Quantcast

Concealed carry anyone?

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Didn't want to hijack a thread so this is a continuation.

bibs said:
when I turned 21 I also got my C.W.P. and carreid for years. Until one day when somehitng kinda crazy happened. Dont get me wrong Im pro gun, but unless your a cop. Carrying a gun is a dangerous thing, either to you or thge other person that will sue you or his family will come after you. I read alot about it, and then after some one tried to break into my house and steal my guns (all 15 of them) I changed my ways. but more power to you. :thumb:
Bibs,

I carry my handgun because the police can't be everywhere at the same time. We do not have the luxury of knowing when bad things may happen to us only the person or persons wanting to cause harm know that. I carry my handgun to protect my family and loved ones from grave bodily harm or death. I have extensive training in concealed carry with on going education and training classes every year. I carry my handgun because I choose NOT to be a victim. I'm sure some of you may have heard this saying but here goes "Its better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6".

Carrying a hundgun is a HUGE responsibilty and should never be taken lightly. If you do choose to carry take lots of classes (Oregon Firearms Academy) is a very good school by Eugene. I respect your decission to not carry as well as you respecting my right to carry. I know that you may think only the police are responsible enough to carry a firearm in public. People who carry full time usually have a different outlook on things. Because we carry, if you cut us off in traffic we will usually wave you by. We ignore confrontation and walk away at all costs. We don't get into fist fights or go looking for trouble. We are usually very aware of our surroundings and tend to be very alert.

bibs said:
"Carrying a gun is a dangerous thing, either to you or thge other person that will sue you or his family will come after you.
I think I have stated that carrying a gun should not be taken lightly to give someone a power trip when they are younger. I can tell you this, If a CHL holder has to use his gun to protect a life he will be sued by someone. It will cost upwards of $20,000 at a minimum even if you are justified in taking a life. With that being said lots of people shy away. Your firearm should only be used if you or your loved ones are facing grave harm or death. This means if you do nothing or have nothing to defend yourself with someone you love or you yourself are going to die. Is that worth 20,000, you bet it is. Would I yank out my gun and yell "FREEZE SUCKA" if someone is breaking into a car, not at all.

Maybe some of you have heard of Mark Wilson he was recently killed by a crazed guy with a illegal full auto ak that was at the courthouse in Texas. Mark was a CHL holder and drew his weapon and hit the guy 2 times before getting shot himself and dying. The guy later died from his wounds. How many lives did he save by this selfless act? I would have liked to think I would have done the same thing but hopefully would have found cover first and lived to tell about it. Bottom line is cops can't be everywhere at the time a violent crime happens. Take it for whats its worth and Ill see you guys on the trails. :cool:

Enough about guns,

I get my new bike in a week and I am very excited. Its a 2001 Bullit with XTR and should be alot of fun

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mhpoole said:
Maybe some of you have heard of Mark Wilson he was recently killed by a crazed guy with a illegal full auto ak that was at the courthouse in Texas. Mark was a CHL holder and drew his weapon and hit the guy 2 times before getting shot himself and dying. The guy later died from his wounds. How many lives did he save by this selfless act? I would have liked to think I would have done the same thing but hopefully would have found cover first and lived to tell about it. Bottom line is cops can't be everywhere at the time a violent crime happens. Take it for whats its worth and Ill see you guys on the trails. :cool:
interesting points, but your mark wilson story seems different from the one the news outfits are reporting ( http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=997567&tw=wn_wire_story )

When gunfire erupted in the Tyler town square, Mark Alan Wilson didn't hesitate: He grabbed a Colt .45 handgun and charged downstairs from his apartment to confront the shooter.

[...]

Arroyo fatally shot Wilson with an AK-47 semiautomatic weapon.

[...]

Police shot and killed Arroyo following a chase that lasted several miles.

[...]

Wilson's actions have drawn hearty praise from gun advocates who say he probably saved more lives than just Arroyo's son. But gun control groups say Wilson's death proves that carrying a gun increases a person's chances of getting killed.

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Since about 90% of the media is Democrat you have to expect stories to be spun a certain way. There is no way they are going to praise CHL carriers its just not going to happen. Not sure if Mark Wilson had any training or not but he did violate one the basic rules in a firefight. SEEK COVER

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
More comming out on this story.

