Quantcast

centrelock hubs and rotors ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Anyone using centrelock hubs and rotors ?
What do you think of them and how do you rate them ?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Easy to install rotors, easy to remove, and lighter overall. And no stripped torx bolts.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Waste of time. It just makes everyone stray away from the standard making parts availability harder. 6 bolt is fine.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
bballe336 said:
Waste of time. It just makes everyone stray away from the standard making parts availability harder. 6 bolt is fine.
You've obviously never have flown somewhere with your bikes and a couple wheelsets. Nothing like stripping the head on a torx as you're rushing to get your bike in a box so you don't miss a flight. I certainly have never been considered the biggest fan of Shimano but I personally really like the concept of centerlock. It's how it should have be done from the start.

-ska todd

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They work great and are a definite plus if you need to remove your rotors often, but in my experience the rotors are harder to straighten if/when you bend them. They are arguably harder to bend, but I bent one in a crash and it was never quite right again.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
ska todd said:
You've obviously never have flown somewhere with your bikes and a couple wheelsets. Nothing like stripping the head on a torx as you're rushing to get your bike in a box so you don't miss a flight. I certainly have never been considered the biggest fan of Shimano but I personally really like the concept of centerlock. It's how it should have be done from the start.

-ska todd
Actually I very rarely strip bolt heads. If you are careful you shouldn't have any problem. And there is no point in rushing to get a bolt off, it's not going to come off quicker if you are frantic. And you shouldn't have tightened them enough so that you would strip them trying to get them out. Not to mention that you should have (if you care about your bikes at all) taken the time to carefully pack them before you are at the airport or in a hurry. I see no real problem, just carelessness.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
bballe336 said:
Actually I very rarely strip bolt heads. If you are careful you shouldn't have any problem. And there is no point in rushing to get a bolt off, it's not going to come off quicker if you are frantic. And you shouldn't have tightened them enough so that you would strip them trying to get them out. Not to mention that you should have (if you care about your bikes at all) taken the time to carefully pack them before you are at the airport or in a hurry. I see no real problem, just carelessness.
agree, and Torx are designed to not strip so doing so means overtorquing or a worn tool. Plus a sprocket tool is not part of a basic tool kit.

But i guess center-lock is safer for careless mechanics who are chronic late flight-packers :evil:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Centrelock is a muchbetter system then 6 lame ass torx bolts. The tool they use is a standard bike tool and should bei n every bike mechanics box. Torx are from from standard in ANYONE's toolbox.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bballe336 said:
You should always plan for the best case scenario. I personally never make any mistakes, either repairing or riding a bike, so I make sure to use red loctite instead of grease so that all my bolts can never come off in case an inferior mechanic thinks something is broken.

I have seen brand new hubs with frozen torx bolts, and when you break one off, you replace the whole wheel. How does that factor into your "careless" scenario?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
sanjuro said:
I have seen brand new hubs with frozen torx bolts, and when you break one off, you replace the whole wheel. How does that factor into your "careless" scenario?
i would love to have all those "broken" wheelsets. Anyways, Loctite keeps bolts from seizing.

the pros/cons are pretty marginal on the mechanical sides anyway, but i think the availability is the main issue.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
sanjuro said:
You should always plan for the best case scenario. I personally never make any mistakes, either repairing or riding a bike, so I make sure to use red loctite instead of grease so that all my bolts can never come off in case an inferior mechanic thinks something is broken.

I have encountered PLENTY of Torx bolts that have had loctite on them. Press down and turn. It isn't hard.

And I have a full set of Torx wrenches in both of my tool boxes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zedro said:
i would love to have all those "broken" wheelsets. Anyways, Loctite keeps bolts from seizing.

the pros/cons are pretty marginal on the mechanical sides anyway, but i think the availability is the main issue.
I have 3 hubs that have bolts firmly embedded in them. The heads all snapped off. :rolleyes: All were during removal of bolts that were not overtorqued and had a drop of blue loctite on them to prevent seizing.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You realy dont need to apply THAT much force when installing M4 bolts. Thats the problem 99% of the time when someone strips out or breaks the head off a bolt; overtightening.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
The fact that it takes a half hour to swap 6 bolt rotors is reason enough to use centerlock. It can be a real wrist workout too. Centerlock is better in every way, if only more companies would use it...

