Quantcast

California/Nevada and those that travel to the area.....need feedback

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Im down for this..............and hoping that it is Boreal...........because it's closer to Northstar and would make a great weekend different style riding...Boreal did have a mtn. bike park back in the day..........which was a wednesday by the way.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
No doubt that this would be an instant success. Have them just take a look at what is going on at Whistler, or even Downieville for that matter, and it will be very apparent how many riders would support a park with good trails.

People seem to have been afraid to talk bad about Northstar for fear of losing the only lift accessed place easily available to most of us. Now that there is the possibility of an alternative, the true feelings about N*s shortcomings are coming out. We definitely need a better alternative.

As far as having two resorts diluting the potential of each, I don't think that will happen. I think it will only help N* because now I would be more likely to go more often if there is an alternative. N* would see more of my business. Not only that, but the competition would force then to improve there game. Also, having two resorts in Tahoe would bring in people from outside the area, just like in the winter.

billystack

Chimp
Dec 3, 2006
Denver. CO
I'm with Kidwoo on this one, build it before we get too old! I'm sure my Denver crew would come out for some riding. We make several trips a year with the bikes, and this just might make for a third :)

Yeah, I'd hit it!
Definelty another resort will only help pull more people in from further away as been discussed.
Man, if this happens the new resort would be flooded with people trying to help build trails and then ride them untill o-dark thirty way past beer o-clock too.

Would definetly urge the new resort to think about having an area for refreshments so us downhillers could hang out and spend some coin there instead of having to haul our own stuff in. Also a food court will give some of the on-lookers a place to hang while their respective others are throwing themselves down a hill all day.
mmmm...wireless internet there would be good too for instant uploads of the digi peoples. ?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
i know what resort he's talking about (and so do all the other old school dh'ers from norcal) and the DH tracks they used to have were SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK. Still some of the best I've ridden. Tech, steep, and fast. Palmer even showed up to a few when he was in town. And the old slalom course was rad too. It was one of the only slalom's i've ever seen that was steep and fast enough that you could ride a dh bike on it and easily contend.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Count me in for both volonteering and riding. I would be up there probably two weekends a month.

I feel there is room for another resort. When N* was actually open, I would usually ride there one day, and some tahoe trails the next (or even Downieville). N* two days in a row is tough and gets old.

Besides, I haven't felt any love from N* in a while, from the way they run their races, to trail maintenance, to flat out lying about opening.

I made tons of trips to Mammoth and Downievill last summer. Judging by the amount of people there from the bay area, I would say there is definitely room for another resort.

If there's only room for one, screw Northstar.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I think last year's shutting us out is going to bite them in the ass. The only other real lift serviced place around there was Mammoth, and that's a long ass drive to what really is kind of the middle of no where.

Personally I hope Kevin gets this off the ground and S!ht* feels the bite. I understand that we're not as huge as skiing/boarding, but none the less giving us the ol' Dutch Door action last season was an error.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Im down for this..............and hoping that it is Boreal..
I bet the terrain is a lot like boreal.:brows:

By the way that would be awesome, everytime I drive near the boreal area, I wish I could ride at boreal. This could be just as good.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
i know what resort he's talking about (and so do all the other old school dh'ers from norcal) and the DH tracks they used to have were SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK. Still some of the best I've ridden. Tech, steep, and fast. Palmer even showed up to a few when he was in town. And the old slalom course was rad too. It was one of the only slalom's i've ever seen that was steep and fast enough that you could ride a dh bike on it and easily contend.

haha sick.. i what i hoped for was right...
yeah if that place opened again i would be so stoked!

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Kidwoo, I know this is in its first stages but do you think the resort would be open for the summer of 07 even if it is toward the end, or would it be later than that?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ideally yes IF it happens. Our crew consists of some of the most motivated people I've ever built with. But again.....too early to tell.

Thank you everyone who has posted in this thread. I do appreciate it and so will the rest of the guys trying to make this happen.

xgirrrrl

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Tahoe! , Baby!
If it is the place that you are thinking of ( and I think it is too) Then I would ride there often. I watched a few races there before I started DH-ing, and then the place stopped having race events, so I never got to ride there. It would be SWEET!

I must say though, I LOVE Northstar! I love the rocks, I love the dirt in my face , the bumpy trails. It is what it is. Rough and wicked. It is Downhilling. I was angry when they kicked us out last year, but that forced me to explore new places. And it turned out to be a great summer of riding after all. When they open up again this summer, I will ride there one day and the new place the next day. Every freakin' weekend. Yeah Baby!

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Just so that were clear I LOVE NORTHSTAR they have been open for awhile, and that means they were supporting riding.......I love everything about Northstar and hope they ( in fact pretty much KNOW) they will be open for 07. I do however think another resort would HELP not hurt N*..............a TON of us drove to Mammoth last summer........so imagine if we had 2 resorts close by.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
let's not hate on northstar. they were definitely flakey when it came to last summer, but the bike industry in general is flakey. nothing ever happens on time and people will bull**** you. that's just how it is. N* sucked at running races, but the trails were rad. people complain about them not building anything there. dude, the dirt there suuuuuuucks for building. it's moon dust. you can't build whistler style jumps with crap @ss dirt. northstar is old school and has deep roots in mountain biking. i remember bombing flameout and snake fireroad 10 years ago on my full rigid with cantilever brakes. talk about arm pump. even my pops can say that he was gnarly enough to get arm pump from ripping at northstar. the first DH race I ever saw in person was at Northstar. Back in the day when racing was huge. They had the FOX Gravity 5 man downhill and a dual slalom at night time under the lights. if kidwoo and crew get a new place going, hopefully it'll motivate northstar to put in more effort. biscuit's just a wuss and can't take a beating. he's afraid of northstar opening back up again. haha. j/k scotts-a-lot

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I'd come all the way from Washington probably once a year (I used to live in the area) and ride both N* and the new resort. N* itself isn't enough of a draw for me to make it back to Tahoe.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Does anyone know if N*, or this new idea for that matter, are going to do anything in regards to watering the trails occasionally?

N* is rad for the first four days, then it turns into a rutted mess with the exception of the parts they laid out with machines. That just gets old after a fashion.

dirtboyracer

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Northsatr wasn't that bad. I personally would rather ride hella tech dh than a bunch of jumps (although those are fun too). Anybody want to post this over at mtbr and get more responses?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
it's an interesting idea. i liked riding N* but def better after some afternoon thunderstorms had mitigated all that moon dust.

i would imagine that many people would ride one day at your resort and one day at N*. variety is a good thing.

flow never goes out of style. whenever i ride mammoth i find myself thinking Damn, if they'd just done this section differently the flow factor would be much higher.