Quantcast

Changing my major

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The majority of my classes were history classes, I was just listed as an Art Major. The college I went to you had to be there at least a year before you could change major.

What's ironic, despite sucking at art, I had the highest semester grade in my Two Dimensional Art Class.
Well was it your mistake or theirs? If it was theirs then they should have corrected their mistake.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Was theirs, didn't have to write the 300 page paper that was required to graduate with a degree in History do to the screw up. If they didn't screw up, I would have been a history major my freshman year instead of my sophmore year. The 300 page requirement came up to all new history majors starting in 2001/2002 year, without the screwup I would have been a new history major in 2000/2001 and would have been grandfathered in. Regardless I didn't have to do it.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I agree. I hated the first 2 calcs I got a B in calc 1 and ended up repeating calc 2. But for some strange reason I liked calc 3 "vector calculus" and ended up going for a math minor I took my last 2 classes with maple which i think helped alot. The visuals and programming added to the class which made it way more interesting and easier to absorb. Diff eq is a toss up! My teacher was russian and didnt give a F**k. Be sure to pay attention it will come up later in your vibrations class.
Ive been out for a year and havent done anything more than simple derivatives or integrals depending on what you do the odds are in your favor that you wont be doing to many l'hosipital rule conversions and laplace transforms.

Honestly though, I would ask yourself if youre willing to sacrifice more of your social life and enjoy statics and dynamics because thats about all it is junior year through the end.

What were you planning on doing with mech engineering degree and a poly sci minor if i may ask?
The poly sci minor is purely out of interest for the subject. I'm doing the mechanical engineering because I want to design target rifles and target pistols

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
The poly sci minor is purely out of interest for the subject. I'm doing the mechanical engineering because I want to design target rifles and target pistols
Sounds cool, one of the guys that was in my adams training class last month was building kinematic models of our new caseless ammo and SAW. Some pretty cool stuff. Just keep yourself motivated youll be fine.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Broken down, the hourly salary for i-banking is not very good. An acquaintance kept track of every hour he worked for Goldman, and his salary.

Sure, it's a huge sum to make straight out of school, but is it worth destroying yourself? My friends haven't been so sure afterwards.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Math classes aren't all that interesting but important to the engineering field. It is like putting in time on a stationary trainer so you can be a stronger rider, not fun but important.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Math classes aren't all that interesting but important to the engineering field. It is like putting in time on a stationary trainer so you can be a stronger rider, not fun but important.
That's a good way to say it.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
It'll come back, always does, and hopefully right about the time I'm graduating. :weee:
Uh...Hate to break it to you, but it will never come back the way it has in the past.

Our ENTIRE economy is based on the fact that we have had an overly abundant source of cheap energy and that party is about to end in the next 5 years.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I didn't read this thread, so apologies if this has been covered.

I ended up getting a BA from Cal, when I likely should have done engineering. Because of that choice, I have experienced the following problems when getting jobs:
1. Everyone else trying to get that sales job also has a BA.
2. You can not go into technical sales without a background in engineering/computer science (at least Bay Area).
3. When you are going up against an engineer in the financial word, even when you are more qualified in reality and experience, most firms will take the engineer because of the proven mathematics background.
4. If you want to leave sales, as an engineer, you have a techincal skill that is a VERY strong fallback. BA in [insert non-technical major] is based on reading and theoreticals. Not a strong position.
5. Money: If you are VERY good at sales, your lifetime earnings will kill it over an engineer. But you will be working 60+ hour weeks.
5b. Most engineers I know are working set 9-5 schedules and up until this year (5yrs out of college) were making substantially more than me.
6. Job security: You technical knowledge gives you more sticking power than the guy who is charismatic (see liberal arts major).

Unless you want to be a politician or a lawyer, get a technical/engineering degree. Personality and intelligence shine through when interviewing for a non-technical job. Having a technical base to fall back on is good planning.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Diff eq is a toss up! My teacher was russian and didnt give a F**k. Be sure to pay attention it will come up later in your vibrations class.
this.
ridiculous said:
Ive been out for a year and havent done anything more than simple derivatives or integrals depending on what you do the odds are in your favor that you wont be doing to many l'hosipital rule conversions and laplace transforms.
and this.
it's all about discipline & problem solving, even if you're "bored with math"
How about interpretive dance as a major?
only if he brings his own pole
I didn't read this thread, so apologies if this has been covered.

I ended up getting a BA from Cal, when I likely should have done engineering. Because of that choice, I have experienced the following problems when getting jobs:
1. Everyone else trying to get that sales job also has a BA.
2. You can not go into technical sales without a background in engineering/computer science (at least Bay Area).
3. When you are going up against an engineer in the financial word, even when you are more qualified in reality and experience, most firms will take the engineer because of the proven mathematics background.
4. If you want to leave sales, as an engineer, you have a techincal skill that is a VERY strong fallback. BA in [insert non-technical major] is based on reading and theoreticals. Not a strong position.
5. Money: If you are VERY good at sales, your lifetime earnings will kill it over an engineer. But you will be working 60+ hour weeks.
5b. Most engineers I know are working set 9-5 schedules and up until this year (5yrs out of college) were making substantially more than me.
6. Job security: You technical knowledge gives you more sticking power than the guy who is charismatic (see liberal arts major).
montashu, i really hope for the sake of your very tightly woven sphere of influence you're taking these posts to heart. who knows, maybe one day you'll be punished with a baby.

don't be young & cocky; just be young: use the fact you have no significant life commitments & knuckle down, son.