Quantcast

Colony Colonial 2.5 Piece Cranks ISSUE - need some help

Sep 12, 2004
let me first start by saying this is the worst and most problem filled build ive ever had...and its a single speed street bike...

so i cannot seem to get my new colony cranks to work - the spindle is 6inches long and i dont think colony makes a longer length. the problem is that there is only 12mm of spindle left on the non-drive side for the 48 spline spindle to hook up to and since this is a 2.5 piece setup - i cannot just take spindle away from the drive side and shift it over to the non drive

so again - there is 12mm of free spindle o the non-drive side

the cranks have a 28mm long spline section in them - is 12mm long enough for a safe and strong "bite" if you will on the spindle??

the frame is an ns majesty and the BB is a colony mid 19mm

i just want this bike done so i can freaking ride :banghead:

and yes, i need all the spacers i have on the drive and non-drive to clear the cranks and chainwheel

Last edited:

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
you're running bmx cranks on a mountain bike for one. often times, mountain bikes have a wider bottom bracket shell, hence why profile sells a longer spindle for their cranks so they're usable on a mountain bike. i honestly might have to say you're pretty much SOL here, unfortunately. i'd suggest getting a set of profiles or the like.

Sep 12, 2004
actually - i measured my buds s&m bb shell and its the same width as my "mountain" bike bb shell so that really has nothing to do with it

the only thing that could possibly be different is the widening of the chainstays trying to clear the chainwheel but i am running a 25tooth so its pretty small...

Sep 12, 2004
and here is another "mountain" bike using the fly 2.5 piece cranks which work the exact same way as the colony cranks and have the same spindle length excet these cranks are 22mm...

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
upon seeing a picture of your frame, your issue is that there's a wishbone rear end. this is generally wider, and made to fit a fatter tire, and have shorter chainstays. thus is the reason why you're having trouble fitting your cranks.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
doesn't look like you'll have a safe enough amount of spindle in the other arm. if there's no other way around it, buy a longer profile set and sell the colony off.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I have a Majesty frame, and the spindle is only 5.75" long. The arms are fully engaged.
You have too big of a chainring or something, you shouldn't need anywhere near that number of spacers.
I have a 25T chainring.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Get one that is SMALLER IN DIAMETER. The bash is NOT the reason you have that spaced out so far, unless you are having to add spacers between the arm and the chainring. The smaller the sprocket, the farther in you will be able to place it.
Another thing that will help is to find a chainring that isn't real thick in the center, it will take up less space on the spindle.
HOW MANY TEETH are on the one you have now?
How big is the rear cog?
Is this the gearing you like?
What type of rear hub do you have?
You should be able to go with a 12 at the back with most hubs, allowing you to run a 26 or so on the front, depending on how you like your gearing.

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
Get one that is SMALLER IN DIAMETER. The bash is NOT the reason you have that spaced out so far, unless you are having to add spacers between the arm and the chainring. The smaller the sprocket, the farther in you will be able to place it.
Another thing that will help is to find a chainring that isn't real thick in the center, it will take up less space on the spindle.
HOW MANY TEETH are on the one you have now?
How big is the rear cog?
Is this the gearing you like?
What type of rear hub do you have?
You should be able to go with a 12 at the back with most hubs, allowing you to run a 26 or so on the front, depending on how you like your gearing.
caps wont solve the problem here man, hes already said hes running a 25T.

and the chainring is the problem, it is designed with its overall width to be accomidated. at the spindle, it isnt very thick, but the entire thing is only as thin as its widest section. so to deal with the bashguard, the teething is spaced away from the center, as is the bash. even if you go with a thin chainwheel only, i doubt youll regain enough spindle on the other side to feel safe riding it

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
caps wont solve the problem here man, hes already said hes running a 25T.

and the chainring is the problem, it is designed with its overall width to be accomidated. at the spindle, it isnt very thick, but the entire thing is only as thin as its widest section. so to deal with the bashguard, the teething is spaced away from the center, as is the bash. even if you go with a thin chainwheel only, i doubt youll regain enough spindle on the other side to feel safe riding it
I missed where he said 25, sorry. I see it now. I just don't understand how he's coming up so short, my spindle is 1/4" smaller, and I have lots of spindle showing. Even with the full engagement on the drive side, there should be plenty of spindle left on the other side if it's really 6" long.
That sprocket must either be really thick, or spaced away from the crank arm. Maybe grinding or cutting a slot in the bash so that it clears the arm would get it flush?

Sep 12, 2004
so my plan of attack:

first try my buds 25tooth mosh guard chainwheel with my current setup and see if anything changes which im pretty sure it wont

last resort (which is the next step) buy a standard 3piece set of cranks and sell of these lovely colony cranks

if anyone is looking for a trade - id love some demolition medial 2.0 lts (the colonys are actually lighter even with a steel spindle)

Sep 12, 2004
a 6in spindle will work im 90% sure - the only reason why the 6in spindle doesnt work on the colony cranks is because theyre 2.5 piece cranks meaning the spindle sllides through the outside of the drive side crank and then through the BB meaning i cannot simply take spindle away from the drive side and shift it over to the non-drive side. so i think thats the main problem...or the chainwheel i have but ill see soon enough

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I can't comprehend why you are still confused about this.
You will either be able to shift the drive side arm closer to the chainring, or not.

Jun 25, 2007
Canada
I read your other post. Seems like an bmx compatibility issue that has been completely overlooked. 73mm bb = 5.75" spline????

I noticed a slightly different setup, How did you manage to get the colony cranks to work?