Quantcast

Coffee Maker recommendations?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Big on the coffee. Been using a french press with pleasure for many years, but since the GF moved in, we've been using her Mr. Coffee drip machine because she gets up first and it's less labor intensive. Time to replace it. Looked around. Everything is so damned ugly right now. Prefer white as opposed to the hot stainless look right now. Not big on the thermos type. Want to see the actual coffee in the pot. I'd like something with an adjustable hot plate temperature thing as we often make only around 5 cups, but it's not super important. Whatcha think?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I get whatever is on sale at Bi-Mart for under $20. But after the last one died, my wife got a free one from Gevalia with 2 pounds of coffee. It has a timer and seems to work well. Plus it was free, so that was nice.

I don't like their coffee, so we just got the minimum and called it good.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do NOT get one with a hot plate. Get one of the thermos ones. You can look at the coffee in your cup.

We have a DeLonghi drip pot that came in either white or black. Coffee stains look terrible on white coffee makers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What say the monkeys about those "pod" coffee makers?

I am interested in getting one eventually because I'm the only one who drinks coffee in the house and it seems like a pretty convenient way of making one or two cups at a time and the word on the street is that they're better than a drip...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
What say the monkeys about those "pod" coffee makers?

I am interested in getting one eventually because I'm the only one who drinks coffee in the house and it seems like a pretty convenient way of making one or two cups at a time and the word on the street is that they're better than a drip...
Senseo sent me one for free with some pods I shoulda saved it cuz you coulda had it for shipping only. We tried it for a week & we are french press purists, so it didnt go over very well in our house.

Compared to a drip though I think i likeit about the same maybe a little better. The froth it produces is pretty good & the coffee is decent the only problem is you are locked in to those little pods, so if you like to pick up beans from the local coffee roaster you are SOL. But if you drink foldgers or something & coffee is just a pick-me-up you may enjoy it.

anymore ?'s...ask.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Senseo sent me one for free with some pods I shoulda saved it cuz you coulda had it for shipping only.
Do tell ? Was it some kind of promotional thing or did you have a hookup?

Compared to a drip though I think i likeit about the same maybe a little better. The froth it produces is pretty good & the coffee is decent the only problem is you are locked in to those little pods, so if you like to pick up beans from the local coffee roaster you are SOL. But if you drink foldgers or something & coffee is just a pick-me-up you may enjoy it.
Thanks. I have a glass drip coffee maker that my parents used since I was a little kid, so if I picked up some good beans it could go in that, the pod deal would be for the quick morning cup, and I'm not uber fussy about my morning coffee, just has to be decent.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, those pod things seem popular - that senseo whatever thing. Also, a lot of single cup makers out there right now. We are using the french press again and it is good - hard when you have people over though and since we don't have a microwave and the gf doesn't drink much at a time, if it's cold it's thrown out. The thermo pot is probably the way to go.. white coffee makers stained do look mad ugly, but black is such a .... i dunno.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The pods work well, I used one for a while. It just didn't make enough for my morning (I use a big cup).

At my LBS, they just got a new coffee maker that doesn't use a pot or hot plate. It's more like a commercial pot that you put your cup under and pull the lever. Cuts out the middle man and works great.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
At my LBS, they just got a new coffee maker that doesn't use a pot or hot plate. It's more like a commercial pot that you put your cup under and pull the lever. Cuts out the middle man and works great.

That unit is basically a drip brew with a resi to hold the coffee.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have one of these:

My parents used it for as long as I can remember, so it's certainly 20+ years old. I rescued it the last time my mom moved, she was going to toss it.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
If you care about taste you don't want a burner, it's just going to scorch the coffee. The insulated carafes are much better and the decent ones will stay warm plenty long. I like metal filters, no wasted paper, and all of the oils from coffee end up in your cup rather than in the filter. You'll get a little bit more sediment, but if you're drinking from a french press now than I imagine you won't mind.

Starbucks used to carry a pretty decent one that was surprisingly well priced, especially when it's on sale. My dad has been using one for a few years without problems.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>
Thanks. I have a glass drip coffee maker that my parents used since I was a little kid, so if I picked up some good beans it could go in that, the pod deal would be for the quick morning cup, and I'm not uber fussy about my morning coffee, just has to be decent.
Have you seen the little single cup drips that sit right on your cup? That might be an option if you just want a cup.... and you can still use local beans. And it's super-cheap.

mert

Chimp
Jul 17, 2006
mass
1. get a cone filter style brewer for drip brewed coffee. the flat bottomed filters make sheyet!
2. don't get a metal thermos style, unless you like the taste of metal in your coffee...
3. pods are for coffee wusses.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Picked up one of these for using at work, not too long ago. Makes a decent cup of coffee and uses the cone type filters. it's also easy as hell to clean, as all the parts separate. It was ~ $50 at Target.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I currently use a gold filter. I like the stronger coffee and yeah, been doing the french press for so long the extra bits don't bother me. As far as cone vs basket, never really could tell the difference.

