Quantcast

Chelan new course? Whats the scoop?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Anyone know if its an "all new" course, or just a few new lines? I heard different things at winthrop for varrious people. Was wondering if anyone knew better details......

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by oly
Anyone know if its an "all new" course, or just a few new lines? I heard different things at winthrop for varrious people. Was wondering if anyone knew better details......
Wendy told me in person that the course would be the same as last year but that it was in bad shape and they would be doing alot of work on it. However, she may have no idea what she is talking about.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by buildyourown
Wendy told me in person that the course would be the same as last year but that it was in bad shape and they would be doing alot of work on it. However, she may have no idea what she is talking about.
Yea, i sorta heard differnet things from different WIM people.

DrewS

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Bellingham, WA
Maybe you shoulda asked those old lady volunteers at the registration desk. They were really well informed:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

My mom was helping with registration too...she was just a volunteer, it's not like she would know what goes on with the trails

i don't understand why people complain about roundandround yet they still pay to race...i think roundandround does a great job with such a small staff and so few volunteers

anyways, chelan...at the end of the winthrop awards, they announced that changes would be made to the race course...i guess we'll see what they changed when we practice

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I didn't mean to bash anybodies mom. I was standing there when a first time racer was asking questions and I ended up answering them all. The volunteers were very friendly and shouldn't be expected to know all the details. Last year however, I asked a WIM employee who was working the reg desk about the course. 30 min of hiking later.....

I didn't mean to bash anybodies mom. I was standing there when a first time racer was asking questions and I ended up answering them all. The volunteers were very friendly and shouldn't be expected to know all the details. Last year however, I asked a WIM employee who was working the reg desk about the course. 30 min of hiking later.....

hehehe busted!!:p :D

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by DrewS

i don't understand why people complain about roundandround yet they still pay to race...i think roundandround does a great job with such a small staff and so few volunteers
People complain to complain.

I think WIM did a great job at the winthrop race. My only complaint was the hill of death. It was a bear being ill and having to lug my arse up that.

Im looking forward to Chelan for sure!

DrewS

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Bellingham, WA
:Ddon't worry about it...i understand where you're coming from. it would be nice if they briefed all of their volunteers and employees before the races in case any of the particpants have questions about shuttling and so forth

Originally posted by oly

I think WIM did a great job at the winthrop race. My only complaint was the hill of death. It was a bear being ill and having to lug my arse up that.
Wendy said she hates Winthrop too. They race where they can, it's not always the best layout. I was under the impression WIM would not be back to Winthrop, we'll see next year.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by PsychO!1
Wendy said she hates Winthrop too. They race where they can, it's not always the best layout. I was under the impression WIM would not be back to Winthrop, we'll see next year.
Since we are off topic here.....

Are there any other places they could hold a race? are there other places theyve long since abandoned? Anything closer? We know they wont go back to PA, but do any of the "secret" dh areas have any potential? Would WIM have any ability to stoke the fires at the pass? C'mon 300 people show to spokane. Imagine if they could draw that to a lift accesses location.....

Or, maybe they should just hold them all at spokane. By the look of it there is plenty of trail there to mix things up and can always have 2 run format races.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by oly
Since we are off topic here.....

Are there any other places they could hold a race? are there other places theyve long since abandoned? Anything closer? We know they wont go back to PA, but do any of the "secret" dh areas have any potential? Would WIM have any ability to stoke the fires at the pass? C'mon 300 people show to spokane. Imagine if they could draw that to a lift accesses location.....

Or, maybe they should just hold them all at spokane. By the look of it there is plenty of trail there to mix things up and can always have 2 run format races.
Sara mentioned to Kevin this was the last year that they would be able to race at Beacon.

Monty would be good, and the local DNR in cool with building new trails.

I think with the secret trails you mainly run into a parking problem. That one Sunday we were all up at 38 there was about 20 cars and it was too many.

I would think that WIM would feel the effect of the gas prices, meaning some riders might not want to travel 100+ miles to race.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
As for land access... the WWU Cycling Team has experienced the difficulties first hand and I see what the problem is. The DNR is not really willing to work with ANYONE. We have a state university backing us, insurance, planning on providing trash clean ups, donation of signage, etc in addition to using already developed trails if necessary. And the outcome... no go:( we are still working on this but it appears as though our event got shot down:(

so unless you find a private land owner (which good luck) chances are pretty slim.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I like that D. They should change it from the "trees of death" to the "hike of death" LOL
What about Mt. Spokane. They had a race there a few years ago and the course sucked but it had tons of potential, and a lift.
I'm suprised the couldn't talk Snoqualmie or Crystal into opening for just a race. Maybe we should look at it from a different angle. Instead of looking for other raceable DH trails, we should be looking for venues were we could build a trail. Private landowners would be the best if it weren't for stupid liability issues. Just a thought.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm suprised the couldn't talk Snoqualmie or Crystal into opening for just a race. Maybe we should look at it from a different angle. Instead of looking for other raceable DH trails, we should be looking for venues were we could build a trail. Private landowners would be the best if it weren't for stupid liability issues. Just a thought.
Gino and The Pass had a falling out years ago....when the Nationals were held up there.

Green Crow (PA) seems open to having events, and we had good luck with Stimpon out in Shelton. They are both kinda out of the way, but you do what you have to.

Round and round has worked with, and raced at Mt Spokane, Snoqualmie, Crystal Mt. (all lift accesible), and Lookout Pass (awesome course!). I believe the issue with the lift accesible venues is cost of running the lifts.

