Quantcast

cannabis country

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
so, apparently its now legal, in ONTARIO, to possess (small?) quantities of MJ:

pot is kewl

however, my wife still won't let me smoke it. let the gestapo roll on!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by slein
however, my wife still won't let me smoke it. let the gestapo roll on!

I bet if your removed your balls from her purse, you could light one up. :monkey:

(j/k)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
And I thought Canada was finally becoming respectable....
i don't think they honestly care if you respect their country or not.....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Any country where Pat Robertson and Al Sharpton get any sort of respect has no business pointing fingers :)

Then, of course, there is our esteemed president. Chretien is senile, Bush is stupid...not sure which is worse.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
And I thought Canada was finally becoming respectable....
They allow small ammounts of cannabis allowing the police and courts to deal with crime that has a much bigger impact on society.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by D_D
They allow small ammounts of cannabis allowing the police and courts to deal with crime that has a much bigger impact on society.

Exactly, like people who murder people for large amounts of cannabis to be distributed in small legal amounts.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Super, now with a new influx of tons of people in that province getting legally stoned your economy is sure to take off. People are super-motivated when high.

Question:
Do people that live in provinces act provincial?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Exactly, like people who murder people for large amounts of cannabis to be distributed in small legal amounts.
Either legalise the supply or stop it getting into the country.

Charging the odd user is a complete waste of time, money and effort.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by D_D
Either legalise the supply or stop it getting into the country.

Charging the odd user is a complete waste of time, money and effort.

Exactly,

Stop handing out speeding tickets to drivers and start fining GM.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
I find it odd that many of the same people that claime that "we" as a society need to find and solve the source of problems be they social or political turn a rapid about face on that ideology when we are talking about this subject.
Isn't "the source" of this problem the demand, rather than the supply?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Damn True
I find it odd that many of the same people that claime that "we" as a society need to find and solve the source of problems be they social or political turn a rapid about face on that ideology when we are talking about this subject.
Why is there demand for cannabis?

Is it possible to remove this reason?

Is it easyer to remove the demand or the source?

Does removing cannabis produce a new problem?

Do you even care?

Is there something more important that could be done first?

I would be nice to live in a society where cannabis wasn't used but there are bigger problems that deserve the resources wasted on arresting a small percentage of cannabis users who's demand for cannabis isn't changed.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by D_D
Why is there demand for cannabis?

Is it possible to remove this reason?

Is it easyer to remove the demand or the source?

Does removing cannabis produce a new problem?

Do you even care?

Is there something more important that could be done first?

I would be nice to live in a society where cannabis wasn't used but there are bigger problems that deserve the resources wasted on arresting a small percentage of cannabis users who's demand for cannabis isn't changed.
People like to get high, and pot is less harmful than other illicit drugs, even some legal ones. I think pot use is probably on par with alcohol use.

People like to get high, there isn't reallly anything wrong with that either, as long as people are taught responsibility. I know many responsible people who smoke pot, and I know plenty of irresponsible people who don't. Pot isn't the problem.

Pot is just aan easy target for the woes of society, such as video games and songs that contain swear words. Like a wise man once said "Alcohol, the cause of and cure to all of lifes problems."

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by Tenchiro
People like to get high, and pot is less harmful than other illicit drugs, even some legal ones. I think pot use is probably on par with alcohol use.
Alchohol is much more damaging to both the human body and society than marijuana.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Do you drink?

Just curious to know if pot were legal and alcohol were not if you would have the same feelings about the legalization of alcohol. Is your passion for pots legalization based on the fact that it is your depressant drug of choice, or is it a purely moral/philosophical issue?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Do you drink?

Just curious to know if pot were legal and alcohol were not if you would have the same feelings about the legalization of alcohol. Is your passion for pots legalization based on the fact that it is your depressant drug of choice, or is it a purely moral/philosophical issue?
Alcohol is more addictive and the results of use are worse than pot.

How do you justify alcohol being legal but pot illegal.

If you think both should be illegal how are people going to replace the experiance.

The fact that pot is illegal makes no difference to my life apart from the fact I can't smoke it in a pub and it has higher moral problems attached to buying it. I just think that if you are going to have a law but can't enfource it why bother.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Do you drink?

I've always maintained a large variety of acquaintances because I cherish the differences in backgrounds, personalities, and interests.
I've seen a great deal of drug use, and I feel that fact has more to do with being trustworthy and non-judgmental than any discriminating choice of friends and activities.
I've seen first hand what some drugs can do to people’s lives. Many high school friends of mine are in real crap situations now…lives ruined type of stuff.
However, I have never seen marijuana use be responsible for damaging a persons life.
From what I can tell, alcohol is the most dangerous drug on the street. Most homeless are alcoholic…and it’s always the alcoholism that comes first.
I do drink....a bit more than I should if I'm trying to get serious about a carrier in 4X.
I think if alcohol were made illegal again, you’d end up with the same organized crime problems as during prohibition...all the same violence that is attributed to black-market drug dealings today. Preventing alchoholism by education is more effective than making it illegal.

I don't smoke pot: it increases my anxiety.
Besides, I’m naturally high as hell.
So to fulfill your curiosity, my passion for legalizing pot is because I'm a composites engineer who sees hemp as the savior of the modern world, and I can’t find one good reason for it to be illegal.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Well we agree that industrial hemp should be legal and widely cultivated. I don't however think that pot should be a legal drug.

Can we have one w/o te other?
Yes, we can have one with out the other.
But the marijuana supply chain would be different.

Non THC containing hemp looks identical to THC containing plants.
It would be impossible to prevent the increased supply of marijuana.
But we have seen in the days of prohibition that demand for alcohol was unrelated to supply.
The same constancy of demand holds true with most drugs, and would be the case with marijuana.

So, while the supply of marijuana would increase, demand would stay the same.
Obviously the cost of pot would go down tremendously.
Dealing it would no longer be as profitable, so we would likely see a shift in the way marijuana is distributed.
I can only imagine this change being good for all of society.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
I bet if your removed your balls from her purse, you could light one up. :monkey:

i still light up, but she can tell i've been bad. i get pretty potent stuff :)

and, it makes me ride like a demon :devil: :eek:

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
Originally posted by D_D
the object of this (decriminalisation) is to allow police ossifers to give you a ticket instead of arresting you, writing a report,

i'd rather they'd shoot me. i f*ckin hate getting tickets.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
Originally posted by Sideways
...my passion for legalizing pot is because I'm a composites engineer who sees hemp as the savior of the modern world, and I can’t find one good reason for it to be illegal.
ERTW = Engineeers Rule The World

slein <- chemical/environmental engineer = beer, bombs and drugs

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you drink?

i'd still drink, keeps the lungs in better shape for riding, even if i carry a few of those beers up the climbs with me! haha

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
i agree. ETOH is very much more damaging to the body than MJ (THC).

i learned that at evil medical school. :D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

So, while the supply of marijuana would increase, demand would stay the same.
Obviously the cost of pot would go down tremendously.
Dealing it would no longer be as profitable, so we would likely see a shift in the way marijuana is distributed.
I can only imagine this change being good for all of society.
Wow,

That really is a bit to think about in the overall scheme of things. Although i think i could imagine the shift being bad for society in some ways. I mean, as you stated, the supply would increase and the cost would go down. I see this as only more drugs in the hands of drug users, and drug dealers. Although they probably wouldnt be turning as much profit, I still say there would be dealers out there selling drugs to kids at even cheaper prices. A massive influx of marijuana, i think in the long-run, would cause more drug use. That's not to say that anyone who wants to use drugs can't just easily go out and get them, but why make the task any simpler?
In my mind, the easier it is to get ahold of, the more people will begin use, and so begins the cycle of everything we talked about in the other thread.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

Absolutely. But waiting until kids are ALREADY using and THEN arresting them doesn't eliminate the demand. Educating them early, and giving them more positive outlets and alternatives will remove FAR more users before they start than every police officer in the nation (ours or theirs) could arrest and throw in jail... where they will become hardened criminals.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
Absolutely. But waiting until kids are ALREADY using and THEN arresting them doesn't eliminate the demand. Educating them early, and giving them more positive outlets and alternatives will remove FAR more users before they start than every police officer in the nation (ours or theirs) could arrest and throw in jail... where they will become hardened criminals.
So allowing them to smoke in the meantime, and passing that on to others helps, how?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So allowing them to smoke in the meantime, and passing that on to others helps, how?
As I'm sure you'll agree, the government has limited resources to spend on this issue. I believe too much is being spent on a problem that will remain perpetual as long as not enough is being spent on solving the root. I agree that existing users "recruit" new users through social circles, but prisons turn users into dealers, and then puts them back on the street.

I think if we allocated more money towards education and rehab, than imprisonment, we could vastly reduce drug use and abuse, and improve the ability of addicts/abuers to re-enter society.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Wow,

That really is a bit to think about in the overall scheme of things. Although i think i could imagine the shift being bad for society in some ways. I mean, as you stated, the supply would increase and the cost would go down. I see this as only more drugs in the hands of drug users, and drug dealers. Although they probably wouldnt be turning as much profit, I still say there would be dealers out there selling drugs to kids at even cheaper prices. A massive influx of marijuana, i think in the long-run, would cause more drug use. That's not to say that anyone who wants to use drugs can't just easily go out and get them, but why make the task any simpler?
In my mind, the easier it is to get ahold of, the more people will begin use, and so begins the cycle of everything we talked about in the other thread.
The question at hand was essentially "is it possible to legalize growing hemp for industrial purposes, but maintain laws against the drug marijuana.
I say yes, and the laws would be more effective.
If such were the case, the decreased profitability of marijuana would discourage dealers who understand the legal risk of their trade.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The question at hand was essentially "is it possible to legalize growing hemp for industrial purposes, but maintain laws against the drug marijuana.
I say yes, and the laws would be more effective.
If such were the case, the decreased profitability of marijuana would discourage dealers who understand the legal risk of their trade.
You must still see that there would be dealers though. The demand would not only still be there, but increase. Someone stands to make a profit in any market .

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
You must still see that there would be dealers though. The demand would not only still be there, but increase. Someone stands to make a profit in any market .
How would the demand for marijuana increase by legalizing hemp?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
How would the demand for marijuana increase by legalizing hemp?
Wrong thread dude.

This is the one about legalizing MJ in canada.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I gotta ask Burly, (and don't get me wrong, I like arguing with you, and I do respect your opinions, have for a long time, even though I think you're wrong on this issue), have you looked at the stats for drug use in the Netherlands?

Very very interesting.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Silver
I gotta ask Burly, (and don't get me wrong, I like arguing with you, and I do respect your opinions, have for a long time, even though I think you're wrong on this issue), have you looked at the stats for drug use in the Netherlands?

Very very interesting.
You know man, I gotta honestly say that what I've seen as far as numbers seems mostly encouraging. But i have trouble believing in the sources. Even if they are from the government, its not unlikely that they may have been spruced a bit to keep the country looking good. Both to the people who live there and to the outside world.
Still, even if the numbers were correct, I still have a moral issue (wierd didnt know i had morals) with allowing for legalization of something that is inherently bad. If my government decides drugs are AOK, thats telling the kids that drugs are OK. I see this as wrong.
Using legalization of drugs to boost the economy is wrong. Its just a bad idea to me.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
I doubt there would be quite as many dealers.
The distribution would come from a greater number of sources, and the number of times the material changed hands would be less.
Here’s how I see things going down.
Joe Normal would sneak some illegal thc containing plants in Billy Farmers field (just as some folks do in Corn fields today).
Come early fall, Joe would sneak those plants out and rush them home for him and his friends to enjoy.
Folks in America who already choose to smoke would do so without supporting extensive black market trade.
Billy Farmer might get a little pissed, but that’s all the harm done.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I doubt there would be quite as many dealers.
The distribution would come from a greater number of sources, and the number of times the material changed hands would be less.
Here’s how I see things going down.
Joe Normal would sneak some illegal thc containing plants in Billy Farmers field (just as some folks do in Corn fields today).
Come early fall, Joe would sneak those plants out and rush them home for him and his friends to enjoy.
Folks in America who already choose to smoke would do so without supporting extensive black market trade.
Billy Farmer might get a little pissed, but that’s all the harm done.
Marshall, you need to check out my post in the Hemp thread. Marijuana and hemp don't do well together. Marijuana and corn.....thats a completely different story

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
hemp's a fabulous material, but for some reason (be it racist or stupidity) the dudes in control don't want it. hemp will take away money from big-fat-rich-white people, because they won't be able to get people to pick their cotton anymore. using hemp is better than what we are doing right now (and i don't need to quote any sources BS). its production is very sustainable. there are other hard facts that show hemp is beneficial to society...

however, producing it will hurt the US economy. and that would be SOOOOO bad for the planet. burning fossil fuels are great too (not).

everyone seems to dance around the issue of why MJ is not legal. there is no good reason to prohibit its use. i don't to force it on anyone because it is their choice if they want to use it. obviously i'm not gonna let a kid smoke it, but there comes a time in everyone's life when they can make educated decisions. the current state of affairs puts fear into people... this fear stems from abuse of power: the government.

open your eyes and see the truth. you'll see it even quicker after puffing on a nice phatty.

as for trafficking of the substance... HOLY COW, MAN! cannabis can grow pretty much anywhere (like your closet or garden). you grow it, you smoke it, and the only people gettin yo' dough is the power company and government....

you can carry a gun (that can kill), but you can't carry weed. hmmmmmmm..... sounds like a rocket science to me. i still can't figure it out.