Quantcast

Computer Suggestions...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
You didn't do any of the computer build yourself?
He did after I put it together once and wrote him a tutorial to re-assemble after he got his motherboard RMA'd ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
He did after I put it together once and wrote him a tutorial to re-assemble after he got his motherboard RMA'd ;)
Oh man his MOBO went bad....
It's easy putting the computer together and getting it up and running. It's getting the software running smooth thats the problem for me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Well, his motherboard was DOA, we could even get the damn system to give us an error code...
YIKES!!!
I'm going to try to RMA my old MOBO when I get my new one.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
Do you like the parts I posted above?
Mostly yes. You saved a bit on the mobo, I would've stuck with an Asus board. Except for Narlus' RMA, (first DOA Asus board I've seen) they are usually very reliable.

After you set it all up, use these to check everything:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/

Don't go overclocking right at first, just run CPU Burn-in and Speed Fan to check the temps. This will help to make sure the heatsink, etc is all set right.

Have fun.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually I've recently seen several DOA boards from Asus... I think thier Q.C. might be taking a bit of a nosedive. I went with a Gigabyte and have been happy with it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
Actually I've recently seen several DOA boards from Asus... I think thier Q.C. might be taking a bit of a nosedive. I went with a Gigabyte and have been happy with it.
Hmm.

Until about a year ago, that's all the IT dept at my work would spec for the systems we used. Never a problem.

Then the big-wigs got everyone on Dell machines.

:(

I guess the quality issues are a recent thing.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Doooh! I'm about to place my order....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok I submitted the order now no more discussion about my parts. I don't want to doubt what I've done.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I hear that ATI video cards have been really sucking for recent games... Seems like nVidia is way ahead of them in regards to compatibility and the best feature set.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
I hear that ATI video cards have been really sucking for recent games... Seems like nVidia is way ahead of them in regards to compatibility and the best feature set.
so! the one I got has a cool colored fan.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
so! the one I got has a cool colored fan.
;)

I have the same case, by the way, and just so you know, there's a little tunnel built into the side panel to exhaust air off of the CPU. Well, it's made for Intel CPUs, so it doesn't line up with the AMD CPU. Just undo the four plastic screws that hold the exhaust tunnel on and remove it entirely.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
;)

I have the same case, by the way, and just so you know, there's a little tunnel built into the side panel to exhaust air off of the CPU. Well, it's made for Intel CPUs, so it doesn't line up with the AMD CPU. Just undo the four plastic screws that hold the exhaust tunnel on and remove it entirely.
Cool thanks for the hint. I've been wanting this case for a while.

I love the other horizontal cases they make for Media CPU's.
I've always wanted to build one of thoes up.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
;)

It doesn't line up perfectly, but it helps a little bit.

Run Speed Fan with and without it and you'll notice at least a few degrees difference.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
H8R said:

Run Speed Fan with and without it and you'll notice at least a few degrees difference.
I own a dremel so maybe I can re-configure it.

Can you answer my hard drive question above.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
I didn't buy an audio card yet either.
If you got the Asus card the on-board audio will be fine unless you're making this into an audio production machine.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
H8R said:
If you got the Asus card the on-board audio will be fine unless you're making this into an audio production machine.
Ok cool, I was pretty happy with the audio on my MSI Mobo previously so I wasn't sure if I needed an audio card.

The video card I purchased will work with the Asus mobo you suggested correct?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
H8R said:

Actually, when I removed it, I noticed a one degree increase in CPU temperature, and a four degree decrease in ambient case temperature... I kinda f**ks with the airflow of the case.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Actually, when I removed it, I noticed a one degree increase in CPU temperature, and a four degree decrease in ambient case temperature... I kinda f**ks with the airflow of the case.
Do you have a thermometer to pick up the ambient case temp?

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
stosh said:
So here's a weird question...
I have a HD with Widows all kinds of stuff on it, can I just plug it in to the MOBO once everything is up and running and will windows boot up?
I would have to say that is probably not going to work, based on previous experience of system rebuilds (Had a working PC, changed the mobo, had to reinstall windows). You never know, but I would start the backups now just in case.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Darkreaper said:
I would have to say that is probably not going to work, based on previous experience of system rebuilds (Had a working PC, changed the mobo, had to reinstall windows). You never know, but I would start the backups now just in case.
Ha, I can't backup the HD because I can't access it.

Can I re-install windows without formatting the HD?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
Ha, I can't backup the HD because I can't access it.

Can I re-install windows without formatting the HD?
Windows will often boot, but it's usually not a good idea to run it like that permanently. Your best bet is to boot it up, make backups, then format and re-install.

Worst case, if the drive won't boot, buy an inexpensive new drive, install Windows on that, and install the old drive as a secondary drive.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Windows will often boot, but it's usually not a good idea to run it like that permanently. Your best bet is to boot it up, make backups, then format and re-install.

Worst case, if the drive won't boot, buy an inexpensive new drive, install Windows on that, and install the old drive as a secondary drive.
Maybe thats what I'll do....
There were a few other cheap things I needed to order from Newegg so maybe I'll order a cheap drive too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My case came last night and the rest of the parts will be here today. I f'ing love shoping on the internet!!!!