Quantcast

Carmax

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Automatics work better when they have even more options for being in the wrong gear.
The ZF 8 speed is supposed to be a fine piece of work. The 9 speed not so much.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The ZF 8 speed is supposed to be a fine piece of work. The 9 speed not so much.

which one are you talking about?
the chrysler one? or the one for german cars? the latter, I know not much.

The first one?
jesus titty fucking christ. failure rates are in double digits and currently they are in backorder worldwide. worst late modelo transmission I have ever seen.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The first one?
jesus titty fucking christ. failure rates are in double digits and currently they are in backorder worldwide. worst late modelo transmission I have ever seen.

Chrysler and transmissions LOLOLOLOLOLOL

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Automatics work better when they have even more options for being in the wrong gear.
I've been driving my GF's CVT Impreza, because I can't drive a manual with my ankle in its current state. Kill that thing with fire.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been driving my GF's CVT Impreza, because I can't drive a manual with my ankle in its current state. Kill that thing with fire.
You cannot properly control both a throttle and gear selection based on the single input of a gas pedal.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

The first one?
The ZF one. Used in many longitudinal applications.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

The first one?
Cannot be much worse than the 4sp GM POS that Volvo used in the T6 premium cars (S80, XC90). Still giving me nightmares.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
8 speed transmission equipped cars are generally significantly more efficient

the more modern transmissions also shift with flappy paddles, rather than a stalk on on the steering column.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The ZF one. Used in many longitudinal applications.
ZF makes several variants of the 8speed.
One for German cars (8HP); and another one for FCA 845RE (and others which i recall at the moment, but are basically FCA evolutions on the 845RE).

The one used by german manufacturers is praised my many. The one used by FCA is the problematic.
Am not exactly sure what difference makes only one of them good; but I know for a fact failure rates are sky high, thus FCA has a 2 month backorder on them.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
the more modern transmissions also shift with flappy paddles, rather than a stalk on on the steering column.
I hate flappy paddles. Give me up/down on the stick if I can't have manual. Flappy paddles are not compatible with the way I mishandle the steering wheel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hate flappy paddles. Give me up/down on the stick if I can't have manual. Flappy paddles are not compatible with the way I mishandle the steering wheel.
lucky for you, the trulia has both. So far, I have been ambivalent about them. I'd prefer to have the option to shift manually if I can't have a stick, and modern flappers do a pretty good job, but it definitely depends on the transmission and steering setup. On the alfa, they are pretty intrusive. On most cars, they are tiny buttons right under 10 and 2. The more interesting thing, for me, is the difference between drive modes. the sport modes really make for crisp shifts and even downshifts.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ZF makes several variants of the 8speed.
One for German cars (8HP); and another one for FCA 845RE (and others which i recall at the moment, but are basically FCA evolutions on the 845RE).

The one used by german manufacturers is praised my many. The one used by FCA is the problematic.
Am not exactly sure what difference makes only one of them good; but I know for a fact failure rates are sky high, thus FCA has a 2 month backorder on them.
Programming, gear sizes and other things are different, the ZF is definitely not consistent just because it’s a ZF. I rented a Chrysler a few years ago that had the 8spd and it was real confused as to which gear it should be in. Had it in my last car and it was ok, except in non-sport mode it always wanted to start in second, which made it lag a bit off the line, kind of annoying, otherwise it was good and especially good at maintaining speed up and down hills and predicting shifts for turns, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
lucky for you, the trulia has both. So far, I have been ambivalent about them. I'd prefer to have the option to shift manually if I can't have a stick, and modern flappers do a pretty good job, but it definitely depends on the transmission and steering setup. On the alfa, they are pretty intrusive. On most cars, they are tiny buttons right under 10 and 2. The more interesting thing, for me, is the difference between drive modes. the sport modes really make for crisp shifts and even downshifts.
Think hard about the driving modes, I had to drive my bmw in sport all the time and sometimes sport+, for the suspension tune and trans shifting, but it locked out 8th gear at the same time with sport+, and it would always revert back to comfort on start. Being able to select and customize the settings without having to switch modes all the time is nice.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless you're taking it on the track, I don't think they overheat? And if it goes into limp mode on the street, there's a high chance you might be getting arrested for doing it, too. :busted:

