Quantcast

Chris King ordering

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ordered a set of pewter CK hubs from my LBS. It has been 2 months and they are telling me that CK is out of stock and will have them soon. Does this sound right? They cant give me a date. Is CK really this far behind on certain colors?

Anyone have a pic of the gold? Their website gold looks yellow. Is it a gold color or more of a yellow.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Gold is better than pewter, pewter gets too purple-ish for my taste.

I have the dark blue stuff on my hoo-ride

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Yip, CK only does colors a few times a year, Ive been waiting for green hubs since June.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
dlb said:
Yip, CK only does colors a few times a year, Ive been waiting for green hubs since June.
this is what i was told.

they take orders, then do the anodizing of shells accordingly, a few times a year. i waited 4 months for black SS hubs.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, the bike shop called today and said CK told them 6-8 more weeks on pewter. They have other colora instock.....

These wheels are going on my Red Foes Fly. I have the yellow Dee Maxx rims and silver spokes and nipples. What color hubs would look good? Any ideas?

Red, Gold, Pewter, Black, Silver??

HELP

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Can't go wrong with black (stealth bling) or silver (shiny bling).

If you want you'll have the hubs forever, so don't worry about matching them to your current frame or rims.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So the LBS calls me today and there is a 2 month wait on any color CK hubs. The only color they have in stock is red in both front and rear. I guess I wait or go Hadley. What a crock. I always thought CK was on the ball. Whats up?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
not with hubs. i think ordering and not waiting is less common than being in your situation. you can check online places, if you want.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kanter said:
So the LBS calls me today and there is a 2 month wait on any color CK hubs. The only color they have in stock is red in both front and rear. I guess I wait or go Hadley. What a crock. I always thought CK was on the ball. Whats up?
"What a crock"? CK is a tiny company, they can't possibly keep up with all of the orders of all of the colors, so they bank on the fact that anyone who wants to shell out $500 for a set of their hubs is going to be patient because the customer probably knows what they want if they're dropping that much coin on a botique bike part.

I'd be willing to bet that they're right in that theory most of the time.

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
CK has had problems with getting their anodizing done since they have moved. They do some colors in house but the other colors are done out of an outfit in socal. But I am told that shipping is too expensive to have them shipped there and back. CK has had problems finding another anodizing place in Oregon (because of there quality control) last I herd. Some parts distributors have also chosen to only have black in there 2005 catalogs due to this fact.

And as others have said I would stick with black because the hubs will probably outlast your current bike and black is so easy to match up with other colors<!>

Peace AD

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ill probably go with black or silver. I just thought the pewter would be different. I have had the hubs on order for over 2 months and they are telling me 2 more months. Four months is a long time to wait for hubs. The only problem I have found is no one has both hubs in the same color. CK has both in red. CK has black rear and QBP has black front. Maybe Ill just have the LBS order the hubs from 2 different places.

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
According to QBP website and they have “7 - King ISO Front Disc Hub32h Black” “5 - King ISO 20mm Front Disc Hub 32h Black” “10 - King ISO Rear Disc Hub 32h Black”. Take that for what its worth. :confused:

Peace
AD

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Not everyone gets EP.
:confused: I though EP stood for everybody's price?

Of course not, but people were mentioning that QBP and other places had them in stock so I figured if he had access to QBP then he had access to KING direct. Even if his shop orders them through QBP it will end up costing him more than if his shop gets them direct. Either way his cost will be higher and that's the point I was making :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:
:confused: I though EP stood for everybody's price?

