Quantcast

Can we change the name.......

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
they're showing the passion this wknd at church (we meet in what used to be a movie theatre). i've never seen it but for a few segments here & there. if i could project how i would receive it, i say take all the christian bashing crap that gets doled out here.

you know how rediculous we can look when we smell blood in the water and succumb to a mob mentality?

so then do they.
so give them all the rope they want to hang themselves.

so take it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
$tinkle said:
they're showing the passion this wknd at church (we meet in what used to be a movie theatre). i've never seen it but for a few segments here & there. if i could project how i would receive it, i say take all the christian bashing crap that gets doled out here.

you now rediculous we can look when we smell blood in the water and succumb to a mob mentality?

so then do they.
so give them all the rope they want to hang themselves.

so take it.
Are you drunk or something?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I will say the drone of the Christian bashing does get old. However I approach this 2 ways:

1) I tend to consider the source, by and large those shooting their mouths off really don't have a clue what they are saying - most of the time with respect to the Bible and

2) what am I doing to change the perception among many that being a Christian is lame. Granted I can whine up a storm but how am I proactive in changing that perception.

Anyway, that's just my 2 shekels worth.................

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Damn True said:
Yeah, I hear ya. But I don't recall either you or I casting into doubt anyone elses intellect or breeding on the basis of their beliefs or lack thereof.
Yeah, the two way street for the respect would be nice, but it's no biggie. I just try not to stoop to their level, and respond as Jesus did when He was getting the snot kicked out of Him..........with love.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Damn True said:
Yo RM, can we change the name of this forum to the Christian Bashing, It's not hate if it comes from the left Debate Forum?
While I do see some bashing I also the difference in how to approach these "bashings". You have personally made many attacks toward my lifestyle and the way i choose to live so sometimes I give it back to you. I see it as DT bashing not christian bashing(since we can't lump all christians into the same bunch). You really shouldn't be complaining with the way that you've approached me in the past. Andy is an example of how to deal with these things, Stinkle and yourself seem more prone to hate and insults(toward the gay population for example) Where Andy has some logic and reason and compassion behind him. But hey that's just my 2 cents :thumb:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Lexx D said:
Stinkle and yourself seem more prone to hate and insults(toward the gay population for example)
i have no problem with that accusation if you could kindly back it up w/ evidence (not sarcastic posts, or changed positions, but blatant ideological hatred).

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Damn True said:
Yo RM, can we change the name of this forum to the Christian Bashing, It's not hate if it comes from the left Debate Forum?
Somebody call me the waaaaaaaambulance. Not feeling the love DT? Pathetic.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Damn True said:
Let's change it to "The Love Canal"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Actually, I'll try to chime in with a non-smartass remark...

Bashing someone over their beliefs - or lack thereof, is lame.

IMHO, no one has the real answers, so what makes a Christian man's belief system more/less plausible?

I "lean left", if I need to put a label on my views, but I have respect for all religious beliefs. I just don't like many of the agendas that some self-professed "Christians" attach to their beliefs. Much damage has been done "in His name".

Like any group, there are some bad apples. The bigger the group, the more apples. This can be said for the "Left" as well.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
H8R said:
IMHO, no one has the real answers, so what makes a Christian man's belief system more/less plausible?
some systems of beliefs are rational. others rely on blind faith. some can be disproven, and change to match the best available evidence. others rely on dogma, and cannot be disproven by their own definition...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Damn True said:
Yeah, I hear ya. But I don't recall either you or I casting into doubt anyone elses intellect or breeding on the basis of their beliefs or lack thereof.

True.. it is called "ignore"...

Why dont' you use it.
I haven't seen Changleen offer anything of any value on this site. So why listen to him at all?
:thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Toshi said:
some systems of beliefs are rational. others rely on blind faith. some can be disproven, and change to match the best available evidence. others rely on dogma, and cannot be disproven by their own definition...
Sometimes it's hot out, sometimes it's cold.

Thank you for using intelligent language to make a pointless point.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Changleen said:
Hmm, Can you put a mod on ignore I wonder?
vBulletin Message

Sorry -BB- is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

Nope.

:D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Andyman_1970 said:
I will say the drone of the Christian bashing does get old. However I approach this 2 ways:

1) I tend to consider the source, by and large those shooting their mouths off really don't have a clue what they are saying - most of the time with respect to the Bible and
this is subjetive. if they dont accept the bible as an authoritary source, or an absolute frame of reference.. then "they" are exempted from the "dont have a clue what they are saying".....

2) what am I doing to change the perception among many that being a Christian is lame. Granted I can whine up a storm but how am I proactive in changing that perception.

Anyway, that's just my 2 shekels worth.................
being a christian isnt lame per se.. but being a fundamentalist (whether christian, jewish, muslim or marxist) sucks balls. sometimes fundamentalists take the skin of christians. and they denounce any attack on their fundamentalism, as an attack on their christianity...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
ALEXIS_DH said:
this is subjetive. if they dont accept the bible as an authoritary source, or an absolute frame of reference.. then "they" are exempted from the "dont have a clue what they are saying".....
My point was is that there are some who bash Christanity and either mis-quote or take out of context various passages to prove some point contrary to Christanity.

In the PD forum we tend to be sticklers about getting the facts right, which sometimes is overlooked when quoting the Bible - that was my point.

Also, I tend to get less worked up over the "frothers" who make it abundantly clear they dislike Christians, so I don't waste my time on essentially deaf ears to any other point of view.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Lexx D said:
While I do see some bashing I also the difference in how to approach these "bashings". You have personally made many attacks toward my lifestyle and the way i choose to live so sometimes I give it back to you. I see it as DT bashing not christian bashing(since we can't lump all christians into the same bunch). You really shouldn't be complaining with the way that you've approached me in the past. Andy is an example of how to deal with these things, Stinkle and yourself seem more prone to hate and insults(toward the gay population for example) Where Andy has some logic and reason and compassion behind him. But hey that's just my 2 cents :thumb:
Do a search of the word Gay and my screen name and you will come up with 18 threads with a match. Feel free to read each word of each thread. You will find nothing.
You owe me an apology.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
True, rather than getting pissed off I suggest offering some grace to people.

You seem to post out of anger some times. You are a saved sinner, rejoice!

It's not just Christians who get bagged on here, it's Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, Conservatives, Hawks, Doves, Jews, Muslims, well you get the picture.

I cringe at some stuff, sure, but for every slam against Christians I am encouraged by the threads where non-believers are told the gospel by Andyman. He is doing a super job communicating the values and beliefs in way that isn't offensive.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'd have to say that whilst $tinkle clearly doesn't like Arabs much, neither $tinkle or Damn True seem particularly homophobic. DT even said he wouldn't mind being gay once if I remember rightly...

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I think we need to invite some Muslims and Buddhists and maybe a few Zoroastrians and a couple of Druids to join ridemonkey so we can bash them too.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Changleen said:
I'd have to say that whilst $tinkle clearly doesn't like Arabs much, neither $tinkle or Damn True seem particularly homophobic. DT even said he wouldn't mind being gay once if I remember rightly...
LOL, no. I said I support gay marriage.

....and no Silver....I wont marry you.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Christian bashing is a counter attack.
Original sin says I, as a person, am bad - so bad that I need saving. How is this not a frontal assault on all of humanity? Add to that the whole hell fire and damnation nonsense and I'd say the Christian bashers have a strong case.

Andy, care to shed some light on Original Sin and how it relates to Christianity? :confused:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Original sin says I, as a person, am bad - so bad that I need saving. How is this not a frontal assault on all of humanity? Add to that the whole hell fire and damnation nonsense and I'd say the Christian bashers have a strong case.

Andy, care to shed some light on Original Sin and how it relates to Christianity? :confused:
Or the concept of 'Hell' for that matter?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
BuddhaRoadkill said:

I’m not real sure how the whole “original sin” thing factors into this conversation but I’ll share a few thoughts on the subject.

First, the Bible does not start with Genesis chapter 3 (the fall), it starts with Genesis chapter 1 where God seeing His creation (man and woman in His image) and He says “it is good”. Being human as originally created and originally intended is good – when people say when they screw up “well I’m only human” as if to say they are worthless or something. This kind of thinking is a fundamental misunderstanding of Genesis 1.

Sin is what “gets in the way” of us being fully human and living as God intends for us to live. We are so “hard wired” for this that in Romans Paul says that even the Pagans sometimes by their conscience do what is required by the Torah even though they don’t know the Torah – why is that, because it’s hard wired into us.

This is one of my “beefs” with Calvinism, the whole “Total depravity of man” deal – which would seem to run counter to Paul’s “sometimes those who don’t know the Torah sometimes live it out” – if a person is “totally” depraved then they wouldn’t be living out the Torah every once in a while.

Now that said, Biblically because a “pagan” lives out the Torah from time to time does not “get their ticket punched” as far as salvation is concerned.

Anyway, those are some thoughts that are bouncing around my head this morning on the subject.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Changleen said:
I'd have to say that whilst $tinkle clearly doesn't like Arabs much,
anything "clear" is easily provable.
as such, prove it or retract it.