Quantcast

Comfy DH saddle recommendations?

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Any suggestions? I loved my Oddyssey seat. It was big and cushy, but I think the rear was kind of compact. I'd go for a small seat if I could, but for some reason I started getting butt aches over the years of using WTB saddles. Got the Oddyssey and all aching went away. And this is pedaling uphill, not down. The Love Seat that I have is waaaaaaaaaaay too big, so it's gotta go. I got recommended the Marzocchi Karve saddle by universal and Brian, but I'm still not sure? Seemed kind of stiff to me.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I am totally with you guys on the SDG Bel-Air. Awesome seat.

WTB Power V is pretty nice too, a littl ebigger than the Bel-Air.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have tried lighter seats on my race bike but they can't keep me comfortable on a whole weekend of whistler. I have settled on the SDG bel-air as the ultimate compromise on weight and padding.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Titec Berserker DH is nice for my butt. It's really a personal preferance thing though, it's something you really have to try on and see if it fits.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I really prefer smaller, lighter seats on my DH rides. The Bel-Air is a great option. My other favorites are basically high quality, proven XC seats: Selle Italia Flite and Nitrox, Fizik Nisene.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
profro said:
DH seats aren't for sitting on. But I only ride Flites on all my bikes.
Dito. I have a cheap SDG. I bought it b/c it matched my bike, but happens to be very comfortable.
I think its the Belaire. It was way cheap whatever it is. Otherwise I would not have bought it.
I don't like WTB saddles b/c they have a horrible taper- I can't get a good grip with my thighs.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Its all about the Azonic Love seat :)

I found out this weekend that even if you crash hard and knock the saddle off the rails, all it takes is a little bit of gaff tape and your back on the bike :)

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
dw said:
I am totally with you guys on the SDG Bel-Air. Awesome seat.

WTB Power V is pretty nice too, a littl ebigger than the Bel-Air.
I dont know whats with you and those wtb saddles. Those things are uncomfortable and overly bulky.
But Im a huge fan of Selle Italia and SDG saddles.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Get something small and light. I use a SDG Satelite w/ Ti rails. If you're seating then your not going fast enough.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Performance carries a line of SLR-like seats, most with somewhat dropped noses that make them great for offroad. Quality build (must come from the same factories as the branded ones), Ti rails, and a variety of sizes and padding options...and CHEAP.

I like Tioga MC Nico edition kevlars most of all, though. (At least for DH bikes that I won't be sitting down much on).

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I like comfy BMX seats but will be the first to admit they suck for any sort of seated pedalling uphill. I run a Snafu on my DJ bike and am planning to get a Selle Italia SLR for my DH bike (azonicbruce knows whats up) because they are light and all the racers use them, plus I like the way they feel for pedalling.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I have a few in mind to look at now then. My complaint about being uncomfortable isn't when going down.. it's when pedalling up. I thought the XC seats would be better suited for the uphill stuff, but I guess my butt didn't think the same.

HELLBELLY

Chimp
Oct 16, 2001
Hotlanta, GA
The Berserkr is an awesome shaped saddle. I ran them for the last four years. Unfortunately they all fell apart very quickly, including an El Norte. The stitching shreds up and then its new duct tape wraps every few weeks.

The SDG BelAir also rules. It is kinda like a smaller version of a Berserkr and has been pretty durable. It has done time on my single speed for the last two years and is just starting to fray.

I now run a Brooklyn Machine Works saddle in place of my Titecs. I have only had it a few months but it is super burly. The BMW is real comfy too as I use it on my all 'round trail bike. It is not so plush that it gets in yr way but good for long climbs when needed. It has taken some pretty good hits with nary a scratch. Time will tell.

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
I really liked a SDG Gordo I used to have. I have a Love Seat now, and its soooo nice. I don't race, and when I go up, its in a truck, so weight isnt an issue for me.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
mtbman4 said:
SLR= never have kids again
Or a hard-on.

I have:

WTB Speed V for DH (good grip for the thighs and it's tough)
SDG BigBoy for trails (really plush on my old boney butt and it's long enough to move around on alittle)

Chris

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
MikeD said:
Performance carries a line of SLR-like seats, most with somewhat dropped noses that make them great for offroad. Quality build (must come from the same factories as the branded ones), Ti rails, and a variety of sizes and padding options...and CHEAP.
right on man, ive been thinkin about those. cheap, and light as hell!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I have a SDG Bel Air and absolutely hate the thing...however on my Dj bike I have a DK Huck It (nice name) and it rules the world!!!!!!! LOL Okay maybe not the world........... Also Plain leather flites are used on my other bikes, light, durable and no gimmicks that don't work.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
I love my SLR, all 120g of it.

I've crashed the sh*t out of it at Idaho and Durango and its still running fine. I have the Ti railed model and I'm not sure how the others would hold up. Big seats just seem to get in the way.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
SLRs seem to be flimsy a friend of mine breaks his on a regular basis... anyway whatever floats your boat :)

the normal old school flite is where its at. best conventional saddle ever!

just my opinion

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
I broke one SLR last season, but I am only 170lbs so maybe that helps.

I will agree with you on the Flights though! :thumb:
Before I found the SLR it was the only thing I would ride.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
ssaddict said:
I broke one SLR last season, but I am only 170lbs so maybe that helps.

I will agree with you on the Flights though! :thumb:
Before I found the SLR it was the only thing I would ride.
the guy i am referring to weighs in at about 180 to 185 lbs
not really heavy, right?

anyways saddles as most other items on DH bikes are a matter of personal preference(sp?).

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
ug, the berserk sucks!!! my gooch, taint, grudle w/e still hurts from when i owned one last year.!