Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Is the warranty really worth it if you buy a car with a good general record? I understand on an RR its a good idea as is a piece of shit but I would not buy that in the first place.
I would not buy a extended service contract for a car with a good record, but generally those service contracts are also lot less cash than ones for vehicles that are known to be garbage.
I just bought a Ford Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost and power running boards(both are know to break and are $$$$ repair and replace) so I opted for the extended service contract which was also very expensive.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I hate that this Doug Mouro make sit seem like CARMAX is paying his bills to fix these turds that he buys.
But he has an UNLIMITED BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY.

UNLIMITED.

BUMPER.

TO.

BUMPER.

WARRANTY.

(insert incredible wacky waving finger flailing gesture here)

UNLIMITED.

BUMPER.

TO.

BUMPER.

WARRANTY.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
He is the Mountain Bike Action of car reviewers. Companies that are good to him get good reviews.
I meant that CARMAX is not paying out of pocket to repair his crappy cars. He says "CARMAX had to pay XXX dollars to fix this and that", they are not. It's a third party.
CARMAX does probably love him for that, they make their $1,000-$1,500 per service contract and it becomes someone else's problem. Which is also why Doug Mauro wrote an article about the Range Rover warranty being $8,000 now.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
mercury don't exist no mo', when they did, cadillac was rebounding from years of mediocrity. Indeed, the 2004 CTS was a pretty dismal car in terms of reliability.

Comparing a 2015 caddy with a mercury sable based on reviews from 2005 is not a good comparison.
Those Caddy's are not good but not bad either. I would go for a warranty if it was under $2,500 just for peace of mind. For more than that I would take the gamble.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I meant that CARMAX is not paying out of pocket to repair his crappy cars. He says "CARMAX had to pay XXX dollars to fix this and that", they are not. It's a third party.
CARMAX does probably love him for that, they make their $1,000-$1,500 per service contract and it becomes someone else's problem. Which is also why Doug Mauro wrote an article about the Range Rover warranty being $8,000 now.
Uh, MaxCare is sold and administered by CarMax afaik. Hell, to avoid the $50 deductible you can actually get your vehicle fixed at a CarMax store...

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
QFT

I'd gladly pay a slight premium to avoid the whole car buying "experience". Such horseshit.
I lucked out then on my last purchase. one email, asked for their best price and they beat everyone soundly. had to haggle a little for my trade in but that went fairly easy when I told them that if I didn't get my price then I go to Option B. I let them know they weren't the only car I wanted, I had 4 options to go with and I was prepared to go down the line. Deal was done in 30 mins.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I lucked out then on my last purchase. one email, asked for their best price and they beat everyone soundly. had to haggle a little for my trade in but that went fairly easy when I told them that if I didn't get my price then I go to Option B. I let them know they weren't the only car I wanted, I had 4 options to go with and I was prepared to go down the line. Deal was done in 30 mins.
Here they take you for a ride because they know you can't go anywhere else, they overcharge with markups because there's no sales tax, but you can't really go anywhere else. I used the costco program to lock in a price on my latest car, the program also gave me $700 back, which I just got a few days ago. There's still lots of bullshit, like them trying to sell you undercoating and spray on windshield strengthener, but less using the program.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have a special pricing program with several brands at work. Usually guarantees a few hundred off of dealer invoice. You can usually get a deal for less than invoice but you get the option of taking the few hundred off of any available sales or negotiated price as it is a factory rebate.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Uh, MaxCare is sold and administered by CarMax afaik. Hell, to avoid the $50 deductible you can actually get your vehicle fixed at a CarMax store...
CARMAX primarily uses The Warranty Group, pretty much all preowned places go with a third party administrator. Up until a few years ago most manufactures used a third party with their name stamped on the third party's coverage plan. The big names are JM&A or Zurich.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Here they take you for a ride because they know you can't go anywhere else, they overcharge with markups because there's no sales tax, but you can't really go anywhere else. I used the costco program to lock in a price on my latest car, the program also gave me $700 back, which I just got a few days ago. There's still lots of bullshit, like them trying to sell you undercoating and spray on windshield strengthener, but less using the program.
i tried to use the BJ Wholesale club discount and still got a better deal

