Quantcast

Coffee Coffee Coffee

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So I see the lounge basically became personal pursuits so I wonder how many of you got into speciality/third weave or simply good coffee?

I'm rocking a hario v60 dripper and an areopresse and it would be good to bounce some ideas for start.

Also has any of you tried cold brewing? I try the immersion method and then filter through after 10h of brew time my v60 but I must be doing something wrong because the filters clog up really fast.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I do cold brew in a French press. Basically do the same thing you would to normally make French press coffee, but use like 50% more grounds, and cold water, then leave it in the fridge for 12-18 hours. Then I'll press it, and put it in a carafe for later consumption, and store that in the fridge. Works awesome.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I do cold brew in a French press. Basically do the same thing you would to normally make French press coffee, but use like 50% more grounds, and cold water, then leave it in the fridge for 12-18 hours. Then I'll press it, and put it in a carafe for later consumption, and store that in the fridge. Works awesome.
So you use the press and then leave it?

I think I will buy Hario Mizudashi for the next one since it's kinda expensive to experiment with 100g of coffee at a time.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've done cold brewing in a Toddy setup. The key is to not grind your coffee too fine, the coarse grounds help prevent the filter from clogging and they're going to steep so long that coarse is good enough.

It makes for really tasty coffee.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Coffee snobbery is an upper middle class affectation. Then again, so is Apple/high end Android smartphone use (as opposed to the 3 year old tech Android phones that the plebes use) and I'm guilty of that. Just sayin'.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Still rocking the aeropress.
It's awesome. Really want to get a portable burner, drive to some remote beach and enjoy it there.

I've done cold brewing in a Toddy setup. The key is to not grind your coffee too fine, the coarse grounds help prevent the filter from clogging and they're going to steep so long that coarse is good enough.

It makes for really tasty coffee.
Yeah my grind was finer than what I use for drip and that was a mistake. Will try as with drip. I have 2 proportions from 2 different coffee shops. 100g of coffee/1l and then ad 20% of water (or just add ice) or 63g of coffee /1l and don't add anything.

Coffee snobbery is an upper middle class affectation. Then again, so is Apple/high end Android smartphone use (as opposed to the 3 year old tech Android phones that the plebes use) and I'm guilty of that. Just sayin'.
If you drink proper coffee it's just a better product. Everyone thinks it's a snobbery before they try. I always invite my friends for a cupping to see the difference is more noticeable than in wine and you actually get what you pay for.

Not to mention coffee snobbery is cheap as hell. A v60 dripper can go for as low as 20$. A decent burr grinder can be bought for 80$ (only for filter coffee, not for espresso though). I think my first drip coffee setup was 150$ max. A bag of 250g coffee is 15-20$ so it's not super expensive also. For that money i just see no reason to drink shit. Even though I live in Poland and that means I earn crap compared to anyone in the US. (seriously 1.5k USD per month means you are in the top 5% here)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't drink coffee most days because of heartburn issues. But when I do, it's going to be good stuff damn it. Life is too short for shitty coffee.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So you use the press and then leave it?
You mean do I press it and then leave it in the fridge? No. The press really just serves to filter the whole mess after it's been brewing for 12+ hours.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I found a place that will sell you a cup of coffee for $15.

It comes out of their siphon, and they only serve it on the weekend.

I have not tried it...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't drink coffee most days because of heartburn issues. But when I do, it's going to be good stuff damn it. Life is too short for shitty coffee.
Life is too short for shitty anything.

You mean do I press it and then leave it in the fridge? No. The press really just serves to filter the whole mess after it's been brewing for 12+ hours.
So the same I did with my drip. Probably chose the wrong grind

I have not tried it...
Tbh I expect them having shitty coffee. The price makes no sens and is idiotic. Everyone in London got outraged when one speciality coffee shop asked 4.5 pounds for a cup. In Poland I can get great drip or chemex for 2.5$ from a friend who was 5th in the World Brewers Championship or visit a number of other places with top notch baristas serving top quality coffee including top quality geisha coffe, cup of excellence coffee and even from time to time Tim Wendelboe