Of course not, but people were mentioning that QBP and other places had them in stock so I figured if he had access to QBP then he had access to KING direct. Even if his shop orders them through QBP it will end up costing him more than if his shop gets them direct. Either way his cost will be higher and that's the point I was making :D
QBP may only carry a few colors, I don't think it will effect the price one way or the other. Its not like its a big difference in price from QBP to CK. Bottom line is he won't see the difference at the register.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
QBP may only carry a few colors, I don't think it will effect the price one way or the other. Its not like its a big difference in price from QBP to CK. Bottom line is he won't see the difference at the register.
I beg to differ...
You are correct about the colors, last I knew QBP only had black and maybe a few basic colors but their price is a lot higher than EP and still somewhat higher than KING direct. Enough to justify the shop passing it on. If I recall, QBP charges about 15-20% over KING direct pricing and 25-30% over EP. With KING stuff being so spendy to begin with every dollar saved helps!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:
I beg to differ...
You are correct about the colors, last I knew QBP only had black and maybe a few basic colors but their price is a lot higher than EP and still somewhat higher than KING direct. Enough to justify the shop passing it on. If I recall, QBP charges about 15-20% over KING direct pricing and 25-30% over EP. With KING stuff being so spendy to begin with every dollar saved helps!
Are you talking about employee purchase or MSRP?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Not every one can order at EP, and for your info LBS's can only order 1 or 2 pairs of hubs @ EP per year. So I don't know where you get your info from. Shops will get a discount on quanity of product purchased from a distributer or factory direct. But the price difference is fairly close to the same. Trust me I know what I'm talking about.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i do most of my ordering through Hammerhead bikes, whose "Full Catalog" is an online QBP catalog that's updated daily. same thing with Alfred E Bikes, and quite a few other online retailers.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
"According to QBP website and they have “7 - King ISO Front Disc Hub32h Black” “5 - King ISO 20mm Front Disc Hub 32h Black” “10 - King ISO Rear Disc Hub 32h Black”. Take that for what its worth"

dma528

They have the front I need in 36h black but not the rear. First off I need 36 hole NOT 32. Yes they have the 32 but no 36s. I guess they are out of 36s..... Anyone else have any ideas? Maybe I should just go with XTs everyone has them.;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Not every one can order at EP, and for your info LBS's can only order 1 or 2 pairs of hubs @ EP per year. So I don't know where you get your info from. Shops will get a discount on quanity of product purchased from a distributer or factory direct. But the price difference is fairly close to the same. Trust me I know what I'm talking about.
Brian, I have king hubs on my bike and I EP'd them and multiple headsets etc over the years. Shops can EP one set of hubs, and I believe two headsets per employee per year. Of course they can purchase whatever quantity of product for wholesale they like. I managed a shop in Santa Barbara that sold large qty's of KING and dealt with them fairly regularly as well as knowing plenty of people who worked for KING when they were still in SB. I also ordered from QBP bi-weekly and there prices are at least 10% more than KING's wholesale (not EP), which adds up to around $30 additional for a hubset to the consumer.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here but I too am fairly familiar with KING's pricing. :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:
Brian, I have king hubs on my bike and I EP'd them and multiple headsets etc over the years. Shops can EP one set of hubs, and I believe two headsets per employee per year. Of course they can purchase whatever quantity of product for wholesale they like. I managed a shop in Santa Barbara that sold large qty's of KING and dealt with them fairly regularly as well as knowing plenty of people who worked for KING when they were still in SB. I also ordered from QBP bi-weekly and there prices are at least 10% more than KING's wholesale (not EP), which adds up to around $30 additional for a hubset to the consumer.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here but I too am fairly familiar with KING's pricing. :)
You don't get it, shops are around to make $ and usally won't give much of a difference if it costs the shop $300 or $150, its all about making a profit. If someone is a REAL good customer they will probably give a bigger break on the price than someone off the street. Of course you'll get a better deal for yourself direct from any manufacture, and EP makes it even nicer, but for your avarage person looking to buy something most of the time they're not going to see that deal.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brian,
I do get the gist of what you are saying but I am assuming he (Kanter) has a normal relationship (non-hookup) with his LBS. You're argument is illogical, first you say that shops are here to make money and in the next sentence you say that they will give him a deal? If they gave him a deal they would lose money? My whole point is that if the shop were to apply an industry standard margin to the wholesale price, then a lower wholesale price equals a lower retail price. I am very familiar with the workings of bike shops, that's what you don't seem to get. That's all I am trying to convey.

I am really not trying to argue with you but I think we basically just need to agree to disagree on this one because this is getting silly, in about three more posts it will come to :nuts:

And that's no bueno :)

Brian HCM#1 said:
You don't get it, shops are around to make $ and usally won't give much of a difference if it costs the shop $300 or $150, its all about making a profit. If someone is a REAL good customer they will probably give a bigger break on the price than someone off the street. Of course you'll get a better deal for yourself direct from any manufacture, and EP makes it even nicer, but for your avarage person looking to buy something most of the time they're not going to see that deal.