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
was thinking about trying the costco membership to buy a kia if I went that route.
Keep your eye on the offers then, Costco will offer special deals at certain times of the year, like when the were doing the cash-back card when I bought, that deal ended on January 3 or something, I took delivery on the 2nd.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Have bought 2x from them, both deals were easy. But yeah, no haggling, it is what it is. I paid cash both times and have had no issues. The second one they even shipped in from California for me, no obligation whatsoever if I didnt want it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Is the warranty really worth it if you buy a car with a good general record? I understand on an RR its a good idea as is a piece of shit but I would not buy that in the first place.
I did buy an extended warranty from them. I bought a Subaru Outback and they have a reputation for blowing headgaskets...$1500 to replace a blown head gasket and piece of mind is okay by me...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
was thinking about trying the costco membership to buy a kia if I went that route.
Costco sells a sh!tload of cars according to an article I skimmed the other day. They have shown growth every year even as sales overall have fallen across the industry. Carmax has been struggling since many manufacturers started taking back their own lease returns to resell vs auction where Carmax used to get most of their vehicles.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Make sure that there isn't a SPECIFIC exclusion on Subaru head gaskets in the warranty. Because I'd wager EVERY 3rd-party warranty provider has one. :rofl:
The warranty is usually just a few hundred more for the cars with know issues. Drop the VIN into a screen and the computer spits out a price.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting experience today. I can see why people shop there. The offer on my car was 1k higher than I've been offered previously, which is where it should be. The other cars were a little brutal, however.

The cadillac probably needs a new transmission. There was significant whine coming from somewhere that got worse with increased RPM, and one time the transmission didn't shift at all on a 0-60 run. I had it floored from a rolling start and it shifted through the first couple gears then just kept going in the same gear. Weird issue, couldn't repeat it. Transmission noise dropped out when rolling to a stop. They said they would take a look, but I think I need to look elsewhere.

I also drove a 335i that was fairly clearly some kind of tuner car or something. Maybe not, I'm not that familiar with them, but it had black painted headlight washers, a black exhaust, black mirrors, and the interior kind of rattled and clicked, it wasn't solid like I would think a german car would be built like. It did smell like a german car though.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The cadillac probably needs a new transmission. There was significant whine coming from somewhere that got worse with increased RPM, and one time the transmission didn't shift at all on a 0-60 run. I had it floored from a rolling start and it shifted through the first couple gears then just kept going in the same gear. Weird issue, couldn't repeat it. Transmission noise dropped out when rolling to a stop. They said they would take a look, but I think I need to look elsewhere.

I also drove a 335i that was fairly clearly some kind of tuner car or something. Maybe not, I'm not that familiar with them, but it had black painted headlight washers, a black exhaust, black mirrors, and the interior kind of rattled and clicked, it wasn't solid like I would think a german car would be built like. It did smell like a german car though.
:rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know they aren't reliable, but I thought they were at least built properly from the start. There shouldn't be creaks coming from the one part of the door you're actually supposed to hold to close the door...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sounds like pretty much any slushbox before the more modern ones. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't understand the Caddy at all. A Chevy with bling tattoos for self-made losers.
wait what? the v-sport, or just in general?

the cts has a mostly aluminum front section to save weight, plus magneto-rheological dampers that actually impart changes when adjusted. Also an electric locking differential, heads up display, lane keep assist that's like a vibrator in your pocket, and it'll do 60 and stay almost silent inside. It's a very impressive car, it's just the one I drove was beat on.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hey wait..

What about a Chevy SS!????;

Could probably still find a new one hiding somewhere in the Midwest with a discount and free floor mats.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The SS manuals carry a hefty premium....to the tune of 45k used with a manual. Not really interested in paying that much for so little...the autos might be less, but if I have to buy an auto, it's going to be an 8 speed.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The SS manuals carry a hefty premium....to the tune of 45k used with a manual. Not really interested in paying that much for so little...the autos might be less, but if I have to buy an auto, it's going to be an 8 speed.
Is that price difference driven purely by demand? Auto cannot be cheaper than manual, correct?