Quantcast

chris king joins the modern world

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have one in my toolbox that I would bring back from the dead if they'll sell retrofits to upgrade to the "new" system!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
meh, ive had no issues for 11 years with mine. ive had tons of issues with Hope's though. hopefully my new CC XXc will fix them
:popcorn:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wonder if the new assembly is retrofit-able to their old ones. I've got one or two I gave up on that could be much improved with the new split ring.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
So we're being encouraged to jump on the CK bandwagon just because they've finally gotten in step with the rest of the world . . . when there are so many just-as-good-but-less-expensive alternatives out there? Meh.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
So we're being encouraged to jump on the CK bandwagon just because they've finally gotten in step with the rest of the world . . . when there are so many just-as-good-but-less-expensive alternatives out there? Meh.
Well sure, but who else has Sotto Voce Colorways?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
What, and King is the first company that you can think of that does this? People are springing for Avy internals/ TLD Helmets/ $400 pedals/ XTR or XO stuff/ Nicolai frames/ blah blah blah...the list goes on of products that cost more but are arguably no better than cheaper competitors. At least with King its a small fraction of money over a competitor.

Fact is King headsets have EARNED the reputation they have by performance, not internet hype. This update is a good and overdue one, unlike so many posted "upgrades" that are mostly fluff.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
What, and King is the first company that you can think of that does this? People are springing for Avy internals/ TLD Helmets/ $400 pedals/ XTR or XO stuff/ Nicolai frames/ blah blah blah...the list goes on of products that cost more but are arguably no better than cheaper competitors. At least with King its a small fraction of money over a competitor.

Fact is King headsets have EARNED the reputation they have by performance, not internet hype. This update is a good and overdue one, unlike so many posted "upgrades" that are mostly fluff.
I have to agree with you, I used a king headset on my home made, chromoly bike with an un-faced headtube (didn't have a lathe yet). sporting a monster T for 5 years. I finally cracked the lower cup during a crash. CK makes good stuff, I have never used a headset for that long otherwise.
Mine never creaked, but I did see some others that did.
I'll buy another, without thinking twice.

I'm using an FSA at the moment but it weighs a ton. Seems to be holding up for now (2nd year)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

Only the unknowledgable would argue about some of the products you mentioned. A gain is a gain no matter how small(ie pedals, mechs). Quality might not always have a gain in performance, but may perform longer. I don't think Avalnache with at least longer service life was a worthy mention. I won't start a sh!t fight saying how superior the Avy cart will make a fork. The service life and durability is enough.
I'd buy a King again. I'm liking my Cane Creek Opiums at present though.

Last edited:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
"The threadless headset is U.S. Patent 5095770, which is owned by Cane Creek Cycling Components, and expires on September 29, 2010"

Source: http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/cane-creek-110-is-review/
That makes things clearer :thumb:. Let's examine another patents that are to be expired in the near future and let's tip who will come with what 'revolution' after that. Rohloff Speedhub vs. Shimano/Sram tandem are the my candidates.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just a comment: Nicolai offers 5 years warranty, no question asked, on their frames. Pretty unusual IMO. And they can build you all their models in custom sizes, not many big bike manufacturers can claim this.

True, they earned the reputation on road and hardtail bikes when the competition offered (nearly) unsealed headsets. But now we have 2010, long travel forks and everybody else's products evolved to the point that they are equal to King in terms of durability but perform without flaws with 8" forks.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Just a comment: Nicolai offers 5 years warranty, no question asked, on their frames. Pretty unusual IMO. And they can build you all their models in custom sizes, not many big bike manufacturers can claim this.
I think the main thing is that they actualy still work after 5 years. Easily some of the most well thought out stuff out there. And, no marketing hype around them at all. Just good designs, real engineering, and surreal craftsmanship.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Frankly, I like supporting a made-in-the-USA company with environmentally conscious manufacturing practices who encourage their employees to practice sustainable, healthy lifestyles. Plus they build their products and supply their warehouse to ensure that small parts are always available, order-able, and replaceable.

Of course, they have to make good products or I won't buy them - but I don't mind paying a small premium to support companies whose practices I approve of.

After reading this load of BS from King my hate for CK headsets has reached an all time high, and yes I'm a hater on this one. And no, I don't give a **** if you've been running one for a million years!

Only one of the many stupid things discussed was the example of the wear on the top cap. Wear that is only there due to the poxy design, not regular "wear and tear". When's the last time anyone running a split wedge had to replace the wedge!!

I agree finally they have a decent design in the split ring, it must have been a bitter pill to swallow for their arrogant asses to change their poxy design.

Finally they won't have to write or tell customers with HS issues that it's the installation of the headset, the facing, the allignment of the stars was incorrect, the gods were in a mood, etc.......

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cane Creek is Dia Compe. One and the same. Cane Creek was a branding that occured around the mid-90's to get away from the generic name and develop high end componentry, wheels, etc if I'm not wrong. I seem to remember lots of people thinking "Dia-Compe" was an Asian brand.

If memory serves me correct, the Dia-Compe segment direct supplies OEM componentry to bike manufacturers worldwide from their facilities in Asia and possibly Cane Creek is for the most part speced here and assembled here. By here, I mean Fletcher, NC right down the road from my house.

So what's the rule on a patent when it runs out? Does the owner just have to buy the rights all over or re-file for extending it? Or does the intellectual property just became open source?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Cane Creek is Dia Compe. One and the same. Cane Creek was a branding that occured around the mid-90's to get away from the generic name and develop high end componentry, wheels, etc if I'm not wrong. I seem to remember lots of people thinking "Dia-Compe" was an Asian brand.

So what's the rule on a patent when it runs out? Does the owner just have to buy the rights all over or re-file for extending it? Or does the intellectual property just became open source?

20 years ago, Dia Compe introduced the world to threadless headset technology. The intertwined history thread of the Aheadset, Dia Compe and Cane Creek are quite interesting. In the mid 70’s Dia Compe opened a facility in Fletcher, NC to supply brake parts to some bike manufacturers. Around 1990 Paul Turner had Dia Compe build and distribute the Rock Shox RS-1 fork. John Rader, the designer of the Aheadset system, gave exclusive licensing to Dia Compe for the product, which Chris King and Hatta started to build. Dia Compe USA becomes a separate entity from Dia Compe Japan, making their headquarters in Fletcher. After a few years, Rock Shox ended its relationship with Dia Compe, soon Dia Compe starts building Aheadsets themselves. In 1996 the Cane Creek brand name was introduced in addition to Dia Compe. Later in the early 2000’s Cane Creek became the wholly used name.

i dont believe they can file for a extension on the product after the original timeline runs out.
when my old company invented VHS, it was a free-for-all after our patent rights ran out.

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007

free for all, Now when are the angle sets hitting shelfs?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ This I know. We used Beta SP for many years in our field cams at work. (and our broadcast master control was finally able to retire 1" tape for DVC-Pro).

I was just referring to when Sony gave away VHS to JVC.

Sep 4, 2009
I have blown up 3 sets of Chris King head sets on the long travel bikes.They have all ways repaired them for me and told me to service them better next time. I have since switched to the Chinese pig set up with the upper wedge and have yet to have a problem. Its cool to see Chris King changed to a better design.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
^ amen... it just turns into one big bitchfest and things get changed. Owell I can't wait to buy a whole bunch of the older versions headsets which I prefer. It's funny too because the reality is the people that have "blown" kings up probably don't have properly reamed and faced headtubes, and assume that the reason is in the product. Solution prep your bike the right way when building it, and if the shop that you go to doesn't offer that service then they aren't a real shop anyways.