Quantcast

Collegiate Nationals ROLL CALL

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Current local forcasts are pushing the rain on into Saturday too, with highs in the 50s. Basically, a guaranteed gong show is in order. Friday practice is gonna be a a mess. I'm gonna try to get out there to practice tomorrow.

Who knows what the slalom track will be like...its pretty much clay the whole way down. :monkeydance: <---slip-n-slide monkey

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I'll be in the boone/banner elk area for the weekend and plan on taking a few photos. I really hope it's not as wet as the last time i was up that way.

Couple images from the norba event at sugar this past sumer...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'll be in the boone/banner elk area for the weekend and plan on taking a few photos. I really hope it's not as wet as the last time i was up that way.

Couple images from the norba event at sugar this past sumer...
The irony of that first photo is that probably the two of the South's biggest rippers in elite DH racing are standing in the background in that pic instead of riding. :disgust1:

Bloch, Tyler....:cheers:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
25 hours of sweet road trip action and we're finally here. It's raining pretty good, but at least it's warm. The golf course makes a kick ass slip and slide. Doing it up in the Glen condos at Sugar. Say hi to the rowdy Mines crew.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
25 hours of sweet road trip action and we're finally here. It's raining pretty good, but at least it's warm. The golf course makes a kick ass slip and slide. Doing it up in the Glen condos at Sugar. Say hi to the rowdy Mines crew.
cool I think I'm gonna roll over and get a few runs in tomorrow. it's not gonna get any better, so I actually hope it keeps raining to wash the mud off the rocks.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Bizutch, thanks for the how-to on the dh shuttle. Turns out you can go all the way to the top as well (by turning at the Reserve sign), not just the 3/4 point. They actually are encouraging shuttling during practice tomorrow, rather than taking the lift.

This course is a good time, though there isn't much to it. Point and shoot for the most part. Mud riding is a blast, although slalom is going to be a sh*t show if the rain doesn't stop asap.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
yeah i don't think that doug meant that to come out how it did, they really want people to use the lift more than shuttling since it is private up there sortof....but, i can't say that i won't be shuttling, although i'd rather get mud on the chairlift than my car seats

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Bizutch, thanks for the how-to on the dh shuttle. Turns out you can go all the way to the top as well (by turning at the Reserve sign), not just the 3/4 point. They actually are encouraging shuttling during practice tomorrow, rather than taking the lift.

This course is a good time, though there isn't much to it. Point and shoot for the most part. Mud riding is a blast, although slalom is going to be a sh*t show if the rain doesn't stop asap.
huh? Point and shoot? Mike, are they using the pro entrance to Donovan's Dungeon and the Mutant rock on the left of the slope up top?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
ARRRGGGG!!! Wish I was there! It sounds like you guys are having a ball.

'Tis a bit frustrating, being in great shape, riding a lot, having a bike that's raceable, a lot more experience in roots and the rain, but still being too broke to afford the plane ticket out there!

Hope everyone has a great time, no one gets hurt, and that the CalPoly Wheelmen mix it up. Leland O'Connor is definitely in contention to win this one!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Its so good out there, nice and slick and sloppy.

Butch, they're using the sport entrance to DD. People are going down left and right in the section under the lift. It's getting to that peanut butter consistency though, so things could get even nastier. Still though, I'm having a blast. Gotta go back and do my qualifying run this afternoon.

edit: yeah, the weird rock section at the top is still in the course.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina

Butch, they're using the sport entrance to DD. People are going down left and right in the section under the lift. It's getting to that peanut butter consistency though, so things could get even nastier. Still though, I'm having a blast. Gotta go back and do my qualifying run this afternoon.

Good luck man and rip it up!!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

DAMN! So they took at the entrance to Donovans after we got it rideable for the first time ever...what a shame...but at the same time, it will keep alot of collegiate from getting carted off. I can understand. Be sure to show the thoroughbreds the man line.... :thumb:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Qualifying results:

DI Men:
1 - Brian Buell, FRCC
2 - Chris Shewmake, CU Boulder
3 - Ben Hulse, Lees McRae
4 - Anthony Diaz, Fort Lewis
5 - Leland O'Connor, Cal Poly
6 - Phil Wheeler, CU Boulder
7 - Cody Wilderman, Fort Lewis
8 - Kyle Hickey, UVM
9 - Eli Krahenbuhl, Univ of Wyoming
10 - Chris Mari, CU Boulder

DII Men:
1 - Brandon Turman, Colorado School of Mines
2 - Vaugh Larsen, WWU
3 - Phil Ott, Northern Michigan
4 - Michael Thomas, Appalacian State
5 - Mike Howse, Mesa State
6 - Marshall Roach, Mesa State
7 - Chris Bateman, WWU
8 - Nathan Work, Colorado School of Mines
9 - Luke Tikkanen, Northern Michigan
10 - Eric Freson, Western State

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Today was a frieken blast! Tire choice will be tricky for tomorrows race! Its going to be pretty gummy! Wet scream or custum made minion f that I made into a mud tire, everythign is packing up no matter what! Sick course though, can't wait to bomb down it again!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Today was a frieken blast! Tire choice will be tricky for tomorrows race! Its going to be pretty gummy! Wet scream or custum made minion f that I made into a mud tire, everythign is packing up no matter what! Sick course though, can't wait to bomb down it again!!!
Glad you like it. Too bad you guys don't get to ride the hardest part of the course. After your race run, go up and do the pro entrance to Donovan's dungeon and have some fun with it.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Glad you like it. Too bad you guys don't get to ride the hardest part of the course. After your race run, go up and do the pro entrance to Donovan's dungeon and have some fun with it.
During Thursday's shuttle practice, the 'pro' entrance to Donovan's was taped as the course. Buell and I had it wired, then they changed it to the 'sport' entrance on Friday. It was fun, that's for sure.

Top 3 DI -
1. Cody Wilderman, Ft Lewis
2. Chris Shewmake, CU Boulder
3. Eli Krahenbuhl, Wyoming

Top 3 DII -
1. Phil Ott, Northern Michigan
2. Chris Bateman, WWU
3. Brandon Turman, Colorado School of Mines

Full Results: https://www.usacycling.org/forms/COLLEGIATE MTB 07 - Downhill RESULTS.pdf

more later, it's slalom time!

cshewmake7

Chimp
Aug 7, 2007
Centennial, CO
And they ran the stupidest three run format thing I have ever heard of. And they neglected to use clocks, even though they were available, and just went by the word of some crazy lady as to who finished first. A bit of a rough event, but fun none the less.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good