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're probably drinking coffee that's too acidic. I have that problem. I've found that kona is the right amount of flavor for me while also having low acidity.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You're probably drinking coffee that's too acidic. I have that problem. I've found that kona is the right amount of flavor for me while also having low acidity.
I suspect it's rather coffee that's burnt too dark. Not sure which us roasteries burn like people in Skandinavia do but try to find a light roast and it should be better. Definately helps my gf with some hard rate jumps she has after dark roasts. Not to mention dark roasts are just plain unhealthy for anyone.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I suspect it's rather coffee that's burnt too dark. Not sure which us roasteries burn like people in Skandinavia do but try to find a light roast and it should be better. Definately helps my gf with some hard rate jumps she has after dark roasts. Not to mention dark roasts are just plain unhealthy for anyone.
There are a couple factors. I get a fresh as possible,low acid, light roast from a local roaster. As long as I stick to just a couple days a week I'm fine, but 4 or more days in a row = heartburn no matter what I'm drinking. I'm 99.9% sure that it has more to do with my accident. Prior to the wreck I could, and did, eat pretty much anything, post accident I've had to become much more selective about what I eat, or most importantly, drink, I suspect that when all my guts got hauled out in the ER to find where I was bleeding from so bad, that maybe something just didn't get put back in quite the right place, hence the heartburn.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are a couple factors. I get a fresh as possible,low acid, light roast from a local roaster. As long as I stick to just a couple days a week I'm fine, but 4 or more days in a row = heartburn no matter what I'm drinking. I'm 99.9% sure that it has more to do with my accident. Prior to the wreck I could, and did, eat pretty much anything, post accident I've had to become much more selective about what I eat, or most importantly, drink, I suspect that when all my guts got hauled out in the ER to find where I was bleeding from so bad, that maybe something just didn't get put back in quite the right place, hence the heartburn.
In the big scheme of things, small price to pay for your continued presence among the living.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

So the same I did with my drip. Probably chose the wrong grind

Tbh I expect them having shitty coffee. The price makes no sens and is idiotic. Everyone in London got outraged when one speciality coffee shop asked 4.5 pounds for a cup. In Poland I can get great drip or chemex for 2.5$ from a friend who was 5th in the World Brewers Championship or visit a number of other places with top notch baristas serving top quality coffee including top quality geisha coffe, cup of excellence coffee and even from time to time Tim Wendelboe
There's plenty of outrage here too... But for some, knowing that your cup only cost $4.50, while there is a $15 option makes the $4.50 cup less enjoyable. The outrage of those who refuse to pay $15 makes it extra delicious!

I went through a "pour over" phase, but my new job location only provides for Tim Horton's coffee. I drink it black, and I'm fine with it.

I might get into using a stovetop espresso maker at some point, but I somehow doubt it.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There's plenty of outrage here too... But for some, knowing that your cup only cost $4.50, while there is a $15 option makes the $4.50 cup less enjoyable. The outrage of those who refuse to pay $15 makes it extra delicious!

I went through a "pour over" phase, but my new job location only provides for Tim Horton's coffee. I drink it black, and I'm fine with it.

I might get into using a stovetop espresso maker at some point, but I somehow doubt it.
Take an aeropress with you to work. A portable setup is fast and easy to transport. I do it often even if my work collegues look at me funny.

As for 15$ paying for the outrage I think it's more to separate the rich (or just people who are willing to spend like idiots) from the normal people. I went to an elite high school and a ton of my friends work in shitty (well paying but still shit) corporate jobs in banking, consulting etc. They have no interests and are afraid of people who have some, they are afraid of almost anyone different than them so they separate themselves by staying in shitty expensive places. Even when they were 21 they met in white cloth restaurants with silverware on the tables. Hell I'd understand if those were good restaurants but it seemed like they chose shitty ones on purpose.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Hario Mizudashi works best in the 600 ml size, the 1000 uses the same size filter, so it doesn't make coffee as well. Sowden has an even better design than the Hario and makes hot or cold brew. Supposedly the OXO takes it:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The Hario Mizudashi works best in the 600 ml size, the 1000 uses the same size filter, so it doesn't make coffee as well. Sowden has an even better design than the Hario and makes hot or cold brew. Supposedly the OXO takes it:

I will look into them. I was thinking about the Mizudashi because it's cheap as hell and I can get it locally. The others I have to order from abroad.

Tbh the best cold brew I tasted recently was by simple immersion and then filtered through v60's and chemex filters. Mine didn't work but it was probably the grind. Don't know what else could have affected it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I will look into them. I was thinking about the Mizudashi because it's cheap as hell and I can get it locally. The others I have to order from abroad
The other thing to keep in mind is the Sowden contains no materials that will leach estrogenic compounds in your acidic coffee brew like BPA/BPS/etc. Some devices may have some glass parts, but they still have plastic or silicon parts and/or nylon filters. Sowden only has three parts and is made of stainless steel and porcelain - that's it.