Lookout pass had/has a lift, but it was never running in the summer.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
So if rumors are true.... No withrop....no spokane....... Hm, there go 3 places to race..... Looks like whistler should get some more buisness next year.

Seriously though, it would suck if those spokane trails were not able to be used again. I know this topic seems to surface with no real solution every few months. What can be done? Who knows, i sure dont have the time/$$ to really be of any help. Alot of people will just start to get the f'k it mentality and ride whistler. A local race series would be cool, but there never was a good turn out. Ideally the Pass should open up, but that dead horse was eaten by the maggots long ago.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Yeah, I heard they a falling out with Crystal and Mt Spokane too.

Why can't Gino get along with the lift accesible venues?? He does seem to be on good terms with the Schwietzer people.
Cuz in idaho they dont mind you walking around with a loaded weapon on your side.......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Round and round has worked with, and raced at Mt Spokane, Snoqualmie, Crystal Mt. (all lift accesible), and Lookout Pass (awesome course!). I believe the issue with the lift accesible venues is cost of running the lifts.

Lookout pass had/has a lift, but it was never running in the summer.
Most ski resorts have access roads up the middles of them....... so maybe use the resorts land, and forget about lift access.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yeah, I heard they a falling out with Crystal and Mt Spokane too.

Why can't Gino get along with the lift accesible venues?? He does seem to be on good terms with the Schwietzer people.
Maybe they got smart and started letting someone else do the PR for WIM ;)

I'm all for a local race series to open up again.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by oly
Cuz in idaho they dont mind you walking around with a loaded weapon on your side.......
lol....nice
I believe Snoq, Mission and Schietzer are all owned by Harbour. It must be something to with individual managment and not company policy.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!

:thumb: I'd be willing to work/help on that, if you know someone willing to do it ;)
We have been thinking about it. It was a good time. Everyone was nice and helped were they could, but we won't make the final call until the end of this summer.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I think a local spring/fall race series would be rocking. ;) that way we dont drive too far, and have the summers to goto Whistler and do other Summer things.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If the rumors are true about the venues dwindling away then a local series could do well. Once again, only in the spring and fall when you don't have to compete against Whistler. I will be willing to help do trail work or whatever. *sigh* remember the good ol' days of CPR. That summer was packed full of races.

Originally posted by Snacks
We have been thinking about it. It was a good time. Everyone was nice and helped were they could, but we won't make the final call until the end of this summer.
I know we've talked about it before, but i would like to sit down for beer with you and kevin sometime. talk about race promotion. I have some ideas from my promoting experiences, maybe they can help with turn out.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I know we've talked about it before, but i would like to sit down for beer with you and kevin sometime. talk about race promotion. I have some ideas from my promoting experiences, maybe they can help with turn out.
Free beer and strippers? Way to go......

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
It'd have to be a Shirley Temple, we both don't drink ;) We'll know more later in August when or if we start sending out sponsership letters.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by Snacks
It'd have to be a Shirley Temple, we both don't drink ;) We'll know more later in August when or if we start sending out sponsership letters.
Well if you guys do move forward on a series again, you know youll have some help along the way. I was able yo help in trail work in the past and would give some time to do more........

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Mike Lawerence (sp) was telling me at Spokane that they have permission to use the upper road for shuttling, but they are going to use the same course - we'll be able to ride down to the start line???? I was like, why don't we start higher? Didn't get too far with that conversation.
If anyone is in the know, they have been saying new course in Chelan for the past few years, can we build something totaly different on the same hill side?

And I thought last fall the locals in Winthrop were talking about the new things they were going to do to the course? From what I hear, they didn't even clean it up???

crash13

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Lake Stevens, WA
back to the topic, i heard them announce at winthrop that the chelan course was going to be a new course with about a 5 minute shuttle compared to the half hour shuttle ride that they had last year.

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
Originally posted by trailhacker
And I thought last fall the locals in Winthrop were talking about the new things they were going to do to the course? From what I hear, they didn't even clean it up???
The "locals in Winthrop" you are referring to are me. I don't own a DH bike anymore and haven't in over a year. The only other DHer in the valley has quit racing also. I did walk the course a couple weeks before the race and let R&R know what the condition of it was and I disagree with the assessment that the course was in bad shape. I do maintenance on the course from time to time because I like the sport and like having a trail like that in the area for those so inclined to ride it. With that said, I resent the implication that I owe you or the racing community my time to maintain their race course. The way I see it, the racers use it, the racers should maintain it!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by speedbump
The "locals in Winthrop" you are referring to are me. I don't own a DH bike anymore and haven't in over a year. The only other DHer in the valley has quit racing also. I did walk the course a couple weeks before the race and let R&R know what the condition of it was and I disagree with the assessment that the course was in bad shape. I do maintenance on the course from time to time because I like the sport and like having a trail like that in the area for those so inclined to ride it. With that said, I resent the implication that I owe you or the racing community my time to maintain their race course. The way I see it, the racers use it, the racers should maintain it!
Not to sound like a jerk, but if the town of Winthrop wants a bunch of mountain bikers to decend on there town and spend money (I'm not sure if you do or not), then the town needs to make itself attractive. One way to do that is to have a killer course. If that course were notoriously good (like beacon), it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 300 people to show. The rumor now is that WIM won't return to Wintrop. Just my $.02