Quantcast

Cold weather Jacket

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Monkeys,

I rode today and froze my damn a$$ off. I don't think I have ever been as cold as I was today. My feet and legs where fine, but my chest and hands where numb for hours after the ride. So I just bought a pair of Lobster Gloves but I'm unsure of a good Jacket to buy. There are so many out there - and the range from 60 - 300 bucks. I was hoping for some suggestions. I would like to use it for both road and mountain and something that will work into the high 20's.

Any suggestions / links would be great.

KB

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
do not get a north face jacket or mountain hard ware. they are good jackets but they are all about fashon, and if you wear one with anybody that is serious about the outdoors they will laugh in your face. get a columbia or a sierra designs or anything they carry at rei.com or sierratradingpost.com

ps ive got a nice columbia jacket

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
do not get a north face jacket or mountain hard ware. they are good jackets but they are all about fashon, and if you wear one with anybody that is serious about the outdoors they will laugh in your face. get a columbia or a sierra designs or anything they carry at rei.com or sierratradingpost.com

So they are good jackets, but dont buy one? Stupidest post ever.

Im serious about outdoors, Ive never laughed in someone's face for wearing a particular brand of anything. That's what posers and tools do.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
So they are good jackets, but dont buy one? Stupidest post ever.

Im serious about outdoors, Ive never laughed in someone's face for wearing a particular brand of anything. That's what posers and tools do.
aaahhhh no. i avoid north face for several reasons. #1 all fifteen year old girls own one. #2 they have slacked off in performance. their jackets are nice but they are not as good as they could be because lately they have focused on fashon and selling stuff instead of providing good products. and #3 you cannot find a north face jacket cheap. everybody sells them for the absolute maximum because they know people will buy them. my dad bought a sierra designs rain jacket for under $100 a jacket that some people would call 'equal' to that jacket made by northface would be $300. and in my opinion the northface isnt of the same quality.

or go to campmor.com

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I want something that's going to help keep my core warm. I hate been cold for hours after a ride. I know I need wind resistant but I was hoping for some opinions. Right now I'm looking at:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1215&brand=&sku=16480&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Outerwear
Im just going to pretend Birdman doesnt exist and give you my opinion. Get something nice, like you just posted, something wind and waterproof to wear on the outside of whatever else you're wearing.
Today it was about 38 down here and I wore just a base layer and a wool jersey and I was sweating balls. If it were 20 or so, I could've easily made it with just a jacket over my warming layers. So think in layers, no one jacket will be good for everything because you're going to get hot eventually, and being able to shed just the outside layer is invaluable...just my opinion of course.
BTW, northface makes some nice gear.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
i never said northface doesnt make nice gear. infact i said that they DO make nice gear, i just dont like northface

and if you honestly think that i laugh in the face of people who wear north face, then youre an idiot.

but i agree with you on layering. i just ride with a t-shirt and a fleece maybe a longsleeve shirt too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I just wear fleece over a marmot shell I have. It gets hot.

Hooray for my brothers REI pro-deal hook-up.

I also have a North Face shell that does the job.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
For what it's worth I picked up a vest last winter to keep the core temp comfortable. It has turned out to be one of the best tools in my clothing arsenal. Neoprene gloves work well here in the desert for winter riding too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
do not get a north face jacket or mountain hard ware. they are good jackets but they are all about fashon, and if you wear one with anybody that is serious about the outdoors they will laugh in your face.
Don't be retarded. Outdoor posers might laugh in your face... :rolleyes:
get a columbia or a sierra designs or anything they carry at rei.com or sierratradingpost.com

Don't serious outdoor people laugh in your face? :rolleyes:

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.

I guess im a poser for wearing this jacket, but ive been rockin it with a hoody underneath for the past week in sub 20 weather and been fine. albet pricey at 185 i feel it was an awesome purchase. not waterproof but it does cut the wind out...

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
im with green chris on that one, ive had the same one for 3 years now and couldent be happier wiht it. MH makes some great stuff, that works great and looks good where ever you ware it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
i have a nf tent and have had nf sleeping bags and for the THIRD time north face makes good products, but they arent living up to their potential due to motives that arent making products that set the bar a little higher and i feel that other companies do.
That post made absolutely no sense.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have a nf tent and have had nf sleeping bags and for the THIRD time north face makes good products, but they arent living up to their potential due to motives that arent making products that set the bar a little higher and i feel that other companies do.
sounds like you're the only one concerned about image in this thread.

/me has plenty of TNF, columbia, house brand rei, random other gear i've collected over the years. most is good, and the bad stuff has hit the trash long ago, no matter what brand name is on the outside.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So I rock a Performance Commuter Jacket for winter riding, and I LOVE this thing, here's why: Seams are sealed, waterproof, fairly breathable, pit zips, back vent, made with Illuminite so you can ride at night and people can see you, it fits great, it's light and packable into my Camelbak HAWG, draw string around the bottom to keep the wind from blowing up your skirt, AND it has a zip-off hood which I've used and works SO good in sleeting rain. Seriously, the zip off hood is the SHIZZNIT. And it's not that expensive, and you can usually find it on sale. I give no F that it's made by Performance because it just works, and that's all I want.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23096&subcategory_ID=1130

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
No matter what brand you get, I'd recommend a softshell. They're mostly windproof, water resistant, but they breath well enough that you won't get soaked by sweat.

