, isnt always synonymous with what you should do. and what you should do is a very grey area indeed. should you technically be able to do what you want to with a gift? yeah, technically you should but any husband/father knows that isnt always the case (and you guys who are husband and fathers know what i mean). bottom line is there is no right answer to you questions, only opinions on what responders would do/feel if they were in that situation, which as you can see varies from 1 extreme to the other.

it would also be interesting to know the age, and status (married, not married, kids, no kids, etc) of each responder to see if there are any commonalities in age and status as to the responses but thats another whole can of worms better left unopened. lol
Translation into English please

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Question: How do you plan to sell this bike if you've abused the poo out of it? Were you just going to try to sell the frame and what ever parts still work?

Note to self: Do not buy any bikes from Vakillin81...
=)

That, is still left unopen, I have NO clue how I'm going to sell it. I'm looking at it now, just sitting in pieces in my room, I'm really thinking about just keeping the damn thing. Family is more important to me then selling some bike that's worthless when it comes to still talking to your sister or brother-in-law. If I break my relationship with either of them my career as a photographer is broken. This means, no more passes into race tracks, no information on how to use so and so in photoshop, and no mentor. I'm really thinking about keeping the bike, getting a job, buying a car, then saving money for a new bike. I can legally get a job in 2 days, I plan on going everywhere to find one. So if you know anyone in management in C-ville, you should let me know.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
=)

That, is still left unopen, I have NO clue how I'm going to sell it. I'm looking at it now, just sitting in pieces in my room, I'm really thinking about just keeping the damn thing. Family is more important to me then selling some bike that's worthless when it comes to still talking to your sister or brother-in-law. If I break my relationship with either of them my career as a photographer is broken. This means, no more passes into race tracks, no information on how to use so and so in photoshop, and no mentor. I'm really thinking about keeping the bike, getting a job, buying a car, then saving money for a new bike. I can legally get a job in 2 days, I plan on going everywhere to find one. So if you know anyone in management in C-ville, you should let me know.
Good plan.

My friend with Ti Colnago wanted to dump his cheapo alu bike badly, but he knew his family would not understand that the Colnago was mint. So he kept his gift bike, sold the sweet one, and maintained his relationships...

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
I have the final answer.

I'm keeping the bike, my photography is more important to me than riding right now. I plan on saving for a new 20D, and a new lense(maybe the 35mm Wide angle 2.0-Or the 28-200?). I'm really am interested in the XTi, so I'm not sure yet. Or a 5D, but I have heard by many of people it is more of a "studio" camera. I'm going to have to get out their and field test it. I don't know about you other photographers, but I don't like my camera the way the rebel feels, I like the weight. Also, since the XTi is coming out the 20D price may drop. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I am an Nikon whore personally. We have a couple D90's, and a grip of lenses. I'd suggest when buying a lens you look at how "fast" it is. Both in how quick it can focus and the lowest f-stop on it. Nikon makes a great 80-200 with a constant 2.8f which we have.

Also, save up to invest in your flashes and batteries, and memory sticks.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Yes yes I know this lol. I use all L lenses right now, so what can I say my brother-in-law has a nice selection.Nikon has the best selection of lenses. But none of the bodys will ever compare to Canons, nor will the autofocus and fps. I have a Nikon film camera I'm using right now, It's nice, but the body feels cheap, dull, too light also. I'm use to having two shutter buttons because the Canon has the battery grip on it. Everytime I hold a 1D Marl II I want to crap myself.