Quantcast

College Degrees

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
All you monkeys that are in college or have already graduated what did/are you major/majoring in? Do you have a job related to your major?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have a degree in economics and am in marketing... which is no where near the same thing.

Plan on getting your masters... go straight thru for it, don't stop. If you need time off, skip a summer semester here or there and travel for 2-3 months.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
BurlySurly said:
who needs college?
Please be sarcastic. Please.....

College is the best thing. Ever. My freshman year of college will be over tomorrow, and I'm very sad to see it go. College has given me tons of new friends and opporunities to have fun and learn. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

And to answer the question... I'm double majoring in Communications (lotta girls in that major :D) and German (don't ask why; it's easy).

Go to college if you can, you won't be sorry.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I majored in film. I'm currently working in the story department of a major studio. Starting on the lowest rung of the ladder so to speak...

Did I need a film degree to get my job? No.

Did it help? I don't think so.

It was more so interning that got me where I am. The lowest rung of the ladder! Yes!

But it's always good to get the degree. Now my parents have a piece of paper hanging on the wall signed by Gray Davis, that says me smart.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
I got my BS in Mechanical Engineering in '99, worked for an aerospace company, then a window hinge company, now I'm back in grad school almost done with my master's degree in ME.

If any Jackalopes are reading, HI! I just finished another year of the Formula SAE project, we got 5th place out of 140 teams. Found some killer dirt jumps by my house, and within 20 minutes I snapped my BB (#3). Need to upgrade to the ISIS shiznit.

-Denny T

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BA in CS, '03. going to med school starting in september, so my degree only helped in that i did the premed prerequisites as well as my programming and math... :D but i wouldn't trade it for anything, as i am now geeky in multiple dimensions, heh

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BA in Music Performance
BS in Music Education
MS in Curriculum Development and Instructional Technology (in Music)

I am currently a Music Teacher (band-elementary & middle school).

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. Worked in the field for a few years and am now a Software Test Engineer.....I've never looked back :D

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
I ended up with a BS in Microbiology/Genetic Engineering and a minor in Art History. I started working in the lab at a medical device company and my degree had some relevance but I now do mainly technical marketing at a defense company. While I do not use my microbiology education directly, a science background still is extremely useful in my day to day activities.

The art history part is helpful in making pretty marketing materials! :)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
BS Physics
PhD Geophysics
Now I'm a physicist so yeah, my job relates to my major. :)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Going to school, last final of Sophomore year is due tommorrow. I'm an English and Environmental Studies double major. I(meaning my parents) pay a good chunk of change to send me to school, I don't know if it is worth it, but I'm willing to give it a try. So far so good, I'm planning on teaching and doing work in environment protection, but truth be told....I may end up just working for a backpacking company and spending the rest of my life on the trail or on my bike.

Don't mind BS, he's just angry because us college students are still naive enough to think we can change the world. :)

The Ito

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
I have no degree! heh.....Yet I'm a Network Engineer for AT&T Wireless (No, not a RF engineer that everyone likes to complain about), but soon I'll be working for T-Mobile.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
BS Mechanical Engineering/ minor in Engish, both from GWU in dc

working as a research assistant at GWU in DC, interviewed for a job at the patent office last week.

Pezzo33

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Western Massachusetts
Bachelors in marketing and Communications, double Major from Umass in 2001. So for work? I am a business and Finance manager for a car dealership :) It pays the bills, and pays them well :) :love:

but I woudl not be where I was without college. Best 5 years of my life!

Pez

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Craw said:
I majored in film. I'm currently working in the story department of a major studio. Starting on the lowest rung of the ladder so to speak...
You go to USC? A friend of mine went there and had a blast.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Bachelor degree in business and now doing accounting work. To be honest, college isn't all about learning the material; a lot of it is about proving to yourself, the world, and potential employers that you have the skill/intelligence/determination to make it through school and all of the things you'll encounter. How many people have you met, that when you ask them why didn't continue school, launch into a theory, or several theories, as to why they didn't continue and how their mind isn't meant to learn in a classroom? Newflash: nobody likes being in a classroom for 6 hours a day, let alone having to pay attention and learn. Cut the crap and just tell me you didn't want it bad enough.

Go to college, pick a degree on something that will interest and challenge you, and don't forget to slow down and enjoy the view.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Ridemonkey said:
BS in geology. I worked as an exploration and mine geologist for a year before getting into the Internet. I miss geology.
At least I'm not the only one... Where did you go?

BS Geology
Univeristy of Florida

Working for a structural engineering firm.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I got an Associates of applied arts in industrial design, and got a pretty good job doing fabrication initially, and now cad work. im not satisfied with what that degree is going to afford me, seeing where others went. I have a clear defined goal, so im going to go back to school at Art Center Pasadena to get a Bachelor of Arts in Transportation Design this August. good bye planet earth for the next 4 years.......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
reflux said:
Newflash: nobody likes being in a classroom for 6 hours a day, let alone having to pay attention and learn. Cut the crap and just tell me you didn't want it bad enough.
pick the right courses and 6 hours a day is actually fun. i certainly didn't enjoy ALL of my coursework, but a good deal of it was great. and all of it, late nights, deadlines, finals and all, is far superior to the working life imo.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
BS in Geography with concentrations in GIS and Town Planning.......minor in Sociology.

I'm an IT Engineer......GIS was fairly technical so I guess I am kind of using my degree (not really). :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am just finished up my Junior year as an Information Systems major. Basically i really like alot of my coarsework. It got me an internship at Bayer corporation the past 2 summers. So that is why you monkeys will see me around the boards sooooo much. speaking of back to work...gotta run

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Bachelor's in Accounting. I am now an Assistant Controller for Lincoln Mercury.

College was the best thing ever, I laugh at my younger MTB buddies that are still there and bragging how they are going to graduate a semester early. If I would have known I would have stayed forever.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
My 1st post..

BA in Geography University of Illinois Chicago '94. Currently working for a Remote Sensing Company in Denver. The degree helped in getting into the industry.

"Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, we may never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
BSEE from Western Illinois University.

I'm a consultant. Last job I did was Navy Nuclear Power Distribution for the next generation aircraft carrier and sub. I have 3 jobs on the table right now, a train car, Chinook helicopter fuselage, and the structure for an ICBM.

My degree relates to my job sometimes.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
and all of it, late nights, deadlines, finals and all, is far superior to the working life imo.
:thumb: :stupid:

Bachelor's in Management. Worked in management several jobs out of college including restaurant and corrugated box plant shipping and rec., and found out that working in mgm't wasn't for me. Now I work in IT for a health insurance company as an EDI Analyst.

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
B.S. in Agricultural Economics from the University of Illinois...probably not a lot of monkeys with that pedigree. I work for a bank that makes large loans to corporate agribusiness such as factory hog farms, genetically engineered seed companies, destroyers of the rain forests, polluters of the earth, and lots of other stuff that goes into putting food on your table.