Quantcast

choosing dh tyres

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i know these was million times before but i order from this site soon and i need to prepare for dh seasion so what do you suggest , i need tyres for all type of ground, i mean rocks, roots, and stuff like that..
i have maxxis minion 2,5 -maxxispro 50a now but if there si better bring it on..

2,5 is what i need so please choose from here and tell me which one..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=731

thx guys

ps. and yes i ride tyres with tubes i dont like tubless too much $ for all equip.

i ride armageddon if that is maybe important ?!?!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My choice in maxxis is the high roller or DHF/high roller compound in either 42a (for UST) or 3c for non UST. Even the 42c is less grippy then the miche compound, but the sidewalls prevent flats much better. The 3c compound seems to last much longer than pretty much any other race tire.

In Michelin, the comp 16 or comp 16/comp 24 combo. Amazing compound, great traction, easy tubeless setup but lousy flat protection.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i rock the 2.5 3c high roller front and back and have no complaint at all, fast rolling, the tread is lasting pretty long, and i havent gotten a flat yet even when running the babies at like 20 psi, as long as you baby powder the tubes like a mom with a baby:biggrin:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
4 years, loads of flats. 4 in a row at the mt ste anne world cup, 3 in a row at crankworx.
so you are actually tearing/cutting sidewalls??

I run 16/24 a lot with stans and have only had one flat episode(couple small leaks that the stans took care of). Unfortunately that episode killed both front and back tires with two inch long cuts. I hit a ten inch square block of granite at about 30 mph comming down the old fire road from garbanzo (the first year it was open to the public).

No tires would have survived that impact, but in general I have not noticed any quantifiable difference between Maxxis and Mich...nor noticed Mich lacking. Just wish they would add some new designs to the roster in the DH/FR, and 4 cross arenas...they have too many ill defined and overlapping XC type tires.....

maybe it is a French thing, but describing a tire as "it loves adrenaline" makes NO sense.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

I run 16/24 a lot with stans and have only had one flat episode(couple small leaks that the stans took care of). Unfortunately that episode killed both front and back tires with two inch long cuts. I hit a ten inch square block of granite at about 30 mph comming down the old fire road from garbanzo (the first year it was open to the public).

No tires would have survived that impact, but in general I have not noticed any quantifiable difference between Maxxis and Mich...nor noticed Mich lacking. Just wish they would add some new designs to the roster in the DH/FR, and 4 cross arenas...they have too many ill defined and overlapping XC type tires.....

maybe it is a French thing, but describing a tire as "it loves adrenaline" makes NO sense.....
Ya, I was actually putting holes/tears in the sidewalls. A few of the Ste Ane flats were my fault, i was pegging the exact same rock every run in practice in a corner. I change tires, add more pressure and go do the same thing again. I even tried a tube with the same results (no sidewall tear, but a flat nonetheless).

I am quite happy with the comp 16, but the sidewalls are noticeable weaker than say, a High Roller.

dh415

Chimp
Dec 6, 2006
novato
run a wtb timberwolf 2.5 team dh it hooks up the best every where but wheres down a lot quicker than other tires

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i think the maxxis high-rollers are an excellent all-around tire. If you can only afford one set, those are them, IMO. Choose your compound based on your terrain.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
Michelin has a 2.35 Mountain A/T tire. Anybody using this for DH?

It is litter than the Comp 32, but with different compound.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Michelin has a 2.35 Mountain A/T tire. Anybody using this for DH?

It is litter than the Comp 32, but with different compound.
You don't want to run that tire for DH. It is designed for All-Mountain, 4x, and DS riding. It is a single ply tire and you would most likely cut the side wall racing it DH.

My DH picks are Comp 16's and 24's. I run both 2.2" and 2.5" depending on the course. Never had a problem with cutting a side wall in the 8+ years I have been running them.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

That old fireroad takes out a lot of tires. I dont think I ever road down that section without seeing someone changing a flat on the side. Ive never flatted on the Garbonzo road with my Maxxis. Then again I run 30psi, THIN xc tubes, and lots of baby powder. I average one flat a year. I stopped to help 2 riders in that section last year and but had flatted Michy 2.8s.

A lot of my buddys ran Michys last year. This year they are all changing to Maxxis Highrollers or Minions.

One buddy flatted his Michy 2.8 with DH tubes all the time on easy slow rides. He went tubeless, now he just sprays everyone with Stans when he rides by. ;)

Another buddy ripped the entire sidewall in his Michy 2.8. It was a 4-5" tear. It was like the tire just came apart and we were riding XC at the time.

Im a Maxxis. I love the tread and looks of the Michys but they just dont last here. We have lots of sharp rocks here in Montana. The sidewalls on the Maxxis are just plain tough.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
That old fireroad takes out a lot of tires. I dont think I ever road down that section without seeing someone changing a flat on the side. Ive never flatted on the Garbonzo road with my Maxxis. Then again I run 30psi, THIN xc tubes, and lots of baby powder. I average one flat a year. I stopped to help 2 riders in that section last year and but had flatted Michy 2.8s.

A lot of my buddys ran Michys last year. This year they are all changing to Maxxis Highrollers or Minions.

One buddy flatted his Michy 2.8 with DH tubes all the time on easy slow rides. He went tubeless, now he just sprays everyone with Stans when he rides by. ;)

Another buddy ripped the entire sidewall in his Michy 2.8. It was a 4-5" tear. It was like the tire just came apart and we were riding XC at the time.