They can overheat after cracking the radiator after you run into a telephone pole while trying to do a burnout while leaving Cars'nCoffee.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Unless you're taking it on the track, I don't think they overheat? And if it goes into limp mode on the street, there's a high chance you might be getting arrested for doing it, too. :busted:
There is a new class action suit over it. Supposedly the 2017+ are "fixed" but there are a lot of reports just driving around, sort of like just riding along. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There is a new class action suit over it. Supposedly the 2017+ are "fixed" but there are a lot of reports just driving around, sort of like just riding along. :rofl:
That whole limp mode thing is just kind of baffling. I mean, that car in particular must have been tested on a track. How did they not get those same results in testing? Its not like GM doesn't have a testing facility in a freakin' desert...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That whole limp mode thing is just kind of baffling. I mean, that car in particular must have been tested on a track. How did they not get those same results in testing? Its not like GM doesn't have a testing facility in a freakin' desert...
Too quick to market. There still isn't an official Nurburgring time, likely because it overheats before it gets a full lap in. :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Even my WRX would go into limp-mode occasionally in Arizona, a bigger inter-cooler helped, but didn't solve it, was still drive-able ,but kept the turbo-boost to levels around 8psi that felt like about 180hp or so, no boost up to 14-15.

But I think the cooling issues have been worked out with the later models of the Z06 and like you said, if it happens, you are likely well into a track or illegal stuff and I wouldn't hold it against the car. What I would hold against it is significantly less interior space in the rear as compared to the ZL-1. Stay far away from the ZL-1 1LE though, that's a track-only monster without a livable daily suspension mode (solid mounts, etc.).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Rav 4 proved itself in today's weather. 17" of snow, no problem. Just barrels through everything. Water, Snow, Very capable. Nothing stopped me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Rav 4 proved itself in today's weather. 17" of snow, no problem. Just barrels through everything. Water, Snow, Very capable. Nothing stopped me.
The honda pilot with studded tires does pretty well, no complaints.

17" of snow is pretty impressive.

The bmw 4 with studded tires that I had modded with swaybars, springs and active-damper tune ruled the snow pretty well, except for the ground c clearance was unstoppable and on sport+ got some nice tail-sliding going on. Had a Mercedes 4matic before that seemed to be even better sorted in the snow, could completely control the body-rotation with the throttle and tires. The suspension was pretty soft and not well suited for hard driving in the summer, but in the winter on snow, damn, that was a good AWD system for sure. Subarus and the various German manufactures are the most popular up here, due to the wide variety of AWD vehicles. Contrary to popular myth, AWD helps a lot, as conditions are often so icy and sketchy that any throttle movement can kick out the rear end and send you sliding, being able to move from a stop in the direction you want to go can depend highly on AWD.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Shrapnel from a takata airbag flying into your neck and face could stop you.

But you're right, the RAV4 is a fine vehicle. I'm not a big fan of the styling on the latest model.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I would love to punch Toyota in the face for our 1992 4-runner that simply sent all the power to the spinning wheel when it was in "4 wd" mode. It was basically worse than running it in the normal rwd. We were able to get a subaru legacy help us get unstuck one time...

The 1990 4cyl tacoma (wasn't called that yet I think) we had didn't have this problem at all. Getting out and locking the hubs is a small price to pay for 4wd that actually F-ing works.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I would love to punch Toyota in the face for our 1992 4-runner that simply sent all the power to the spinning wheel when it was in "4 wd" mode. It was basically worse than running it in the normal rwd. We were able to get a subaru legacy help us get unstuck one time...

The 1990 4cyl tacoma (wasn't called that yet I think) we had didn't have this problem at all. Getting out and locking the hubs is a small price to pay for 4wd that actually F-ing works.
Uh, did you just describe open diffs?