Quantcast

Children..

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
She's 27, you called her 26 and she got mad?

My wife spent her whole 37th year thinking she was 36 and was PISSED when I pointed out her failed math abilities.
Yeah, but that's cuz you did the "she's dumb dance", pointed and laughed.

That'll never end well.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Just was thinking...

By June the offspring of my band will outnumber the members of the band.

I have on on the way in April (my 2nd), our guitar player has one coming in June. (his 3rd - his oldest is 21)

He also has a step daughter.

And our other guitarist has 2 kids.

8 children over the span of 21 years. When we are too old to lift amps we will have an army or roadies.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If you're thinking that life ends when you have a kid "you're doing it wrong." Sure your priorities shift and you can't go out for adult time at the drop of a hat but it's not the end of the world. You just gotta plan ahead a bit more is all. I ride as much if not a bit more than before kid etc.

splat

Nam I am
Well I got married at 29 , Had our first one at 31 Wife really Wanted kids I was "meh" wanted them 2 years apart ,and they are 25 months apart. good spacing .

I Love my Kids dearly and wouldn't change it for the world.

But shortly after having my 2nd one My father got sick , really sick , and would hang on for 3 1/2 years before his time ran out . during those 3 1/2 years , and being there for my Mother when she really needed some one , really hammered home Why We have kids .

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
stay home? wtf?
You've never heard of a front pack? a pulk? (not you, ss) trailers? tag team parenting?
QUOTE]

Seriously, having a baby didn't make me stay home. I had my son out hiking with me in a Kelty pack by the time he was 6 months old--maybe earlier than that! Now, he's 8, and I'm teaching him how to mountain bike and xc ski! There's no "staying home!"

Admittedly, I wasn't sure I wanted kids because I think there are enough people in this world already, but my son was an unplanned pregnancy at the ripe old age of 22. His father and I divorced 7 months ago after almost 9 years of really trying to make it work, but we realized it just wasn't happening. All 3 of us are much happier now. I have full custody of my kiddo, but he still spends quite a bit of time with Dad, too. Even being a single mom now, hasn't held me back. I think I actually have more free time now than I did when I was married due to the visitation arrangements. But I also have a really strong support system from my family, which I know not all people have, so I'm very thankful for that.

Anyway, I'm just trying to point out that having kids does not mean you need to put your life on hold. You just need to learn how to involve your kids in what you do! That way they'll grow up loving what you love (hopefully)!

splat

Nam I am
Seriously, having a baby didn't make me stay home. I had my son out hiking with me in a Kelty pack by the time he was 6 months old--maybe earlier than that! Now, he's 8, and I'm teaching him how to mountain bike and xc ski! There's no "staying home!"
I mean Just look at my Kids , for the last 5 years we have gone to pedrosfest as a afamily , they can't wait to go . MY 10 year old Son , went to Monkeyfest last year ! Had a great time!! Nothing more fun then riding with your Kid!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
But what if my kid only wants to play video games all day. You can't force them to like the things you do. For instance, I don't think any amount of coaxing by my dad would have made me put down my skateboard to go fishing. Or what if my kid was mentally disabled and required round the clock assistance for the rest of his life. I couldn't imagine how terrible of a life that would be. And some those killers, pedophiles, and rapists could have had great parents. How do you think they feel about their decision? There are more ways for things to go terribly wrong to risk it. If I (we) felt like there was this huge void that needed filled then maybe. But there isn't, we are very happy with how our lives are now. Why risk it?
No one asked you to risk it. If you dont want kids, dont have kids.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
But what if my kid only wants to play video games all day. You can't force them to like the things you do.

No, but as a parent you can do things like UNPLUG the dam thing. What A concept. Or, you can make them earn their video time. Or.... There's tons of ways to keep control over situations like this.

I was fairly evil and would not buy gaming stuff for my kids when they were little. They finally pooled enough allowance money to buy some sort of antique Nintendo at a garage sale. Things changed a little as teens I will confess, especially with one of them a total geek and computer science major...

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Pretty soon I will be able to use him. I will have a lawn to mow, and a stone patio that needs to be built.