From the 3/3/05 Tyler Morning Telegraph:

Michael Mosley, 42, of Winona, TX, a security officer with Southwestern Security Services, Inc., stationed in the U.S. Attorney's downtown Tyler office, has been identified from photos taken at the scene.

Mosley, speaking through his boss in Houston, says that he did not fire his weapon.

According to witnesses, Mosley pulled up in his car during the shooting, exitted the driver's side door, drew his weapon, and laid across the hood of his car, pointing his sidearm in the direction of the shooter.

According to Nelson Clyde, III, publisher of the Tyler newspaper, he saw three men engaged in a gunfight from his 2nd floor vantage point overlooking the shooting scene. Clyde said that it appeared that Mosely fired on the shooter, distracting him. At this point, Wilson, who died in the exchange, took the shooter under fire, was shot and fatally wounded. After killing Wilson, the shooter then again took Mosley under fire.

Other witnesses report that during the exchange, Mosley took positions across the hood and on the ground with his weapon aimed at the shooter.

Witnesses suggest that the first people to take the shooter under fire were in fact these two civilians.

By this time, the area was swarming with law enforcement officers. The shooter wounded three LEOs and calmly drove from the area. After about 2-3 miles, the shooter, stopped his truck in the middle of the street, stepped out and began firing at the pursuing LEOs.

Reports say that two officers using AR-type rifles shot and killed the shooter with wounds to either the head and/or neck.

The shooter's weapon, a MAK-90 is being traced by ATF.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I carry sometimes because of my occupation. I carry sometimes because people do and have been assaulted while waiting at redlights, walking through a parking lot at night or walking in on a burglary in progress...

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Touchy topic from any given perspective. I will add I have had no problems myself in the 15+ years I have carried. I have had the need for business and basic protection in some areas I have had to be in three states. I know several others that carry and they are some of the most ethicly responsible and safety concious people I have ever met. The few I have run across that flash the fact they are licensed by displaying for minor cause, threaten action to bully others or are just obviously unsafe with their responsibility I personally make it a point the license is ultimately revoked and not issued to that individual again. For people who are concerned about people like me, well I am concerned about them to. Maybe the worried who aren't armed should ban rocks, as I am more likely (as are my friends) to just pick up a rock and hit you with that rather than ever draw a firearm. Never drink and carry, never carry in anger, and never point at something you can't afford to lose forever (any life) unless left with absolutly no choice. I also don't buy into those who have weapons for protection who haven't trained with them and don't practice. Those people are dangerous.

Im not saying that carring is bad, and I agree with what you say. But the stats of a man who carries VS. the man that is illegal and started teh "conflict" are not good. I dont want to be a victim, but since I stopped carring I have never been in a situation where I had to worry about it. I could go on and explian my whole story but its not worth your time(and Id get bored half way through) :D Guns are fun and I was raised around them and know it all about them. I just feel for me, I dont carry anymore after I almost pulled my gun on a guy for stabbing a harmless victim. I almost was a police officer. But like I said, to each their own...If weever meet and you are carring..I would not care at all..I dont get offened..I just learned a different lesson. thats all..guns are fun! ;)

i just finished watching trailer park boys and there was a guy flashing his gun around and getting up in everyone's face with it. then i read this. i know personally a few people that carry, and i never knew untill i saw then take jackets off after almost a year of knowing them. most people that choose to carry are mature enough to know that it's not a symbol, or a status thing, it's not a shiny belt buckle. it's kept concealed, and probobly never taken out in public. it's there as an absolute worst case senerio option. I myself will carry when i'm older, and undrestand what it means to do so.

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
bibs said:
oh yea, what bike are you getting? :D
2001 Bullit with XTR goodies. It will be my first real bike in a long time.

Yes guns are alot of fun to go out with your buddies and shoot. I hope most people understand that carrying concealed is a whole other ballgame. Im not sure if I would really carry while riding trails maybe street, but I dont want to fall on that side. That would be very bad indeed.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
HMMMMM??? I relate the carrying of a gun to a friend of mine. He always talks about this fight, and that fight that he got into. Everytime he says, he didn't start it. He happened into it. He's been in so many that it has become a joke when he brings it up. He definitely plays a role in every fight or situation, even though he doesn't think so. Have most of you been in multiple bloody fights? Probably not. Carrying a gun everyday, I relate because, with a gun all the time you tend to 'happen' into situations moreso than a non carrying individual. I think more than not, that these people want the confrontation on some level. You may say no, but it tends to be more primal than you'd expect with some folks. It actually scares me to see people packin'. Life is full of risks. It just seems that making sure you're seatbelt is on is a more sensible attempt at protecting a life as an example. Chances are that the gun toter will get run over or trip and hit their head before that gun will get pulled for a legitimate reason. It's overkill. There are better things to worry about. My 2 cents. Don't hate me.

