jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Done.

Goal 1 - don't die: check
Goal 2 - complete in under 2 hours: check
Goal 3 - have fun: check

My strategy was to hang back during the swim (my weak leg) so I don't drown and so I didn't get in anyone's way. It was pretty much a clusterf*ck for the first 300 yards or so until people got spaced out. Once there was some space I was able to settle in and was pretty comfortable.

I threw on my socks/shoes, helmet, and riding jersey that I stocked with my sunglasses and power gell, grabbed my bike and took off. I felt pretty good at this point.

It took me about 200 yards to realize I was WAY faster than anyone else around me. I passed about 10 people right off the bat, then stopped to help someone having chain/shifting problems. Got back on the bike and had to conciously think about not pushing too hard. I was passing people left and right which made me want to ride even harder, but I paced myself for the run. All told I think I probably passed 40 people on the ride.

At the transition I dumped my helmet and bike, changed my shoes, and trotted off.

The first section of the run had a few rolling hills over uneven path, then a STEEP climb. I had a very hard time getting into any rhythm so this was definitely the hardest part of the tri. Once I got to the top of the hill and things leveled off I got into a good stride and was happy with my pace.

I didn't have a watch with me so I had no idea about my time at any point during the race.

As I finished my run and came to the finish line I saw the clock and said right out loud, "holy f*ck!" 1:32:15 - I couldn't believe it.

1/2 mile swim: 22:37
transition 1: 2:20
12 mile ride: 39:05
transition 2: 0:58
3.1 mile run: 27:14
FINISHING TIME: 1:32:15 (84th out of 142)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Congratulations!!! I've never had the balls to enter a triathlon because I'm the worlds worst swimmer, no sense of directions and (so I've been told) the worst form imaginable. I have done numerous "adventure" races where you bike, kayak & run, smoothly transitioning form each leg isn't always easy. Running after biking is always harder than biking after running... I've always heard that biking after a cold swim isn't easy.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
awesome job.

I'm doing my first tri in september, can't wait to see how it goes. Good to see another person here into triathlons.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, even though they are really annoying bike people, tri geeks are fun after races.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Awesome. I need to get your pm or email you. I've set a goal to do a x-sprint tri next summer (lake swim, xc mtb and trail run) to propel myself to get in better shape at 45 y.o.

Congrats on the awesome finish and time. And mostly for having fun!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Good Job!

Did they show how you ranked on each leg ?

I know when I did mine I finished Mid-pack but seriously kicked ass on the bike.
I finally got the breakdowns...

Swim leg - 22:37, 115th fastest time, 115th place overall
Transition 1 - 2:20, 78th fastest time, 114th place overall
Bike leg - 39:05, 46th fastest time, 78th place overall
Transition 2 - 0:58, 136th fastest time, 120th place overall
Run leg - 27:14, 82nd fastest time, 84th place overall

Which is actually kind of funny - I felt really slow during my first transition (couldn't get my jersey on right) but it turns out I did pretty well. I felt pretty good about my second transition, but turns out I all but the slowest. I felt slow on my run, but turned out to be pretty decent.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Good Job! You did really well on the bike portion :) I always wanted to do a triathlon, but my idea of swimming is doggy paddling in circles :hmm:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Congrats Jackson!! I've got a bunch of Sprints coming up and a Olympic distance in Sept.!! I've kinda been biten by the Tri bug lately. Good stuff! :thumb: