Quantcast

Congressman resigns after e-mails questioned

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/29/congressman.e.mails.ap/index.html

Rep. Mark Foley, R-Florida, resigned from Congress on Friday, effective immediately, in the wake of questions about e-mails he wrote a former male page.
Efforts to reach the boy were unsuccessful, but he told the St. Petersburg Times last November, "I thought it was very inappropriate. After the one about the picture, I decided to stop e-mailing him back." The Times didn't publish the comments until Friday.
Who knew NAMBLA got somebody elected.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, isn't this the kinda thing libs have been trying to get us to 'accept'..???
Having the hots for a male page isn't all that bad. Doing it in a manner that is considered sexual harrasment is, doing it while married ain't so smart either.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
If he were a DEMOCRAT he would be defended and made a hero for some "progressive" cause. That is the truth. Since he is a REPUBLICAN he resigns and apologises in shame.

I say he should move to South Beach and run as a liberal democrat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If he were a DEMOCRAT he would be defended and made a hero for some "progressive" cause. That is the truth. Since he is a REPUBLICAN he resigns and apologises in shame.

I say he should move to South Beach and run as a liberal democrat.
I really think it just goes to prove that conservative Republicans are just a bunch of repressed homosexuals, NTTIAWWT. Maybe if he were allowed to marry a same sex partner he wouldn't have had to defraud his wife and family not to mention harrass a co-worker.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I really think it just goes to prove that conservative Republicans are just a bunch of repressed homosexuals, NTTIAWWT. Maybe if he were allowed to marry a same sex partner he wouldn't have had to defraud his wife and family not to mention harrass a co-worker.
most gays dont want the legal hassels of marriage...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
"In the brief but chatty e-mails, which were first reported by ABC News, Foley asked how old the boy was, inquired what he wanted for his birthday, requested a picture of the young man and told him that he had just finished a long bike ride and was going to the gym."

Gay Roadie Fag

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
some of his awards (http://www.house.gov/foley/about/awards.htm):

# Adam Walsh Children's Fund: Appreciation Award
# American Heart Association: Congressional Heart and Stroke Association Recognition - 1999
# Boy Scouts, Crew 204: Appreciation Award
# Children's Fund: Appreciation Award Gala - 1997
# Children's Home Society of Florida
# Children of the Arc: Appreciation Award
# Florida State University: Clock and Seal Award - 1996
# Rotary : Appreciation: Youth Leadership Awards
# Telly Award: Promises to Keep - 1997 [this is our little secret...]
# United Seniors Association: Best Supporting Member
# Watchdogs of the Treasury: Golden Bulldog Award - 2000

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
He should have followed the Barney Frank template and been content in running male prostitutes out of a town house.

This one is odd....

Rep. Jon Hinson (R-Miss.)
On Aug. 8, 1980, during his first reelection bid, Hinson stunned everyone by announcing that in 1976 he had been accused of committing an obscene act at a gay haunt in Virginia. Hinson, married and a strong conservative, added that in 1977 he had survived a fire in a gay D.C. movie theater. He was making the disclosure, he said, because he needed to clear his conscience. But he denied he was a homosexual and refused GOP demands that he resign. Hinson won reelection in a three-way race, with 39 percent of the vote. But three months later, he was arrested on charges of attempted oral sodomy in the restroom of a House office building. He resigned his seat on April 13, 1981.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from the article: "They have taken these e-mails out of context in order to smear a good man,"

ok, in what context are these ok?:
  • "acts much older than his age"
  • "and hes in really great shape
  • "i am just finished riding my bike on a 25 mile journey now heading to the gym"
  • "whats school like for you this year?"
  • "how old are you now?"
  • "send me an email pic of you as well."
this is to say nothing if his refusal to use perfectly good punctuation.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Well, isn't this the kinda thing libs have been trying to get us to 'accept'..???
Repressed republican congress man hitting on underage pages? I think I missed that one.