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Sounds to me like your friend is looking for a reason. Most serious CHL holders lead a normal life and don't put themselves in situations where confrontations happen often. I dont know you or your friend but thats just what it seems like. Also sounds like he could benifit from some training or some maturity and understand the gravity of what COULD happen if he gets involved :nope: . Most times its better to be a good witness than a hero. :thumb:

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
sorry to say your friend is far from the typical person with a CC license around here or anywhere I've seen for that matter.

It's not the properly trained, level headed, responsable, concealed carrying citizens I'm worried about.....It's the rest of them. I'm not sure which is the majority. It seems like the morons are the majority, but I think that's only because they are more visible. If you are good gun carrying citizen....nobody should ever know you have one. I wish all gun owners were required to take proper training.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have really mixed feelings on the whole issue. Would I want a gun for the protection of myself and loved ones? Most likely. However, although I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think this might be a problem, I am, quite honestly, a bit frightened by the fact that I would even have the potential to do something I would regret. Everyone knows one cannot think completely rationally when under such sudden, extreme stress. Again, not that I would use it incorrectly; anyone who knows me well would agree that I absolutely hate violence, even as a last resort. Were I to shoot someone, even if they were threatening a loved one with a gun, I don't know if I could ever forgive myself. But on the contrary, it would be even harder to forgive myself had the said loved one been murdered.

I just don't know.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
PsychO!1 said:
It's not the properly trained, level headed, responsable, concealed carrying citizens I'm worried about.....It's the rest of them. I'm not sure which is the majority. It seems like the morons are the majority, but I think that's only because they are more visible. If you are good gun carrying citizen....nobody should ever know you have one. I wish all gun owners were required to take proper training.
sames to be said about a drivers license... anythings deadly when used negligently

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Tully said:
I have really mixed feelings on the whole issue. Would I want a gun for the protection of myself and loved ones? Most likely. However, although I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think this might be a problem, I am, quite honestly, a bit frightened by the fact that I would even have the potential/I] to do something I would regret. Everyone knows one cannot think completely rationally when under such sudden, extreme stress. Again, not that I would use it incorrectly; anyone who knows me well would agree that I absolutely hate violence, even as a last resort. Were I to shoot someone, even if they were threatening a loved one with a gun, I don't know if I could ever forgive myself. But on the contrary, it would be even harder to forgive myself had the said loved one been murdered.

I just don't know.

I can honestly say if someone were about to cause such harm or death to me or a loved one I would not hesitate to end their life. This person has no regard for life and wants yours, for what? It is normal to second guess after the fact, but thats why you need training and plenty of it. So if THAT day ever did come you would have the proper training to protect the ones you love.

For someone to say "I dont think I could do it" belive me if someone is going to end your life you would probably change your mind quickly. Not to get to graphic or anything but I think if someone were sticking you with a knife over and over and you still say you wouldn't shoot its probably best just to lay there and take it until your dead. You better hope you have a friend with a good head on his shoulders and a CHL otherwise its over for you. I just cant understand that type of mentality and probably is the true definition of "sheeple".

Short for "Sheep people." A member of the mindless masses that shows charactaristics shared with sheep, including limited mental capacity, as well as showing herd behavior, depending on the views and opinions of the people around them. Synonym: Stupid people Antonym: Individuals

sheeple
short for sheep people

A marketing term used to describe people who act in direct reaction to saturation advertising, meaning they are the ones who immediately buy the fad products or trendy clothes to go along with the crowd. It is a nickname given to those whose purchasing habits make up demographics of 80 percent

A political term, generally used in reference to the American people, referring to those who follow the flock rather than take the time to think for themselves in any capacity.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
My friend is an example only. You missed the point. Most people that pack, are on some level looking for a confrontation. You can't grab your gun every morning off the nightstand, slip it into the holster without contemplating whether this is the day, or just be reminded of what the gun represents. In my mind, it seems that the more a person is reminded (by looking at the gun for example), the more he or she gains a mentality that revolves around it. For example, The young kids in the Arab world surrounded by rants about war, hatred, etc. The more they are reminded or exposed to that sort of belief, the more they think it is normal and right. Is it right? Not at all. Training you say? No amount of training can reverse an inate sense to protect oneself. Protecting yourself is in everyones mind. It's normal. Reminding yourself everyday by carrying a gun in your pants is not. IMO.