Now that Sun-Ringle and Hayes are one company, it would be the perfect time for them to adopt the system.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anyone have a weight comparison?

I've used both and can pretty much take it or leave it either way. Centerlock is easier but it's just not that often that I am touching my rotor bolts.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
bballe336 said:
Not carelessness at all, just most of us here live in the real world of bikes, riding, and racing and not on the intrawebs shiztalking and getting in over our heads. In the real world you have to get in "one more run" and then are 15 mins later than you planned. In the real world you don't bring your perfect Snap-on torx set to a race b/c you have learned that they always mysteriously disappear when other riders "borrow" them. In the real world them little T25 torx heads get dropped in the dirt of the P'kill parking lot, ground against a Mountain Creek rock, or get filled by wood splinters when you bail off a skinny on the shore. Experienced riders know that not everything will go by the Barnetts book when you step foot outside the shop door and you have to learn to compensate and improvise. I've told you this before grom, "Pay some dues" before you spout off on topics.

-ska todd

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ska todd said:
Not carelessness at all, just most of us here live in the real world of bikes, riding, and racing and not on the intrawebs shiztalking and getting in over our heads. In the real world you have to get in "one more run" and then are 15 mins later than you planned. In the real world you don't bring your perfect Snap-on torx set to a race b/c you have learned that they always mysteriously disappear when other riders "borrow" them. In the real world them little T25 torx heads get dropped in the dirt of the P'kill parking lot, ground against a Mountain Creek rock, or get filled by wood splinters when you bail off a skinny on the shore. Experienced riders know that not everything will go by the Barnetts book when you step foot outside the shop door and you have to learn to compensate and improvise. I've told you this before grom, "Pay some dues" before you spout off on topics.

-ska todd
bingo.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Transcend said:
that all may be true, but you guys are being race-centric again, not everyone has those needs. It would also be nice to have other quick change wheel technology motorsports have, but face it, we dont all need to make 5 second wheel changes. If center-lock was the system majority then it would be an easy sell, but it isnt, so us frugal people that dont live the fast-paced and glamorous racer lifestyle are quite happy with our slow and methodical maintenance routines, low part swapping counts and infrequent flights with multiple wheelsets that need quick rotor changes for whatever reason...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zedro said:
that all may be true, but you guys are being race-centric again, not everyone has those needs. It would also be nice to have other quick change wheel technology motorsports have, but face it, we dont all need to make 5 second wheel changes. If center-lock was the system majority then it would be an easy sell, but it isnt, so us frugal people that dont live the fast-paced and glamorous racer lifestyle are quite happy with our slow and methodical maintenance routines, low part swapping counts and infrequent flights with multiple wheelsets that need quick rotor changes for whatever reason...
Oh, i see. So only racers break bolt heads off, grind bolt heads down, or otherwise full boltheads full of crap (wood, dirt, mud, rock chunks etc).

Gotcha, well I am glad you caught me up to speed on that. :rolleyes:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Transcend said:
Oh, i see. So only racers break bolt heads off, grind bolt heads down, or otherwise full boltheads full of crap (wood, dirt, mud, rock chunks etc).