I love my Mountain Hardwear Alchemy jacket. Strangely, people weren't laughing when I wore it across the knife edge on Capitol. Arc Teryx makes wonderful stuff, but it's incredibly expensive. Marmot and MH both make good clothing that's more affordable.

I wouldn't bother with Columbia, it just doesn't fit as well, or work as well. MH is owned by Columbia, but they're definitely positioned differently with Columbia for the lower end stuff, and MH for the higher end.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Pearl Izumi's Barrier vest and jacket are quite nice, and top my list for colder weather gear.

i have the vest currently, and it's perfect for most weather conditions except the coldest of times. PI's Ultrasensor fabric keeps me quite warm, and isn't bulky at all, and the Zephyr panels do a good job of keeping out the wind.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
Monkeys,

I rode today and froze my damn a$$ off. I don't think I have ever been as cold as I was today. My feet and legs where fine, but my chest and hands where numb for hours after the ride. So I just bought a pair of Lobster Gloves but I'm unsure of a good Jacket to buy. There are so many out there - and the range from 60 - 300 bucks. I was hoping for some suggestions. I would like to use it for both road and mountain and something that will work into the high 20's.

Any suggestions / links would be great.

KB
I went biking today and it was 26 degrees with 22 mph winds out it wasnt that bad and i was sweating pretty soon...

i was wearin a shirt, a thin hoody, flannel pants, winter gloves, and a hat. get some resistance to the cold and u will be fine goin but naked!

i dont advise that though...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I love my Mountain Hardwear Alchemy jacket.
That jacket was the best clothing purchase that I have ever made.
Its almost like magic.
It keeps you warm when it is freezing out, but it is thin and comfortable enough to keep on when you are indoors as well.
Too bad its only been cold here about 3 days all year.:disgust1:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
when it gets really cold out here, I'll throw on a long sleeve underarmour shirt, combined with a regular shirt, a fleece and a light windbreaker. I'm toasty out there

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I'm a big fan of North face - those are the only shoes I will wear now because of how well the fit my foot. However I haven't for a good "riding jacket from them"

Thank for all the post - I think I'm going to spring for the one that I posted.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
make sure your outer shell is windproof .. then layer underneath.. and use a wicking shirt againts your skin... ive commuted for years in 20 deg weather and was fine with it...

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I wear a Hind cold weather long sleeve jersey, a microfiber vest, a fleece shirt and a windbreaker on cold day rides. I have a fairly high tolerance to cold, (much to BigT's dismay) and don't need much on my core. My feet usually get cold, but rarely frozen. On really cold days, I'll wear ski gloves instead of my cold weather biking gloves.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006

how about you actually read all of my posts about northface, then maybe you would under stand why i AVIOD north face, not burn all northface products i have. for the FOURTH time northface makes good products i just do not like northface!

and for being concerned about immage i am not. i know people that are. i know people that only buy the most high end gear for the highest price. buy the cool packs and the cool boots and all that crap. please if you would talk to anybody that knows me i am not concerned with what i look like. i only care if it does the job. (now you can take that into me wearing a pink jumpsuit instead of a tshirt and shorts for going on a run, but thats not what i mean at all) i buy things that A) do the job well B) inexpensive and the very last thing is looks, which is me deciding whether or not i like red or yellow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
how about you actually read all of my posts about northface, then maybe you would under stand why i AVIOD north face, not burn all northface products i have. for the FOURTH time northface makes good products i just do not like northface!

and for being concerned about immage i am not. i know people that are. i know people that only buy the most high end gear for the highest price. buy the cool packs and the cool boots and all that crap. please if you would talk to anybody that knows me i am not concerned with what i look like. i only care if it does the job. (now you can take that into me wearing a pink jumpsuit instead of a tshirt and shorts for going on a run, but thats not what i mean at all) i buy things that A) do the job well B) inexpensive and the very last thing is looks, which is me deciding whether or not i like red or yellow.
Dude - I'm not going to rehash all the crap you said in this thread that is contradictory and downright retarded. I'll let the rest of the readers do that for themselves. :rolleyes:

You might consider taking a class in rational thought. It would probably be very useful...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I like my marmot gortex jacket, they arent too pricey, and if you wear a good fleece bottom layer, you should be good...

And it waterproof. and the sholders strech, so it doesnt restrict your motion, got it at REi, for like $120 on sale i think.

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=67&style_id=I3005

or this looks nice too

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=24&style_id=I8052
I have a Marmot winter jacket and it's completely AWESOME! I rarely wear the fleece liner and outer shell together because they're too warm for this winter. The outershell is wind and waterproof and yet it breaths and is SO comfortable. I haven't worn it biking, but I wear it daily and think they have a quality product!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Softshells are nice, but not great in rain. Unless you get a superexpensive one. I have a superthin one that is actually really good for biking (windproof), but not great in rain. At all.

The GF just got a Paclite(?) Gore-tex jacket would be good for biking. Not too heavy, will prob. breathe well, and has good pit zips.
A jacket like that with some el cheapo long underwear from the work warehouse, maybe a fleece if it's really cold (which everone has by now, right?) I bet you'll be fine. But you've probably already bought your jacket, so, enjoy.

But I'm a big poser, so, What-EVAR!