Quantcast

Coffee...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, my big tub of Folger's is almost out, and Im going to get some more coffee today. I know that Folger's is the BudLight of Coffees so to speak, so Im curious what some of you others drink.
Im really not interested in crazy flavors or mocaccino's or any of that other crap. I like a rich, strong, black (sounding a little gay here) full bodied coffee.

Any recommendations?

Its not that Im dissatisfied w/ regular coffee, but I feel as if there's a world Im missing...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I personally like "breakfast blend" coffee's. I by no means consider myself a connoisseur but I am an addict.

I prefer dark roast type stuff in the evening.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
stosh said:
I personally like "breakfast blend" coffee's. I by no means consider myself a connoisseur but I am an addict.

I prefer dark roast type stuff in the evening.
Nice avatar, how long's the monkey been humping your lughole?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
fluff said:
Nice avatar, how long's the monkey been humping your lughole?
Hello and welcome to 4 months ago!! :)

I've had many calls both on the forums and in real life to bring it back.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
stosh said:
Hello and welcome to 4 months ago!! :)

I've had many calls both on the forums and in real life.
I'm closing in on the present day at an alarming rate of knots. At this rate by Friday I'll be in the middle of next week.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
fluff said:
I'm closing in on the present day at an alarming rate of knots. At this rate by Friday I'll be in the middle of next week.
Don't worry, I'm sure it's a time zone thing....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
stosh said:
That is one of my favorite companies as well. I doubt you can buy it down where he lives though.
I dunno. Would they have it at WildOats or something? I have been buying meat there, and its pretty good.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
I dunno. Would they have it at WildOats or something? I have been buying meat there, and its pretty good.
I have NO idea what you're talking about.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
BurlyShirley said:
Strong, rich, black, sowing wild oats, and "buying meat"?

Man, you are sounding gay...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stevew said:
Hippie/granola type of supermarket. I think.
Word.

Cool store. They have a nice meat section. It's not cheap though. It's one of the only places in the area where I can find ground bison.

I like Whole Foods better though. Whole Foods has a good beer selection, as grocey stores go. Not a huge selection, but it's all microbrews.

Oh, I like New England Coffee Company coffees.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I got a french press for fathers day. And to go with it, a pound of spceically gorund Starbucks. I'm still trying to get the mixture right. I made it a little too strong this morning. My left arm is tingling and I think I can see through time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've had generally good luck with Sumatran. I generally get the store-brand Sumatran - they all seem to have one. Key is to get whole bean and grind it yourself. Your coffee will be much better when made from freshly ground beans. Sumatran is generally one of the darker roasts.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stay away from pre-ground coffee.

buy beans and a grinder, keep yr beans in an air-tight container.

these simple changes will get your coffee tasting much better, but definitely get some beans you like too. sounds like a french roast is what you are after, or perhaps something a bit less dark.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Pricey coffee good to the last dropping

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Would you pay $175 for a pound of coffee beans which had passed through the backside of a furry mammal in Indonesia?

Apparently, some coffee lovers wanting to treat themselves to something special are lapping it up.

Kopi Luwak beans from Indonesia are rare and expensive, thanks to a unique taste and aroma enhanced by the digestive system of palm civets, nocturnal tree-climbing creatures about the size of a large house cat.

"People like coffee. And when they want to treat themselves, they order the Kopi Luwak," said Isaac Jones, director of sales for Tastes of The World, an online supplier of gourmet coffee, tea and cocoa.

Despite being carnivorous, civets eat ripe coffee cherries for treats. The coffee beans, which are found inside of the cherries, remain intact after passing through the animal.

Civet droppings are found on the forest floor near coffee plantations. Once carefully cleaned and roasted, the beans are sold to specialty buyers.

Jones said sales for Kopi Luwak rose three-fold just before the Christmas holiday compared with the first half of the year. The company started selling the rare coffee in February 2005.

He expects to sell around 200 pounds of the coffee this year, with orders coming from North America and Europe. So far, most of the orders have been from California.

Indonesia produces only about 500 kilograms, or roughly 1,100 pounds, of the coffee each year, making it extremely expensive and difficult to find.

"It's the most expensive coffee that we know about in the world," said Jones.

By comparison Jamaica's Blue Mountain coffee, considered to be an expensive type, sells for $35 to $40 per pound, while a pound of Colombia's Supremo arabicas can be bought for about $14.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The key is to minimize the time between the time it's roasted and ground and the time you brew. Try to find stuff that is roasted locally, and like Narlus said, buy beans and grind as you go. But I hate the sound of a coffee grinder in the morning (especially before I've had my coffee!), so lately I've been grinding 1/2 pound at a time, which lasts a few days and I don't notice the lack of freshness.

I just use a regular coffee maker but the presses are good too.

At a place like Wild Oats you should be able to find french roast, italian roast, and other darker roasts and blends that will blow your mind after Folgers.

Oh, and keep it in the fridge or freezer.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
www.ravensbrew.com

For a dark, strong cup try these blends:

3 Peckered Billy Goat Blend (espresso roast)
Dead Man's Reach

They have cool artwork on their packaging too.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I buy Cascade Pride's "Rocket Java" at the store for $5 a pound and it is great. It's a wicked dark roast with good morning kick. I get Seattle's Best Sumatra when it's on sale sometimes.

Nothing is better than Navy coffee. Or is it:
Beverage, Coffee Tyep: 1 each

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
stay away from pre-ground coffee.

buy beans and a grinder, keep yr beans in an air-tight container.

these simple changes will get your coffee tasting much better, but definitely get some beans you like too. sounds like a french roast is what you are after, or perhaps something a bit less dark.
:stupid:

The man knows his coffee.

You might try finding a local coffee company in your area and trying some of their coffees to see what you like. Stay away from starbucks like the plague. If folgers is the Bud Light of coffee, then starschmucks is certainly the McDonalds of coffee.

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
MMike said:
I got a french press for fathers day. And to go with it, a pound of spceically gorund Starbucks. I'm still trying to get the mixture right. I made it a little too strong this morning. My left arm is tingling and I think I can see through time.
Hey french presses are great. Try using 6 full scoopes and a little more. works out well for me.

As for the coffee, right now I am enjoying Kopi Kampung, one of those black apron coffees from Starbucks.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Get a French Press, a real grinder, use whole bean coffee, and keep it in an air tight container. That had already been said in this thread, but it is the damn truth.
I prefer dark roast coffees.
You should try something like Peets Major Dickason's Blend. If you can't find it locally, you can order it at peets.com
They roast it the day they ship it to you, and it it is so fresh it will part your hair when you open the bag.:)
Out of all the grocery store stuff, I can stomach 8 oclock's French Roast the best. Not being a snob at all, but cheap coffee actually roaches my stomach. I drink straight espresso just fine and love it, but a cup of cheap coffee acid makes me feel like a turd.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Changleen said:
Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks.
Say what you want about SBUX but their stock has been great and they have quite a following in their stores. Store #1 is filled with tourons this time of year so I don't think the novelty is wearing off anytime soon.

The Biking Viking had me bring him as much Sumatra as I could get in my luggage when I went over for "Thor's Hammer" a couple years back.
Coffee in Norway pretty much blows.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
SkaredShtles said:
Paging TN to the roasted brown courtesy phone................

TN to the roasted brown courtesy phone please.

:D
We get beans from the same place. He tries more types though, I mostly stick with the blends for espresso.