Quantcast

Check out the new travis, it's replacing the dorado

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Transcend said:
ya, well that will cause all sorts of issues mate. Easiest way - get the proper spring weight..as soft and you can get away with with 2-3 preload biscuits.

Then give it a bit of compression damping, and a bit of rebound damping. You should be good to go from there. Just use the proper oil weight and recommended levels (i used 2.5wt rebound, 7.5wt compression)

It isn't a relatively hard thing to do, and if you maintain it (IE: wipe it down and change oil periodically) it will perform flawlessly. People who have exploding boxxers ona regular basis do not take care of them properly.

edit: I taype gud
I found with heavy springs it would be sagging correctly but stiffish and had balistic rebound......the adjustment knobs didnt do much. So then i had to expirement with different oil weights and volumes........and when i got the travel working properly on the DH trail, it still felt very stiff on the flatter stuff or in the static position....

I just went back to the Shiver.......changing oil in that is like pouring a beer.....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Disclaimer... I am sponsored by Manitou. Yet I had a Slider+ before I sought sponsorship from them and I'm still riding the same Slider+ I had before I was sponsored by them.

I rode a Shiver before the Slider so my comparison is from two ends of the spectrum. But as a racer I really really like the Slider. Its light, low, and provides ample suspension quality. I run mine with very little SPV pressure and a quite small SPV volume. But time and time again I'm impressed with how well that little fork works. Its way better at soaking up super noise heavy drops than the Shiver at it tracks incrediably well. My only small complaints are the lack of oil lubricated seals and high speed compression.

I'm interested in trying the new Travis (not sure about the name selection :rolleyes: ).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Cant Climb said:
I found with heavy springs it would be sagging correctly but stiffish and had balistic rebound......the adjustment knobs didnt do much. So then i had to expirement with different oil weights and volumes........and when i got the travel working properly on the DH trail, it still felt very stiff on the flatter stuff or in the static position....

I just went back to the Shiver.......changing oil in that is like pouring a beer.....
With a boxxer it seems to work best to underweight the spring, and use 2-3 preload biscuits to try and get sag right. This worked really well for me running 2 x soft springs.

edit: do not post before coffee

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
I would never ride a fork named Travis.

Now a fork named Ricky, or Mike, or Bobby, or Bubba, or Smith, or Charles, or Howard, or Thomas, or Juan Carlos DeLeon, or Javier, or Didier, or Jasper, or Jonny, or Tony - those are forks I'd ride in one second.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
No wonder the top ranked US rider in last weekends WC was only 49th, you spend so much time crying and whinging about "the small bump sensitivity of stuff or its flexiness or lack of", jesus It doesn't ****ing matter EVER, and don't give me this If i'm gonna spend $1500 on some forks I want them to have the best name ever. Get over it and the pointless obsession with these issues and then maybe you might actually have time to learn how to pin it. Do you really need to nit pick and whinge about forks ever chance you get on this forum, and I don't mean it's ever RM user but god there is some people on here who should get over there said sudo-engineering E-biking arses and just go learn gow to ride. Boxxers are great......no there ****.........who gives a ****, set them up so they dont spit you off the bike and then go ripping, Every major DH fork out there has the ability to offer tons of grip and at the end of the day thats all you need...GRIP!

And don't worry I am prepared to be flamed real hard, I actually am gonna enjoy the flamage. God just get out and ride and then maybe you night have a few more EC's, Milan's and Housmans etc.....

(Sorry to Transcend who actually seems to have added something to this post, but I think hes a Canadian)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well Akula I suspect there are people on this board who have more opinions about forks and frames than they have actual ride time on dh bikes on actual dh tracks. This could lead to what you find to be irrelevant dicussions - just pure speculation.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bahahahahaha! Nice one Akula! Turn on your computer, come to RM, read the thread, then sit there (still at your computer) and tell people to go ride their bikes. Brilliant.