No paper filters required either for hot or cold brewing either.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The other thing to keep in mind is the Sowden contains no materials that will leach estrogenic compounds in your acidic coffee brew like BPA/BPS/etc. Some devices may have some glass parts, but they still have plastic or silicon parts and/or nylon filters. Sowden only has three parts and is made of stainless steel and porcelain - that's it.

No paper filters required either for hot or cold brewing either.
I will think about it. For hot brewing I will buy a kalia first. More constistant than my v60 (in my hands at least).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no, its just people not settling for the piss water that america passes off as coffee.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I have not tried it...
i have a coffee siphon. it does make fucking fantastic coffee. i rarely make it because it can be kind of a hassle. i can certainly see why they charge what they do for a cup of it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i have a coffee siphon. it does make fucking fantastic coffee. i rarely make it because it can be kind of a hassle. i can certainly see why they charge what they do for a cup of it.
Not really. Here the siphon costs the same as a chemex. Unless you use a lamp instead of a burner it takes around the same time as a chemex. It also doesn't taste different than other alternative methods. It looks cool though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jesus, this thread certainly exploded. I wasn't expecting this much jabber.

:stupid: that's why when my old espresso machine died, I decided not the fuck around and got me a double-boiler e63 machine. In my case, a QuickMill QM67. I've paired it with a Compak K3 (bought refurbished from the local espresso wholesaler). As long as I keep my coffee fresh (I get it once a week, it comes from 49th Parallel in Vancouver), it serves up an excellent cappucino first thing, followed by an excellent espresso before I step out. It's pretty easy to get consistent results, I just have to play with grind settings depending on ambient humidity. It sits in my man-cave on my work bench in the basement and looks badass.

That's what started me on the road to espresso. I recently discovered that is also what gives me the worst heartburn. Within minutes of drinking, I have to reach for tums, otherwise I'm hacking up a lung and vomiting in my mouth a little. I only use it for camping now. And to be honest, I much prefer a good pour-over than this.

At the office I have a kettle, an Ascaso grinder, and a BonaVita immersion brewer. It makes a very fragrant and light cup of coffee. Totally different taste profile to espresso, and it allows me to play around with different coffees from my local roasters (I can't find a local roaster that makes a good espresso). Also, no heartburn. I tend to prefer Yirgacheffe's and lately have really enjoyed Ugandan.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Americans want quantity much more than they want quality. More moar than better.
Naah it's the same as with Polish people as i've noticed. You want expensive shit but only if you can show it off. Outside of that you want as cheap as possible. Poland is so similar in that way I'm surprised we aren't trying to become a state (we are on your tit more than most of yurp though).

To be honest I really like what the western yurp and the nordics do. Quality even if it means having less crap and buying it less often.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Jesus, this thread certainly exploded. I wasn't expecting this much jabber.

:stupid: that's why when my old espresso machine died, I decided not the fuck around and got me a double-boiler e63 machine. In my case, a QuickMill QM67. I've paired it with a Compak K3 (bought refurbished from the local espresso wholesaler). As long as I keep my coffee fresh (I get it once a week, it comes from 49th Parallel in Vancouver), it serves up an excellent cappucino first thing, followed by an excellent espresso before I step out. It's pretty easy to get consistent results, I just have to play with grind settings depending on ambient humidity. It sits in my man-cave on my work bench in the basement and looks badass.

That's what started me on the road to espresso. I recently discovered that is also what gives me the worst heartburn. Within minutes of drinking, I have to reach for tums, otherwise I'm hacking up a lung and vomiting in my mouth a little. I only use it for camping now. And to be honest, I much prefer a good pour-over than this.

At the office I have a kettle, an Ascaso grinder, and a BonaVita immersion brewer. It makes a very fragrant and light cup of coffee. Totally different taste profile to espresso, and it allows me to play around with different coffees from my local roasters (I can't find a local roaster that makes a good espresso). Also, no heartburn. I tend to prefer Yirgacheffe's and lately have really enjoyed Ugandan.

I think heartburn could be also connected to how the coffe is burn. How dark most speciality shops in the US burn? Did the nordic roasting style get to you? I really like the way they do it. Though it surprised me that the guy who won World roasting championship past week lives in Poland (he is from Norway though)

btw. I really recommend this movie

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
when a colleague found out I was a coffee geek, she brought me this. Turns out her husband is a prospector who recently spent time in Papua-New Guinea and brought some back. It's not a bad coffee, but I mostly like the packaging. especially their slogan!