IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I can't even imagine what that would be like.
Hopefully they find a way to get them out of there faster than that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been kinda following it...

seems like they are being pretty well taken care of given the situation. They're getting music pumped down to them (ranchero and reggae style). They've gotten odds and ends, playing cards, letters from family, some bibles. I read somewhere they even got PSP's to help pass the time.

Today they received their first bits of solid food, with hot food to follow later this week. Also supposed to get improved bedding as well.

This is all on top of the necessities, like fresh air and clean water.

All this is being supplied through 3 holes that are about 4" each.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
They have about 2km of galleries to "spread out" in. They've been divided up into 3 teams, one to take care of the packages they get from the surface, one for taking care to ensure no more cave ins, and a thrid for medical issues. At first the news was they were confined to a 50m x 50m safe room, which would be a nightmare for 4 months. Nasa has been helping the Chilean govt with how to keep the miners busy using their experience with extreme isolation (space station).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i thought they still were confined to that space.
33 guys in a small apartment sized room would be a nightmare, especially with all the poop
thats the first thing i thought.
33 guys in a small emergency room.... jesus, the poop!

at least they have some "room" to stretch out...

somewhere i read, it was one of the guys first day at work...:shocked: could you imagine that?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
thats the first thing i thought.
33 guys in a small emergency room.... jesus, the poop!

at least they have some "room" to stretch out...

somewhere i read, it was one of the guys first day at work...:shocked: could you imagine that?
Nowhere to go but up I suppose!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Couldn't they remove some of the poop? Send down some ziplocs to at least seal it up or something? Send it back up one of those supply ...uh....paths.....I'm trying REALLY hard to word this correctly .... it's not easy.

"Shoving the poop back up the 4" hole"......

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
imagine as they were down there, rationing the food into tablespoons and stuff for weeks, wondering how long before they are saved, if ever....

how did they decide who was going to be eaten first, when food ran out?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Damn, thats fvcked up. Clearly there is too much government regulation in Chile or this wouldn't be happening.
No kidding. Wouldn't it be cheaper to let them die and pay the families compensation? What's a group of Chilean miners worth to a Harvard MBA? Less than the cost of one drill bit, I'm guessing.