Peace Brotha's!!!!!!

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Guns is bad mmkay.

Actually, I went to school this Monday and found out that some guy was pointing as gun at me last weekend, and I didn't even know. He was threatening the car though, not me specifically. I think I must have given him a bad look for having a confederate flag hitch receiver cover, and a redneck truck.

I don't think people need guns 'cos "a cop won't always be around", how many times were you in a situation in your life where pulling a gun could've helped?? Seriously?

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
ioscope said:
I don't think people need guns 'cos "a cop won't always be around", how many times were you in a situation in your life where pulling a gun could've helped?? Seriously?
True, the statistics are quite low for being the victim of an attack, and if you do happen to be involved in one all chances are it's a family member or close friend who will be the attacker.

That being said, all it takes is one time and your life could be gone. Better to carry a self defense weapon and never need it then need one and not have it. And if you do trust the police to protect you, think again. Even most cops will tell you it simply can't be done. If they're in the right place at the right time you may get lucky, but otherwise you're on your own to defend yourself.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
mhpoole said:
I can honestly say if someone were about to cause such harm or death to me or a loved one I would not hesitate to end their life. This person has no regard for life and wants yours, for what? It is normal to second guess after the fact, but thats why you need training and plenty of it. So if THAT day ever did come you would have the proper training to protect the ones you love.

For someone to say "I dont think I could do it" belive me if someone is going to end your life you would probably change your mind quickly.
I didn't say I wouldn't pull the trigger, I just said that I would hate the feeling of having killed someone, but not as much as the feeling of having watched as a loved one died. So in a word, yes. I would do it if necessary. Violence (not Hollywood-style, but real violence) bothers me; it's just that simple, and some people don't understand that. As for the whole 'sheeple' thing, my opinion is just that: not what people would have you think (that goes for both sides of the issue), but how I feel.

I do think, though, that the government must pass another assualt weaopns ban. Letting it expire was completely irresponsible, and could not possibly result in anything good.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I can think of about 100 situations in my life where adding a gun into the equation would have made the situation worse or much worse.

I can't think of any where a gun being introduced would have made the situation better or less volatile. Personally, I don't live in an area where I feel that I need to be ready to kill a human being every time I leave the house.

If I did, I'd spend money on moving instead of on a handgun, but that's just me...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Well, that fella today, you shot him alright.

H-hell yeah. I killed the hell out of him... three shots... he was takin' a sh-sh-**** an'... an'...

The kid is shaking, becoming hysterical, and Munny hands the bottle back.

Take a drink, kid.

(breaking down, crying) Oh Ch-ch-christ it don't... it don't seem... real... how he's DEAD... How he ain't gonna breathe no more... n-n-never. Or the other one neither... On account of... of just... pullin' a trigger.

It's a hell of a thing, ain't it, killin' a man. You take everythin' he's got... an' everythin' he's ever gonna have...

Well, I gu-guess they had it comin.

We all got it comin kid.

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Tully,

Im not going to get to far into the semi-auto rifles or "Assault rifles" as the media has called them because this is hardly the crowd that for a reasonable discussion on the subject. I will however say that banning a weapon based on a couple features like a bayonet lug and a folding stock is pure insanity and could only come from the left. These weapons fire one time each time the trigger is depressed just like any other weapon. Trying to ban a weapon from the mass of gun lovers because of a few idiots is again idiotic. Should we ban cars because of drunk drivers? Should we ban airplanes, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Put it into perspective and just because you don't like guns does't mean there aren't a lot of people who enjoy shooting.

