Clemson ride pics+ video

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
pictures from todays weekly thursday ride

about a 7 ft drop with awesome downhill landing

me gapping the creek

mike playing around the practice fields.

mack!

me jumping at littlejohn

video of the creek gap
http://media.putfile.com/Creek-Gap--Jon

were planning on riding and filiming some on saturday. weve got about 7-8 people as of now but everyone is welcome.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Hey, how far off of I-85 is this place? Is ther anything else to ride?

How about that old DH and DS course we raced on 5-6 years ago, are they still around? That was my first DH race.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I'm going to be at Isaqueenia on Sunday, so where is this creek jump and drop at in location to the trails.

And Pete, do you know where the DH and DS course was at? I'll try and find it this Sunday.

Holla!!!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
the dh course has seen alot of work lately and is definetly ridable now. the drop at the end is quite the awesome. Someone is currently talking to the manager of the forest to get full permision to continue building back there.

issaqueena is about 15-20 min off i-85
clemson campus is about 10
exit 19B

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
BKQuill said:
I'm going to be at Isaqueenia on Sunday, so where is this creek jump and drop at in location to the trails.

And Pete, do you know where the DH and DS course was at? I'll try and find it this Sunday.

Holla!!!
I'd get lost if I tried to find it.

Give us the scoop if you find it.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
we are trying to revive the dh course, but its so over grown we cant find the other half of it. Anyone know where it goes after it crosses that gravel service road?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
wow we are so off course.

Where does the course start, how long is it and is it shuttlable?

We started at the top next to the Dual slalom course starting from that small fieldat the top from there we went right (towards the 2 lane road) its a winding single track that has lots of possibilities. (were going off tips from teh guys at sunshine bicycle that are matching somewhat what they say) but based on what you said we are extremely off course.

Are there any landmarks that you can remember, that we can look for and do you remember what the original course had on it?

thanks

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
wow we are so off course.

Where does the course start, how long is it and is it shuttlable?

We started at the top next to the Dual slalom course starting from that small fieldat the top from there we went right (towards the 2 lane road) its a winding single track that has lots of possibilities. (were going off tips from teh guys at sunshine bicycle that are matching somewhat what they say) but based on what you said we are extremely off course.

Are there any landmarks that you can remember, that we can look for and do you remember what the original course had on it?

thanks
The start is there. If you're at the start of the DS looking at the first double, the start of the DH should be directly behind you at about4-5oclock. It started in the woods there and aimed toward a flat old fireroad. There should be a few logs in the woods that were edge markers and a pile of about 10-12 rocks that we would gap over, then 3 or 4 different pines laying cross trail as "speed bumps." It then popped out onto the flat fire road and aimed back toward the main gravel road, but cut back in the woods along flat ground to your right. Then it dropped off a bank into a shaded section of woods at a level just below that of the main gravel road and went down through the center of that shallow bowl and intersected the main gravel road again.

Now: Cut and pasted the part above here because this is where the section I first described ties into the start to middle:

Middle of DH down to the bottomThere were 2 renditions of the DH course middle section at the gravel road. One hit a kicker onto the road, then went down the road maybe 50 feet and hopped up onto the bank on the right side and followed the road until the last right hander in the road. It popped out of the woods and went straight across the road there and across the spine of the last bank before the parking lot. It ran from right to left (looking DOWN the hill). It ran all the way over to the far side of the spine then dropped down the bank at the lowest part and s turned back to the parking lot down the bank.

Rendition # 2 came out onto the gravel road and went down the spine of the field to the left of the road and we had a step down jump right in the center of the field to left hander. It then hit the last spine above the parking area, veered left, then s turned right to the parking lot.

If you're looking up at building in the parking lot, the finish was to your FAR right of that building.

Damn...confusing huh..... Matt's call sign on here is SoEastMatt .

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Might take a few weeks. Matt is currently nursing a monster concussion, cracked rib and swollen jaw that had him spouting gibberish trailside according to Motomike and Mueller and eating soft chewy foods.
Butch I was behind Matt when he went down on Black Mnt. It was a nasty thud of a tree buster. He couldn't put together a sentence or make any sense. He got rocked but it was a good ride. Want to ride Lake L. soon?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Damn, I remember getting my Brother-In-Laws front -nd loader out there to build the DS course 5 or 6 years ago for the last race put on out there. Boy has that course stand the test of time. I have not been out that way in a long time, maybe sense the last DH and DS race we had there. I will have to try to make it out there in the next few weeks with the boys. Like what you have done so far.

Ran into Matt Griffin this past weekend at the US Cycling Race. Gave him a love tap in the ribs not knowing about his broken ribs. Damn I felt bad!!!! Sorry Matt!!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Butch I was behind Matt when he went down on Black Mnt. It was a nasty thud of a tree buster. He couldn't put together a sentence or make any sense. He got rocked but it was a good ride.
Yeah...don't know if you talked to him yet but he still doesn't know what happened. I'm not even sure if he knew why you weren't there and that Olivia was....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I still can't seem to find this "so-called DH trail".

Hey Ridiculous, when is the next time you guys are going to go up there?

-Brian
because it's old school DH...sprints, stumps, roots and stuff. It was fun on a hardtail on short travel bike...pure suck on a full squish.
Just ask Matt to show you one weekend once he remembers how to pedal...

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
because it's old school DH...sprints, stumps, roots and stuff. It was fun on a hardtail on short travel bike...pure suck on a full squish.
Just ask Matt to show you one weekend once he remembers how to pedal...

So use the ID-5 kind of ride?

I need to drop Matt an E-mail, I take it he banged himself up pretty good?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
So use the ID-5 kind of ride?

I need to drop Matt an E-mail, I take it he banged himself up pretty good?
Absolutely Id-5 ride. Anything more would be useless. Take the P.1 too b/c that slalom we layed out is fun. And someone told me that it's been extended some and cleaned up. It used to have the most fun stepdown.

Oh...and the old DH was responsible for the sickest injury EVUH! Tyler gapped the stepdown on the old DH course and broke his nose. It was all crooked and HUGEEEEEE!!! I mean MASSIVE! We thought his face was ruined. He got to the ER and they pulled a piece of GRANITE out of his nose and it went back down to normal size.

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
I know where both courses were/are. Drop me a PM, and I'd love to check out what's going on out there. I'm about ready to shake of the "concussion blues" and get back on my bike again. Yeah James, I don't remember much of anything at all about saturday- before or after I stacked.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I know where both courses were/are. Drop me a PM, and I'd love to check out what's going on out there. I'm about ready to shake of the "concussion blues" and get back on my bike again. Yeah James, I don't remember much of anything at all about saturday- before or after I stacked.
Dude, sorry again for last Sunday. I had no idea..... I may go ride at Clemson Sat if you want to go.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
we'll definitely be here friday to go ride the course. We were goign to try and make saturday a workday or ride central park in atl. If you guys decide to come up we'll probably just stay here.

Im heading back out there to day to scope out the suggested area and mark it off if I can. About this time next week the Clemson Freeride club will be born and after that the possibilities are endless.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
we'll definitely be here friday to go ride the course. We were goign to try and make saturday a workday or ride central park in atl. If you guys decide to come up we'll probably just stay here.

Im heading back out there to day to scope out the suggested area and mark it off if I can. About this time next week the Clemson Freeride club will be born and after that the possibilities are endless.
Word to ya mom! Clemson freeride is gonna be the shizzy:banana:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
just updating

Dear Jonathan,

It is my pleasure to inform you that Clemson Freeride has received recognition as a student organization from the university in partnership with Student Government.

THE DH trail is at about 25% right now but looks like we can get it done in time to race next winter. Redbull has already contacted me about coming out if we do host an event. So keep checking for updates.

Anyone who wants to ride or help build the course is more than welcome to come out just pm me

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
how would we go about doing that? Meaning does each person have to sign up or would the club have to shell out 500 bucks for a trail builder membership?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
how would we go about doing that? Meaning does each person have to sign up or would the club have to shell out 500 bucks for a trail builder membership?
each person signs up.

there are several ways to do this if you're interested.
you can apply to start a Chapter.... or just have members sign up "at large"... or tag onto an existing chapter.
Each has it's own +/- to it.

Typical membership runs about 30 bucks
I know they have a student discount as well.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
would probably run individual memberships. You probably don't want to mess with doing your own chapter unless you actually want to tie in ALL MTB'ers in your area.

go to www.rambo-mtb.org . They are doing something very similar to what you guys are unde the umbrella of SORBA.