Quantcast

Call me Nostradumbass...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That article is chock-full of gold.

"We don’t want to sound like snobs, but the general consensus from the editors at this website (and many others for that matter) is that 27.5″ Plus tires are for beginner level riders."

"most fast riders (especially those who corner hard) will flat them, burp them and rip them right off the rims when they hit the right turn at the right speed."

That should get the internet frothing started. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

"We don’t want to sound like snobs, but the general consensus from the editors at this website (and many others for that matter) is that 27.5″ Plus tires are for beginner level riders."

"most fast riders (especially those who corner hard) will flat them, burp them and rip them right off the rims when they hit the right turn at the right speed."

because they're right? :busted:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm waiting for the next new standard to be the iteration of the current new standard in which the ideal balance between the current new standard of 28" x 2.1" and 2002 freeride's previous old standard of 24" x 3.0" wheels comes out, and the latest, greatest standard is 26" x 2.5" in the year 2019.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If you can't ride something on a 27.5" plus bike chances are you won't be able to ride it on a 27.5" plus+ bike either. Time to buck up and admit that it's not the width of the tire holding you back.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
On second thought, fuck it. Let's just let IMBA have at all of the trails so nobody needs to worry about being unable to ride anything.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

The rest of that comment is spot on too. The fact that those tires exist, to cater to more beginner-ish riders is fine. I just don't want them, and that's also fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The rest of that comment is spot on too. The fact that those tires exist, to cater to more beginner-ish riders is fine. I just don't want them, and that's also fine.
Except that for every tread pattern manufacturers will now need to make fifteen fucking sizes driving up the price of tires even more. FatBike has already proven consumers will tolerate $100+ tires so let's make every tire $100+.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Except that for every tread pattern manufacturers will now need to make fifteen fucking sizes driving up the price of tires even more. FatBike has already proven consumers will tolerate $100+ tires so let's make every tire $100+.
I'm not gonna buy tires any more unless they are at LEAST $100. How the fuck else am I going to impress my dentist-friends?

Wait... I don't have any dentist-friends.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
eh not really. manufacturing logistics drives price in a major way. fat bike tires = larger tires = require larger tooling ($$++) = more material to make the tire ($$++). if the sales volume is low then unit price will be high to pay for the tooling (see arrow tires). the 2.8 tires don't share the tooling with the 2.4 tires (despite identical tread pattern), so its unlikely that they'd just up the prices of the 2.4 to help pay for the 2.8. All this really has is the huge potential to bite the tire industry in the ass when sales numbers are shit.