You know what gun kills more people than any? A .22 cal rifle which is a rifle kids start to shoot when they are young, should we ban those also? Handguns kill WAY more people than any type of semi-auto rifle. Do you see a ban comming on handguns, no way the public would never have it. Ahhhh but the EVIL assault rifle "looks" scary bbaaaaaa bbaaaaaaa they will follow. You know alot of people use these guns for hunting, they are accurate and very durable and can only have a 5 round magazine while hunting. I personally dont use one for hunting, but I will not have some liberal telling me otherwise. The ban expired because most reasonable thinking people realize it did NOTHING to reduce crime.

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Silver said:
I can think of about 100 situations in my life where adding a gun into the equation would have made the situation worse or much worse.

I can't think of any where a gun being introduced would have made the situation better or less volatile. Personally, I don't live in an area where I feel that I need to be ready to kill a human being every time I leave the house.

If I did, I'd spend money on moving instead of on a handgun, but that's just me...
If you can think of a 100 situations where a adding a gun would have made it worse you shouldn't own a gun. There should only be one situation and that would be if you life is about to end. To have the mindset that a violent crime can only happen in unsafe areas is indeed niave. :help:

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
mhpoole said:
Trying to ban a weapon from the mass of gun lovers because of a few idiots is again idiotic. Should we ban cars because of drunk drivers? Should we ban airplanes, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Put it into perspective and just because you don't like guns does't mean there aren't a lot of people who enjoy shooting.
That's why I have mixed feelings about it. If they were only used for hunting/sport shooting/other harmless stuff, I wouldn't care; it's just that they're not. But although I say that, I drive a car, and I want cars allowed because I use them resopnsibly, and like you pointed out, the idiots ruin it for everyone. If I were a gun user, as I am a car user, I'm sure my opinion would change in their favor. And as for the assualt weapons thing, I was under the impression that assualt weapons were full-automatic, and I was not aware they're used for hunting. Now that I know they're not, I understand why the ban didn't and wouldn't help anything.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
mhpoole said:
If you can think of a 100 situations where a adding a gun would have made it worse you shouldn't own a gun. There should only be one situation and that would be if you life is about to end. To have the mindset that a violent crime can only happen in unsafe areas is indeed niave. :help:
You totally missed my point.

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
Guns are for the weak. I can't imagine living life in so in fear of being harmed that I'd want to carry a weapon to protect myself. I don't have a family but I can't see my views changing if I did. If your so scared of being shot stay home. Don't drive a car or fly. I sure as hell wouldn't be riding mtn bikes, much too dangerous. I'm not scared of being shot, if it happened it happened. I doubt I'd look back on it and think, "Damn, I'm dead I really wish I had a gun then to kill that guy". I don't think you should want kill anybody ever in any circumstance even if they're trying to kill you. I'd rather take my chances with my bare fists or maybe a nice easton baseball bat if one was available. I'm not all religous or anything I just think it's for the weak. I think guns designed to kill humans should be outlawed but thats just my oppinion. It would sure be alot more entertaining to see criminals on COPS running around with hunting rifles.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I don't really care if people carry but if they are really so concerned with the safety of themselves and their loved ones why don't they insist that everyone in their car wear a helmet including themselves since they are much more likely to die in a car accident than by some random crime.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
thesacrifice said:
sames to be said about a drivers license... anythings deadly when used negligently
However guns are unique in that they are designed specifically to kill. They have no other purpose.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Guntruck said:
I'm not scared of being shot, if it happened it happened. I doubt I'd look back on it and think, "Damn, I'm dead I really wish I had a gun then to kill that guy". I don't think you should want kill anybody ever in any circumstance even if they're trying to kill you.
So your life carries no value to you? If you were ever in a situation in which your life is in danger and you could do something about it, you'd just stand by and say it's fate? The last statement really confuses me though. If someone is beating the crap out of you with every intention to kill you, you're telling me you would have NO feelings of retaliation, anger, or rage to the point where you'd want to take his life?