Gotcha, well I am glad you caught me up to speed on that. :rolleyes:
no, just saying alot of people dont have problems with the 6 bolts and it isnt a concern. You're the guys that gave the examples of situations where the big hurry causes mechanical mishap. Hell I'm not using using Torx but normal hex these days.

i'm not disagreeing that center lock isnt a better technology, but that isnt the whole picture that needs to be addressed.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Transcend said:
I have 3 hubs that have bolts firmly embedded in them. The heads all snapped off. :rolleyes: All were during removal of bolts that were not overtorqued and had a drop of blue loctite on them to prevent seizing.
Please send them to me :)

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
ska todd said:

-ska todd
Well I have never been riding and then had to catch a flight. But, even at my young age I know how to look at a clock and say to myself "hey, I need to get going". And I have one of those fancy sets of Torx keys that are all attached in one little brick. It's lime green so I don't lose it because I misplace everything. I know things don't always go by the plan. But every shop at every mountain will have a T25 key and so will other riders. I am not spouting off, I am speeking from experience. The main point is that 6bolt is the standard, It works fine, at this point centerlock really isn't as convient as 6bolt Torx.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, the hubs in question, oem's, had very poor thread tolerances, and every bolt was difficult to remove or install (new ones from Shimano). The hubs was replaced by the bike manufacturer at no charge to the shop.

If you think I fat fingered the torx wrench or didn't try using a blowtorch...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bballe336 said:
The main point is that 6bolt is the standard, It works fine, at this point centerlock really isn't as convient as 6bolt Torx.
By perchance, have you have removed a Centerlock rotor? It comes off with a Shimano cassette tool, which 99% of all mtn cassettes use, and it takes only about 3 rotations to remove.

On the other hand, 6 bolt requires 5-9 rototions each, loctite to prevent the bolts from rattling loose, and extreme care to prevent stripping.

Which is more convenient again?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
sanjuro said:
Which is more convenient again?
the convinience is in the availability of replacements, weither the store or the guy parked next to you.

This is kinda like Octalink vs ISIS; Octalink is a better interface IMO (no taper, more radial surface) but unfortunatly the compatibility and selection was limited.

So can we all get the point? Yes Centerlock is technically better for maintenance, but 6 bolt may be more practical in the other respects. This isnt difficult, its about what people value in the purchase. Geez lets go one about single pivots vs VPs instead....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just got the feeling that the people arguing for 6 bolt (bballe336), removed 3 rotors in their life and are now brake experts.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Most people would probably agree that Centerlock is a superior design and IF it would have come out at the same time as 6-bolt, it could very well be the 'standard' today. However, there is no 'standard,' there are options: 6 bolt or centerlock. The major hub manufactures out there have jumped on the bandwagon, so let's see where it goes.

Personally, i love centerlock! 2 minutes to change a rotor is brainless!! (and my SAINT setup comes with it) ...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
WheelieMan said:
The fact that it takes a half hour to swap 6 bolt rotors is reason enough to use centerlock.
I've sure never had that problem. 30 minutes to swap rotors??? :dead:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's the problem. Those wrenches blow, but for about $8 at your LBS you can pick up a real one. I got an Ultimate (I think) for around that price and it's way better than the dinky included ones.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Bicyclist said:
That's the problem. Those wrenches blow, but for about $8 at your LBS you can pick up a real one. I got an Ultimate (I think) for around that price and it's way better than the dinky included ones.
yeah a ratchet screwdriver with replacable bits is the perfect tool for that; you dont need a ton of torque for precision threads. Use the right tools and use them right.

edit: my Topeak Hummer has a T25 bit, I'm not sure if they have a casette tool in their pocket tool model line.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Aren't centerlock hubs and rotors way more expensive too?
The rotors are twice as much. I believe XT hubs are about $100. And DT 240s only cost $350 each.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
zedro said:
edit: my Topeak Hummer has a T25 bit, I'm not sure if they have a casette tool in their pocket tool model line.....

My park multitool (the blue one) has a t25 bit too, and I never used it, 'cause I just happen to have a set of torx heads in my tool box

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Transcend said:
Torx are from from standard in ANYONE's toolbox.
Hey after zedro quoted that I had to go back and look.

You really did say that.

Your toolbox sux.

So something like a cassette tool, chain whip, crank puller etc is standard but NOT something that helps you work on brake rotors?

Your toolbox sux.

I'll send you a torx wrench if you want. One comes with every set of brakes on the planet when you buy them.