Im a Maxxis. I love the tread and looks of the Michys but they just dont last here. We have lots of sharp rocks here in Montana. The sidewalls on the Maxxis are just plain tough.
how are u people tearing these michi's, especially the 2.8's. i ran like 15 psi down some uber rocky tracks for months and never had any problems.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That garbonzo fireroad section caused me 3 three flats in two days and two sidewall tears. Kenda Nevegals have great traction and poor flat protection.

I'm currently running Hutchinson Barracudas, and its my first tubeless setup too. So far so good, I need to run more air to prevent "burping" in the corners though.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In the two seasons I ran Michelins I never had these crazy flatting problems that most people seem to be complaining about. i did punch some holes in them riding tubeless, but I really found I prefered the handling better with tubes anyway.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
how are u people tearing these michi's, especially the 2.8's. i ran like 15 psi down some uber rocky tracks for months and never had any problems.
Never said that happened on a 2.8, were talking the Comp 16 here. I have even seen it happen on the comp 24 but not that often.

But you are right about the Comp 32 2.8 I have never seen it happen with that tire.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Me to!!! Was running Maxxis High Rollars and went to a Michelin rear (Think Comp 16 2.
5) for a Whistler trip (Mechanics advice). It worked good the first day then $hit hit the fan. 3 flats on day two. Then the next day first run flat! I had enough and switched out to a friends Maxxis High Rollar and didn't get a flat for the rest of the 10 day trip.

I thought It was maybe just Whistler, so when I got home I put the tire back on for a local trail and sure enough. I was done with the trail riding thru a super mellow park and got another.

Not enought Baby powder I guess!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Never said that happened on a 2.8, were talking the Comp 16 here. I have even seen it happen on the comp 24 but not that often.

But you are right about the Comp 32 2.8 I have never seen it happen with that tire.
One of my front flats at ste anne was on a 2.8 was with an XC tube. Left hand turn into the woods after the berms and little launch ramp thing. It was not the greatest of weekends!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
One of my front flats at ste anne was on a 2.8 was with an XC tube. Left hand turn into the woods after the berms and little launch ramp thing. It was not the greatest of weekends!
How much PSI were you running? Most of all the problems I have ever seen running any tire is that the rider was running to little PSI.

Transcend, I am in no means trying to say you don't know what you are doing. I do know you know your stuff, just asking.

Best grip and performance out of the Michelins are to run about 26 to 29 PSI in them. They are designed around that PSI range. DH tires only.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
How much PSI were you running? Most of all the problems I have ever seen running any tire is that the rider was running to little PSI.

Transcend, I am in no means trying to say you don't know what you are doing. I do know you know your stuff, just asking.

Best grip and performance out of the Michelins are to run about 26 to 29 PSI in them. They are designed around that PSI range. DH tires only.

We even had some Michelin sponsored riders up here on the Quebec Cup circuit run them at 35 and 45 PSI and they still had problems.

Michelin really needs to beef up that COMP 16 and then it would be one amazing tire.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
We even had some Michelin sponsored riders up here on the Quebec Cup circuit run them at 35 and 45 PSI and they still had problems.

Michelin really needs to beef up that COMP 16 and then it would be one amazing tire.
Good "G" that is a lot of air. I could see any DH tire blowing out with 40+ PSI in it hitting rocks at 40+mph. That doesn't really give the tire much room to flex like it should.

Then again I am not a tire expert!!!!! I only know Michelins recommendations from running them and experimenting with them for so long.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Started at 27 (my "normal" front pressure) and went up to about 36 by the time I flatted that one. Everytime I had an issue, I upped the pressure. I figured I was just pegging stuff with too little pressure as well. Ricky, Heikki and Brian at the e.13 rig couldn't figure out what i was doing either. I even had Ricky check the pressure to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

That said, I have never had issues that bad any other place at any other time in 4 years, so who knows. The grip their compound offers is second to none, and the race suppot is fantastic. Mike is awesome. He also had no idea what I was doing when i kept coming over to tubes and with mangled tires.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
In the two seasons I ran Michelins I never had these crazy flatting problems that most people seem to be complaining about. i did punch some holes in them riding tubeless, but I really found I prefered the handling better with tubes anyway.
I've been running rear tubless (2.2 comp 24) and front tubed (comp 32). So far both have been flawless. Except rear starting burping a lot of air near the end, but i hadn't added stans in 5 months, and they were pretty adverse weather conditions.

I mean its of course hard to know if these tracks were has rough or hardcore per say as these tracks ure flatting on since I haven't ridden them. But the christchurch tracks were f-ing rocky thats for damn sure. Maybe just not real sharp rocks comparably.

Obviously in IL now you'd have to try to flat the michi's. trails here are more bmx-ish than anything.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Wow, interesting to hear all of this. As i said earlier, I run the Michies about 90% of the time and have had no issues at all in the last 4 or so years. I have not really run other tires enough (nor needed to) to know that something would be beefier..although the Kendas definately feel a little thinnner....the maxxis and Mich tires I have hanging here feel comparable in sidewall thickness... who knows.

That one double flat was a bit scary though..cinder block sized chunk of granite hidden in knee deep grass....@ 30mph..I thought I was going to DIE!!

That road was Scary back then..they did nothing to remove any of the hidden pot holes or rocks or the 3 ft tall grass down the center strip...lots of flats. It seems better now as it is an official 'trail' these days...back then it was just the only way down from an area that was not really open...