Quantcast

Campers

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
They aren't hard to make if you have a 50 amp service handy. A cutting torch or plasma will cut out all of your openings and holes for plumbing, weld in the casements for the doors and windows and everything else is done with regular construction tools.
Avendi buys them from FEMA completed. The cost is a little more than a raw container.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
All this nickel and dime shit stops tonight. I do not possess the skills to properly weld and cut anything. I have halted all further expenditures. I will dig for the slab. Thats about it. Cutting rebar. Building forms. All that BS will be handled by someone other than me. Permits will be applied for. All that nonsense. By someone other than me. I have learned that lesson. Enough times already.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Moved the coach into storage to prep for being on a tropical island. Storage place calls and said they lost power 5 days ago.

wait wut? You are telling me this now?

get out there and sure as shit, all batteries are dead.

90092F74-6CD2-46D5-8FA2-1AD937204FB6.jpeg

now I am charging them all enough to get things started so they can top themselves off. Jumper cables, Honda eu2200, battery charger and rain. Lots of rain.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Moved the coach into storage to prep for being on a tropical island. Storage place calls and said they lost power 5 days ago.

wait wut? You are telling me this now?

get out there and sure as shit, all batteries are dead.

View attachment 169948

now I am charging them all enough to get things started so they can top themselves off. Jumper cables, Honda eu2200, battery charger and rain. Lots of rain.
"Move to Oregon," they said.

:D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Local shop is booked out over 2 months for chassis service on the coach engine, chassis and genset services for lube, oil, filter. If you are planning on getting anything done on your RV's it may be wise to start the process now. Seems this trend is everywhere right meow.
It was like that a couple of months ago here when I was trying to get our stove looked at, booked until feb.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
It was like that a couple of months ago here when I was trying to get our stove looked at, booked until feb.
The guy told me he has never seen such a sudden influx of idiots buying stuff they dont have a clue how to use. 90% of what he is working on is insanely simple and preventable stuff like running dry on diesel, frozen/broken pipes, rigs coming off hitches, peeps driving off with jacks down or slides out, cutting corners too sharp, etc

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The guy told me he has never seen such a sudden influx of idiots buying stuff they dont have a clue how to use. 90% of what he is working on is insanely simple and preventable stuff like running dry on diesel, frozen/broken pipes, rigs coming off hitches, peeps driving off with jacks down or slides out, cutting corners too sharp, etc
i wish i could find the video of some douche bag muscling his fifth wheel through a starbucks drive thru....destrying the side of it...

dairy queen

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Any solar aficionados in here? Going to tackle the solar setup on my coach myself since the other routes are booked out too far.

I know a sufficient amount but still have a hard time finding resources to chat with.

43 foot coach with tons of roof space
Current battery situation has (4) 6v house batteries and two 12 volt chassis batteries
The coach already has a pretty extensive battery management system but I know I will have to tie into it with the new lithium batteries and panels.

Thus far I know I will need a solar charge controller(s), inverters, shunts, breakers and BMS(s) for each of the banks (chassis/house) and will also need a DC to DC charger from the alternator output.

Any other input from the brain trust?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I went with all Renogy crap because it was easy, but mine is stand alone, not tied in. I would look into systems that integrate into whatever the coach has already. My guess is there is a kit setup just for that, but I'm no expert.

What's the brand on the coach setup? I'll poke around because I'm bored.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I went with all Renogy crap because it was easy, but mine is stand alone, not tied in. I would look into systems that integrate into whatever the coach has already. My guess is there is a kit setup just for that, but I'm no expert.

What's the brand on the coach setup? I'll poke around because I'm bored.
its a Newmar mountain aire with stock systems

gonefirefightin

free wieners
seems Victron will be a one stop shop for all the hardware and software. It seems to be industry standard for stock and aftermarket solar systems even with the brand new 1mil$ coaches.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 6.10.32 AM.png

Looks like I will be in the 10-12k$ range when all said and done.

After a bunch of snooping around it seems this is about as close as it gets to a complete kit. It is still missing some things but it seems to have most of my specific needs met. Going to source my own kit though as panels seem to evolve on a yearly basis and I can find more efficient and higher wattage panels than the norms.

Seems they are the only ones out there that make a robust control center that will update the old stuff and still make thing ipad friendly and provide network and bluetooth abilities

Seems Dakota lithium is going to be the choice for cells since they test out via youtubers with the actual advertised output and hours. not cheap tho

Last edited: