Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Transcend said:
It's not an FSR.
Kanter said:
Looks more like a VPP.

Its not a FSR. There is no pivot on the chainstay by the rear axle.
I'm pretty sure Specialized patented the color, and it also pretty much does the whole Ellsworthless ICT thing. :rolleyes:

Other than that, lets here some geo.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
ya, seriously, the formula 1 is a rad bike, I'm trying to sell mine so I can get the new one.

Congrats on designing yet another sick bike guys. It looks awesome and I might have to reconsider which frame to get... balance, lucky or the F1... or the F1 and the balance... Too many to choose from!

They're all sick though!

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
MOTODH said:
someone on here has one, loooking forward to their opinons, awesome fork for the price
I think it is Jeenyus
Yeah, its me.

I've got a brake adapter on order and still need to get headset issues worked out before I can take it for a ride, not to mention the fact that the trails are a muddy mess right now.

Hopefully I should have at least one ride on it before the month is up. Its killing me just looking at it in my garage.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Yeah, its me.

I've got a brake adapter on order and still need to get headset issues worked out before I can take it for a ride, not to mention the fact that the trails are a muddy mess right now.

Hopefully I should have at least one ride on it before the month is up. Its killing me just looking at it in my garage.

me too, how does it feel it the parking lot, have you ridden 05 boxxers, comparison at all,

oops forget it you still have not rode it

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this canfield frame features a very unconvensional construction technic.
if you think about it most of the leading edge suspension design companies and for sure all the old ones, relay on a rear subframe (swing arm, whatever you want to call it) with Braces or transverse members most of the time welded at the time of fabrication and some of the time bolt it togheter after ensamble and even more important comun pivots (One axle holding the two halfs of the link and in between the swingarm) for the upper link and mounts to the shock and for sure the lower pivot points.
in the case of the Canfield (as far as i can see) the two sides of the basculating rear end are totally independent from each until they get connected to the links making the rear end totally dependent on how paralel and strong the suspension link interface is

My self i find it extremelly sexy and unconvensional in a really good way since the manufacturing technics can be demanding but also maybe can offer better results in terms of accuracy also as a side efeect if one of the two pieces get dmage, you don't need to buy a whole swing arm, but just the side is damage..

Just look at the at the amount of tyre clearance this concept provide
plus the pivot points can be located really far apart making for a very rigid set up

I'm no expert in full suspension bikes, but i can only think of the balfa BB& as the only other bike that relay on the suspension linkages for the rigidity of the rear end as oppose to stiffners pre-made in to the swing arm.

very interesting bike that is for sure and the suspension linkages are a Piece of "Solid works" beauty, but more than that a sign of some very interesting brains on the other side of the keyboard.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
patineto said:
please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this canfield frame features a very unconvensional construction technic.
if you think about it most of the leading edge suspension design companies and for sure all the old ones, relay on a rear subframe (swing arm, whatever you want to call it) with Braces or transverse members most of the time welded at the time of fabrication and some of the time bolt it togheter after ensamble and even more important comun pivots (One axle holding the two halfs of the link and in between the swingarm) for the upper link and mounts to the shock and for sure the lower pivot points.
in the case of the Canfield (as far as i can see) the two sides of the basculating rear end are totally independent from each until they get connected to the links making the rear end totally dependent on how paralel and strong the suspension link interface is

My self i find it extremelly sexy and unconvensional in a really good way since the manufacturing technics can be demanding but also maybe can offer better results in terms of accuracy also as a side efeect if one of the two pieces get dmage, you don't need to buy a whole swing arm, but just the side is damage..

Just look at the at the amount of tyre clearance this concept provide
plus the pivot points can be located really far apart making for a very rigid set up

I'm no expert in full suspension bikes, but i can only think of the balfa BB& as the only other bike that relay on the suspension linkages for the rigidity of the rear end as oppose to stiffners pre-made in to the swing arm.

very interesting bike that is for sure and the suspension linkages are a Piece of "Solid works" beauty, but more than that a sign of some very interesting brains on the other side of the keyboard.

Some Nicolai frames uses two independent seatstays, it's not the same thing as the CB Lucky because the chainstays are made of one piece but it's a similar situation (Maximun rear tire clearance and a very small distance betwen the rear tire and seat tube at full compresion...) With a trough axle in the rear this lucky frame it's going to be plenty stiff but I'm not sure about how stiff would be an XC version with QR.

Happy trails.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Vrock said:
Some Nicolai frames uses two independent seatstays,
funny i'm a total Nicolai Gruppy and i never notice that.. i go and take a look right now
it's not the same thing as the CB Lucky because the chainstays are made of one piece but it's a similar situation (Maximun rear tire clearance and a very small distance betwen the rear tire and seat tube at full compresion...) With a trough axle in the rear this lucky frame it's going to be plenty stiff but I'm not sure about how stiff would be an XC version with QR.

Happy trails.

Exelent thanks for the confirmation.

i was looking again at the clearances and the "chainstay" distance if you can call it that way, is more a Bottom bracket to rear axle distance

very impresive

also it you think about the lower link of the "VPP" (whatever they call it) is already way into on the space of the wheel, just brilliant solution in terms of space management, I'm not a expert in suspension design to say if a really long lower link is that critical but my intuicion tells me that is a great asset specially with the capavility to run chainstays almost as short as a cross country bike.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know the photo near the water looks like there is a cross member at the front between the two sides of the rear triangle - I think its one piece front, one piece rear like all their other designs...

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
syadasti said:
I don't know the photo near the water looks like there is a cross member at the front between the two sides of the rear triangle - I think its one piece front, one piece rear like all their other designs...
i was also looking at that, but i'm not sure if that "Blue" is what you can see from the right side chainstay vertical connector or a brace...

we just need more Pictures...!!!!!!!!!

anybody...?!?!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks like a brace. I got off my ass and checked their site. Its pretty clear in these shots:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Go to their website under gallery. Look at the photos on the first few pages of this thread.

Looks like the rear is different on the two bikes. There is a brace on the Lucky.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
syadasti said:
The balance has two even (different rear-end frame member design though):

I'm going to check my eyes ASAP :) Didn't see any of them in the first pics...

Happy trails.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Hey sorry I haven't been around. Been super busy finishing up the F1 and Balance production. I'll be here to give you more info after next weekend. But in the mean time-
The Balance has two tubes that connect the two sides where the Lucky has a tube and a gusset tieing the side together. Both are connected.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
flymybike said:
Hey sorry I haven't been around. Been super busy finishing up the F1 and Balance production. I'll be here to give you more info after next weekend. But in the mean time-
The Balance has two tubes that connect the two sides where the Lucky has a tube and a gusset tieing the side together. Both are connected.
Thanks for the photos, they make a lot of sense and also solve the confusion.

nice work on the gusset too.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
syadasti said:
The balance has two even (different rear-end frame member design though):
Mister Syadasti can you make the picture a little smaller so we don't need a "Widescreen" format monitor, now that the mistery is solve is no point for the mega super size image

thanks

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
So this week the F1 and Balance are getting finished and there have been alot of upgrades since last year (and protypes). The frame weights are bound to change a bit so I would like to wait till I have a true weight, I don't like to speculate. I'll tell you they will be within the normal frame weight range of current DH bikes. The Balance is built tough, like a DH bike or a BMX bike. It's not a hog, just full figured! The F1 I think will loose weight from last year but it's hard to know for sure. I'll let you all know when I have real numbers.
The Lucky is a prototype and is built with a cromo front. We have been wrestling with the thought of making this bike in all aluminum. It would solve some manufacturing difficultys, remove a bit of weight and still remain plenty strong. ETA on it will be mid summer, maybe later depending....we want it to be perfect.
I would really like to know what the monkeys thoughts on this are. Would you perfer a aluminum or steel bike and why.

Reptile said:
Lance,

Can you post frame weights for the Balance, Lucky, and Formula 1? (with Fox DHX 5.0 coil)

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
flymybike said:
I would really like to know what the monkeys thoughts on this are. Would you perfer a aluminum or steel bike and why.
crap, who can wait that long for perfection?!?!?:mumble:

i like steel for the smaller tubes and strength..
like my Hood:

I also think it gives a quieter ride..
BUT, I also love my Bullit and this would be a direct replacement for the Bullit as a freeride bike I can pedal... I'd use the big bikes for the lift runs, so the Lucky or Highline or whatever will have to be pedal-able.. I guess that means as light as possible without risking any strength.. If you could do that, than I guess it wouldn't matter if the front was aluminum.. i'd just have to find another place for my refrigerator magnets..

SUMMER???

crap.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It should be made of Reynolds 953 steel of course (or how about some external BB crank arms made from it instead of ti - looks like someone thought it was a good idea ;) )!

IF Bikes said:
a specially developed alloy of martensitic-aging stainless steel dubbed 953. This material is twice as strong (953 has a tensile strength of 2000MPa) as 6Al/4V titanium alloy (6/4 ti has a tensile strength of 1050MPa)

Because of 953's incredible hardness (like armor plating) it is highly dent resistant and can be drawn to super thin wall thicknesses. We can control the ductility of the frameset through the post weld heat treatment of the frame to ensure maximum fatigue and yield strength. A properly purged 953 frame has corrosion resistance similar to that of standard 300 series stainless steel, like surgical steel.
Seriously though if Al is easier to work with, lighter, cheaper, and almost as strong it seems like the obvious choice and you already have the F1 with steel for more abusive usage. Whats the shock stroke on there and what are the two different shock hole positions on the upper linkage do? What size hub does the rear end use?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Is there a waiting list on the Lucky yet? ;)

I dont care what you make it out of as long as its around 10 lbs, comes with a Roco or Avy, and around $2k. Aluminum would be nice so its lighter and could be used as a do all bike.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Bullitboyz said:
crap, who can wait that long for perfection?!?!?:mumble:

i like steel for the smaller tubes and strength..
like my Hood:

I also think it gives a quieter ride..
BUT, I also love my Bullit and this would be a direct replacement for the Bullit as a freeride bike I can pedal... I'd use the big bikes for the lift runs, so the Lucky or Highline or whatever will have to be pedal-able.. I guess that means as light as possible without risking any strength.. If you could do that, than I guess it wouldn't matter if the front was aluminum.. i'd just have to find another place for my refrigerator magnets..

SUMMER???

crap.
Nice Hood!
That's what my line of thinking was too. The F1 and the Balance are steel. This would be a great do it all bike and if I can make it lighter, why not? I do love the look of smaller tubes though. M2C
No wait list on the Lucky yet. We need our final proto then when we start production we will.
anyone...anyone...Bueller

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Beast said:
Beautiful work Lance and Chris :cool:
I'm To Old and way to slow to know who you guys are, but also I being around design for a long time and let me tell you Guys (Lance & Chris and how ever works with you) are really smart and inovative, I love that Lower linkage concept, exelent way to kill a few birds with one little peddle...

Great work..

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
SBDownhillRacer said:
are those saint brakes on hayes rotors? looks like it
The roters are a miss match, what was laying around because apparently shimano isn't making a IS 6 bolt roter this year even thought I got some last fall before interbike. Very anoying. PS anyone want to buy a set of saint brakes with miss match roters? !!:mumble:

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Well,
I have been all about this frame ever since I first layed eyes on it!!! Absolute perfection in my mind. Only thing that would make it better is if it could be lighter but still be able to maintain good overall strength. I would think a target weight similar to the highline would be nice :)
Would you have to change the overall shape of the front triangle by adding gussets and such if you switched to alu?