This sounds good pretty good and the sort of thing I've been looking for. http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Scandinavian-Design-Coffee-Maker/dp/B0002U34II/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-6585982-8700045?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1175621509&sr=8-2

"Three heating elements for coffee with superior taste! In addition to an element that heats the water as it leaves the reservoir, this coffee maker includes a patented top heating element that reheats the water just before it reaches the coffee grounds to obtain maximum extraction of flavors. Keep-warm element uses a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heater to heat continuallyand automatically varies its wattage to maintain the optimum serving temperature as well as to preserve coffee flavor."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BV, pretty sure that's a Chemex maker from your parents. Classic stuff. Lots of info available and they have a loyal following. It's not a vaccuum, basically just a regular drip.

I just use a regular Mr. Coffee but we never let it sit on the hot plate very long. If you are up not long after your girl you should fine, but if it's an hour or more you should probably do the carafe thing. It really makes a big difference.

I completely agree with the convenience issue. I even grind the beans ahead of time. We go through about a pound every week and after doing some comparisons years ago, the difference is not so huge that I want to take the time or hear that grinding at 6 in the morning. Just use good quality beans - fair trade if you can find them - and don't sweat it too much. If it's a drip maker I don't see the need to get anything more than a basic deal, but a timer can be handy.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
As long as you don't get something totally crappy, I've never noticed much difference between drip makers. A timer is a nice feature if you're drinking it every morning.

I've used a Senseo machine a number of times. My roommate last year had one. The pods can be expensive, but she found a store with cheap ones, so it wasn't too bad. There was a variety of flavors and roasts available, which was nice. The convenience was great. Hot coffee in a minute or so- can't beat that.

The flavor, in my opinion, left something to be desired. I mostly use a press for my coffee and I found the Senseo to be thinner, weaker and sometimes with a funny aftertaste. It was convenient, but I really only ever used it if I just wanted something different from the usual. For morning coffee duty, I'd rather use a drip with a timer.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
The pods work well, I used one for a while. It just didn't make enough for my morning (I use a big cup).

I have this at my house. Been using it for about a year and it makes wonderful coffee. I use it every day.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV, pretty sure that's a Chemex maker from your parents. Classic stuff. Lots of info available and they have a loyal following. It's not a vaccuum, basically just a regular drip.
Yep :thumb:

I always thought it was a nice looking piece.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have this at my house. Been using it for about a year and it makes wonderful coffee. I use it every day.
How much does something like this run for?

I have been doing the instant thing for a bit as I only have an old cheap ass mr coffee that gives the coffee a funny aftertaste (not as funny as instant, ironically). I'm the only one drinking it as well, so i only need one big mug.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm trying to find something to make one big cup, on the cheap, that wont taste funny.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
How much does something like this run for?

I have been doing the instant thing for a bit as I only have an old cheap ass mr coffee that gives the coffee a funny aftertaste (not as funny as instant, ironically). I'm the only one drinking it as well, so i only need one big mug.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm trying to find something to make one big cup, on the cheap, that wont taste funny.
I think something like this is about as cheap as it gets. You have to heat your water and buy filters, but the cone is under $5 and sits right on top of your mug:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have been trying to find a decent french press here locally, ie: one that won't fall apart after 10 mins, and which doesn't cost $75. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Problem is shipping to canada will be atrocious. I really dont want to pay mroe for shipping than the product costs!

I'm gonna keep looking, hoepfully i can find one shortly. I'd like to get a decent one, but not $70 decent, ha.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I picked up one of these a few months ago (saved $20 by purchasing online). Comes in white too:

I use it with a gold filter and it purifies the water. Fairly easy to use and doesn't look hideous on the countertop (my 2 biggest reasons for buying)

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
When your wife's cousin owns a homebrew and gourmet coffee shop, your tastes get "snooty" pretty quick. Gotta convert the GF to the grinder and press. It's a must do.

:spam: for my wifes cousin www.morebeer.com