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
Honeywell said:
So your life carries no value to you? If you were ever in a situation in which your life is in danger and you could do something about it, you'd just stand by and say it's fate? The last statement really confuses me though. If someone is beating the crap out of you with every intention to kill you, you're telling me you would have NO feelings of retaliation, anger, or rage to the point where you'd want to take his life?
No, you missed my whole point. I would definitley want to stop them and hurt them as much as possible. Hence the Easton. But I don't want to kill anybody, ever. I guess if you were to ask... It's either you or him? I'd say me. I suppose I just dont think I would want to go through life living with the fact that I'd knowingly killed somebody. I've never been in that situation so who knows what I'd really do. Everyone dies, I'd rather get shot than shoot somebody and die of colon cancer.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Guntruck said:
But I don't want to kill anybody, ever...I suppose I just dont think I would want to go through life living with the fact that I'd knowingly killed somebody. I've never been in that situation so who knows what I'd really do.
That's pretty much how I feel. Like I said before, the only feeling worse than killing someone would be watching them kill someone in cold blood.

I think carrying a stun gun might be a better idea. No one dies (well, a couple people have, but those are freak incidents), yet the attacker is held off. Apparently, the really high-quality ones work from up to 15' away, but they cost $400-$600. If any cops are reading this, from roughly what distance are most people shot?

Here's an easy solution for all of us. 1) Dont put yourself in a situation that would make it nessecary to need a gun. 2) If you are in that situation, change your surroundings. 3) If your SOOOO paranoid about being jacked that you need to carry a hand cannon, you need to move up north to like Montana or N Dakota and live on a mountain top with your wife and 2 kids. That way you dont have to worry about needing to use all your various weapons on the guy trying to take your wallet. Now all you need to worry about is the ATF coming to knock on your door...

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
genpowell71 said:
Here's an easy solution for all of us. 1) Dont put yourself in a situation that would make it nessecary to need a gun. 2) If you are in that situation, change your surroundings. 3) If your SOOOO paranoid about being jacked that you need to carry a hand cannon, you need to move up north to like Montana or N Dakota and live on a mountain top with your wife and 2 kids. That way you dont have to worry about needing to use all your various weapons on the guy trying to take your wallet. Now all you need to worry about is the ATF coming to knock on your door...
If you think a guy trying to take your wallet is the same as someone trying to take your life you are sadly mistaken. However if that same guy takes your wallet and then after leaps and slits your wife or girlfriends throat while your shakin in your boots you're S.O.L. Obviously you dont understand the difference or don't think it can happen to you. While some of you may think CHL holders are looking for any excuse to pull our weapons and show how tough we are it is the oposite in reality. We simply have the tools and if properly trained may have a better outcome than a person with nothing. We choose not to be a victim and simply lay there and die. This is probably what you think most CHL holders wet dream situation. http://www.the-roberts.info/gallery/albums/GTFriends/collateral.mpg

Anyone who thinks changing your surroundings is going to keep you safe is also being naive. While staying alert of your surroundings you may have a better chance of identifying your attacker if it should happen without tools or the training you mine as well just stand there and close your eyes. And yes if we knew when and where an attacker would attack it would make it easy wouldn't it. The problem is you don't know when or where it could happen.

Statistics may say you have a better chance of being hit by a car most likely if you stand in the road. You might also think by never walking in the road your safe. And while you're in your little bubble you don't see the drunk guy avoiding cars and slamming onto the sidewalk right behind you. For those people who think CHL holders are paranoid, you might try thinking outside the box for once and you may have your eyes opened to reality.

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Tully said:
That's pretty much how I feel. Like I said before, the only feeling worse than killing someone would be watching them kill someone in cold blood.

I think carrying a stun gun might be a better idea. No one dies (well, a couple people have, but those are freak incidents), yet the attacker is held off. Apparently, the really high-quality ones work from up to 15' away, but they cost $400-$600. If any cops are reading this, from roughly what distance are most people shot?
Stats say most gun fights are between 5 to 7 feet. The magic number for stopping an attacker is 21ft. That means if an attacker is running full speed at you with a bat, knife etc and you confront him at 21ft you may have a chance of surviving if you have a gun and are trained. There was a story where a husband and wife were having a dispute. They were in the kitchen they wife grabbed a kitchen knife and husband had his gun .357 and as she charged him he shot her 6 times. Before she died he needed 400 stitches for his wounds and lived.

One reason she may have still got to him is he was not properly trained on where to shoot or didn't train for failure to stop drills. It is possible to make an attacker stop instantly if you have the shot. An example is 2 shots to center mass and if attacker is still upright, you go for pelvis or head without getting to graphic. Handguns are poor for stopping an attacker in most cases unless the person is trained on where to shoot, 9 out of 10 people survive a gunfight when getting shot.