LOL, that's what I thought too and my HS senior is working his ass off at school and has no time for things like mowing the lawn. I shouldn't complain, he's pulling a 4.0 with a full AP/Honors load, and has so far earned himself a huge pile of scholarship money.

I have a half acre to mow so this really does suck, you know.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Love my boy and we're trying to have more. I don't think one can truly appreciate life without having kids...D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If you dont have any, why did you decide not too.
We don't have any because we have not found the right time to have them. We like them and will have one, but when we want to and when we're ready.

I don't think one can truly appreciate life without having kids...D
That's a pretty arrogant thing to say. Just because YOU didn't truly appreciate life till you had kids does not mean that others do not. You can't see into others souls, nor can you decide whether or not someone "appreciates" life.

I want to hear some people feedback about kids.

If you have any, why did you decide to have them.

If you dont have any, why did you decide not too.
I chose not - with an alcoholic and abusive father, I was worried about recreating the experience for a new generation. In retrospect, I gained free time and financial resources at the expense of the rewards and hassles that kids bring - I doubt that I would have been more or less successful as a father than anyone else.

Choose your path and walk it as best you can.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
That's a pretty arrogant thing to say. Just because YOU didn't truly appreciate life till you had kids does not mean that others do not. You can't see into others souls, nor can you decide whether or not someone "appreciates" life.
Read my post again..."I think"...It's just my opinion...no need to get so defensive:disgust1:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Yeah there is. It's right around the time you're REALLY committed to raising a child. Most people don't pick the right time. :disgust1:
ok, that is the right, right time. The more common get career to a certain spot, have a certain amount of $$, accomplish a certain amount things - you keep at it like that and next thing you know it's invitro time because all the eggs have died waiting.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I any more monkeys talks about not having children or children being a bad idea I will start spreading negative rep like Commando spreads bullets

:)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I any more monkeys talks about not having children or children being a bad idea I will start spreading negative rep like Commando spreads bullets

:)
Some people just don't like kids. And for some people kids are indeed a bad idea.

Personally I hope to have one and send it to boarding school for most of it's life. :) I just need someone to change my diapers when I am old and senile.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Took my 3 y/o for his first ski lesson this past Saturday.
It was raining when we got there, place was practically deserted (part of the reason I decided to go). Hour into the lesson, the sky really opened up and shortly after that, they shut the place down. By that point, he and his instructor (a teenaged girl) were the only people still on the mountain. Neither of them was the least bit interested in quitting, and I'll tell ya, it was frigging miserable out there. Only complaint he had was that he didn't want to come inside because he wasn't done skiing yet.
:clapping:

Kids can be pretty damn cool.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I've got two of the little monsters 7 and 5 just 2 years and 10 days apart. I got married at 29 and we had our first 2 years later. No more for me, at 3 they out number you and that's not good.

On the video game and tv thing. We took our kids to do outdoor stuff all the time and I think that made a difference. They did beg for a gameboy and they both have them. Funny thing is they probably play with them about 2 hours a year. They would rather ride their bikes, play in the mud or throw a ball around then be in the house watching tv.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Took my 3 y/o for his first ski lesson this past Saturday.
It was raining when we got there, place was practically deserted (part of the reason I decided to go). Hour into the lesson, the sky really opened up and shortly after that, they shut the place down. By that point, he and his instructor (a teenaged girl) were the only people still on the mountain. Neither of them was the least bit interested in quitting, and I'll tell ya, it was frigging miserable out there. Only complaint he had was that he didn't want to come inside because he wasn't done skiing yet.
:clapping:

Kids can be pretty damn cool.
You went skiing in the RAIN?!? :disgust1::disgust1::disgust1:

:(

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
You went skiing in the RAIN?!? :disgust1::disgust1::disgust1:

:(

Izzat bad? Never been one to let a little weather stop me from doing stuff. Ends up being a better time in a lotta cases cause all the...er...'less adventurous' people stay inside. We sure had a better time out there getting wet than we would've hanging around the house all day.

I did buy a PS3 the other day too. Ain't nothing wrong with chilling out and playing a few games now and then either. Balance, yo.