Having the hots for a male page isn't all that bad. Doing it in a manner that is considered sexual harrasment is, doing it while married ain't so smart either.
I don't think Foley is married?
"What the boy wrote to Foley, who is single, wasn't available."

I don't think the issue is that he's male, its that he was 16 at the time of the e-mails.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
well seeing as how the boy was 16, that makes foley a pedophile, not gay. and since most pedophiles are straight, that makes you a retard.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well seeing as how the boy was 16, that makes foley a pedophile, not gay. and since most pedophiles are straight, that makes you a retard.
not quite.
pedophilia is the attraction to the prepubescent; this is more of a hebephile (or phebophile). this lad was at the age to choose whether or not to consent to a relationship w/ foley. consider the case if the page were a girl, a consensual relationship could have gotten foley charged with statutory rape.

can't speak to your assertion "most pedophiles are straight", as they appear to be opportunists irrespective of their victims' sex. of course, there are exceptions to this rule.

as far as n8 testing below 70 on the intellegence quotient, i haven't seen those results, if they do indeed exist.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
not quite.
pedophilia is the attraction to the prepubescent; this is more of a hebephile (or phebophile). this lad was at the age to choose whether or not to consent to a relationship w/ foley. consider the case if the page were a girl, a consensual relationship could have gotten foley charged with statutory rape.
:banghead: that's what i get for not thouroughly reading the report. i said pedophile because at 16 he is still considered to be a minor. and since the age of consent is 16 for when the adult is 24 years old or younger and all sodomy acts are illegal, he still could have been charged with statutory rape. not to mention broken sodomy laws.(sodomy laws cover all sexual acts that do not lead to procreation.)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good times for sure. The fact the GOP was made aware of this last year and did nothing but "ask him to stop". It wasn't until the kids parents told the sick bastard to stop contacting their son that it was made public.

Now that the FBI are interested, he'll miss more than his old job for sure.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
GOOD NEWS!!!!
He is checking into rehab. This will solve everything becasue everyone knows that it is alcohol that makes grown men attracted to puebescent boy pages...
I thought it was going to be MBLA-A (Man Boy Love Associations Anonymous).

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
GOOD NEWS!!!!
He is checking into rehab. This will solve everything becasue everyone knows that it is alcohol that makes grown men attracted to puebescent boy pages...
I take it that he's checking into AA, and you took that to mean Alcoholics Anonymous?

Um, that could also stand for Addictions Anonymous. Are we sure that it's the former and not the latter?

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
I take it that he's checking into AA, and you took that to mean Alcoholics Anonymous?

Um, that could also stand for Addictions Anonymous. Are we sure that it's the former and not the latter?
It's alcohol rehab: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/02/foley.quits/index.html?section=cnn_topstories.

The FBI has started in investigation this urgent matter: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0610020133oct02,1,7561875.story?track=rss

So everyone is all up in arms about some inappropriate e-mails but we still can't a real investigation into the murder of 3,000 US citizens. What the funk is that?

Some kid was made to feel uncomfortable, eh?

I say we declare a war on e-mail. A few trillion dollars should be enough. All we have to do is send our e-mails to the government first and then they will decide if they are appropriate and if so, forward them on to the intended recipient. If not, they send agents to arrest us and torture us until we confess. Sounds funking fantastic to me.

Wait, you say the government already uses Eschelon to monitor all e-mails today? Well then why didn't they do anything about this earlier? Oh, I forgot, it is more important to protect your own than to protect children, unless protecting the children is more politcally expedient. Come on, let's be honest. It's really all about protecting your own a$$.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just curious: who here believes his "privacy rights" were violated?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
just curious: who here believes his "privacy rights" were violated?
You cannot judge whether rights where violated until you see the terms of use for the email system he was using at the time. Organizations explicitly note electronic communication policies - ie whether emails/IM/fax are their property, not the user's.