There is some truth to the fact that a lot of what we're talking about doesn't have a huge impact out on the trail. Most of us have pretty good stuff and it's just a difference of degree - we know that. But we also like talking about bikes and technology. So if you don't like it, leave. It's really that simple. No need to get your panties in a wad.

And personally I haven't heard enough from you to care about your opinion anyway.

:stosh:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Akula_7 said:
No wonder the top ranked US rider in last weekends WC was only 49th, you spend so much time crying and whinging about "the small bump sensitivity of stuff or its flexiness or lack of", jesus It doesn't ****ing matter EVER, and don't give me this If i'm gonna spend $1500 on some forks I want them to have the best name ever. Get over it and the pointless obsession with these issues and then maybe you might actually have time to learn how to pin it. Do you really need to nit pick and whinge about forks ever chance you get on this forum, and I don't mean it's ever RM user but god there is some people on here who should get over there said sudo-engineering E-biking arses and just go learn gow to ride. Boxxers are great......no there ****.........who gives a ****, set them up so they dont spit you off the bike and then go ripping, Every major DH fork out there has the ability to offer tons of grip and at the end of the day thats all you need...GRIP!

And don't worry I am prepared to be flamed real hard, I actually am gonna enjoy the flamage. God just get out and ride and then maybe you night have a few more EC's, Milan's and Housmans etc.....

(Sorry to Transcend who actually seems to have added something to this post, but I think hes a Canadian)

I agree at all the top end forks set up right are probably equal, they all have there weaknesses and strength. I think it's a matter of picking the fork that fits what ya want.

Although you do need more than grip, you can have all the grip ya need in the corners, but it's not going to do a bit of good if it passes to much force to your arms.

Also will we're not burning up the WC circuit at the moment, 49th was top cause none of the good US riders where there, and some of them won't be all season from what i've been told. EC isen't even going to bother going over to Europe more than likely after his ankle is healed.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If they just change the name to something different than "travis" I think it would help in the marketing of their products. I didn't even know what it was because "travis" isn't what you would think a company would name their forks.

I currently ride Shivers on all my rides.....so my idea's here might be off or on but I'd figure I'd chime in.

The fork looks fine. Looks just like a 888 from the outside. Manitou might have decided that Zocchi has a huge number of riders on their forks (and boxxer's as well) that they need to do the oil bath deal without the grease ports and such. It's about time they do this. The Dorado was a sick fork but there seemed to be some maintence issues that other forks didn't have. Plus ease of taking it apart to service and such plays a big role. Boxxer's and most Zocchi forks are almost stupid simple to take apart where forks with all this SPV and Evolve valving and air pressure contraptions and such could possibly make it harder. If Manitou fixes the faults with their forks it could easily contend with the other big DH forks out there.

It's just a hard catch. Now the rave is the Fox 40 forks. Last year it was the 888, and somewhere in between it was the 8" boxxer's and Shermans. You see what I'm saying here? People will get it because it's the newest thing out but time will tell if it's really a great performing fork. Most of the other forks are battle proven so it will have it's chance.

I personally find it hard to sell my fork for $300-500 possibly (02 shiver DC) to then spend another $600+ to get a new fork that may not be any better than what I have.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Spunger said:
Boxxer's and most Zocchi forks are almost stupid simple to take apart where forks with all this SPV and Evolve valving and air pressure contraptions and such could possibly make it harder.
I've owned a Shiver and a Slider+. The Sherman's are pretty darn easy to service

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Spunger said:
People will get it because it's the newest thing out but time will tell if it's really a great performing fork.
That's all you needed to say. It's still fun to talk about new stuff.

And yeah Travis is kind of weird. Must be someone's kid or something. Whatever, they can call it Tinkerbell for all I care.

Sep 29, 2004
Downhiller said:
if thats a joke.... thats an expensive joke........ but it better be a joke

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
Sir Happypants said:
if thats a joke.... thats an expensive joke........ but it better be a joke
all he did was take off the upper crown, and slide the lower crown to the top... that loser

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
dirtjumpP.1 said:
all he did was take off the upper crown, and slide the lower crown to the top... that loser
You asshole... :rolleyes:

The Travis could be nice if it does not have to be serviced every other ride.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Spunger said:
If they just change the name to something different than "travis" I think it would help in the marketing of their products. I didn't even know what it was because "travis" isn't what you would think a company would name their forks.

I currently ride Shivers on all my rides.....so my idea's here might be off or on but I'd figure I'd chime in.

The fork looks fine. Looks just like a 888 from the outside. Manitou might have decided that Zocchi has a huge number of riders on their forks (and boxxer's as well) that they need to do the oil bath deal without the grease ports and such. It's about time they do this. The Dorado was a sick fork but there seemed to be some maintence issues that other forks didn't have. Plus ease of taking it apart to service and such plays a big role. Boxxer's and most Zocchi forks are almost stupid simple to take apart where forks with all this SPV and Evolve valving and air pressure contraptions and such could possibly make it harder. If Manitou fixes the faults with their forks it could easily contend with the other big DH forks out there.

It's just a hard catch. Now the rave is the Fox 40 forks. Last year it was the 888, and somewhere in between it was the 8" boxxer's and Shermans. You see what I'm saying here? People will get it because it's the newest thing out but time will tell if it's really a great performing fork. Most of the other forks are battle proven so it will have it's chance.

I personally find it hard to sell my fork for $300-500 possibly (02 shiver DC) to then spend another $600+ to get a new fork that may not be any better than what I have.
well thanks for um 'chiming in' but your e-speculation is kinda off-base. yet since your off-baseness represents common speculation, i figure i should address it with some facts.

first off the grease-port reference shows you are way way out of date on manitous. minutes, sherman series etc. are all using the sloshy-oil system. i was dubious about it at first, but i do like the idea of having separate, very clean oil in the damping chamber that is just the right viscosity---and having heavy lubricating oil elsewhere in the fork (I use 20W50 synthetic motor oil from the auto part store).

secondly the manitous are all serviceable at home. pretty straightforward to take 'em completely apart. the TPC+ style from 3 years ago was damn easy, and the SPV Evolve is just as easy to dissassemble (there is more to the damping unit, but it's still easy).

older manitous had sucky seals. but the evil genius seals work fine. i've had my sherman for nearly 3 years and within the first day of riding the bushings broke in nicely, things are butter smooth with zero slop and remain so after many days of abuse at mammoth, N*, etc.

i've been riding marzocchi forks for too many years to count and i was prejudiced against manitous, i admit, but then i got the sherman and it changed my mind.

there is a relatively small amount of oil at the bottom of a sherman, but if the bike gets horizontal occasionally it all seems to flow around and coat the bushings well enough. there are some channels in there that supposedly channel oil up and around; every time I take apart the fork (which isn't very often--every 3 mos. of riding) everything inside is all nice and coated w/ the 20W50 oil.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Jeremy R said:
No doubt. I stay out of fork threads now.
I am not interested in anything else.
Its stiff, light, tracks better than any of the USD forks I had before.
And the 05 is pretty much a set it and forget it fork.
Yeah I can't see myself running any other fork. I have 1400 miles on mine and it still works as good as the day I got it.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
manitou sucks, instead of coming out with a new DH fork every 6 months that doesn't work, they should concentrate on making a solid product that will make everyone happy.

The travis looks like a response to the 888. modern DH forks are all copies of each other these days.

Mar 22, 2005
OMG...that thing looks retarded! It looks like those cheap kingpins they make. NO WAY THAT WILL OUTPERFORM ANY FORK, LET ALONE A DORADO!

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
well dorados were great forks. i dont know why people complained about them. maybe its just because the only dorados ive touched are orvens. i just think all the manitou dc forks other than the dorado look cheap. but the one sherman ive ridden felt like butter. if this fork feels as good as a dorado or sherman ill buy one once my shivers done