Quantcast

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm sure Brian is encouraging all of his kids to run to the recruiting station right now.
You're funny! Actually I'm against war and have mixed feelings on what happened. Will we go to war? More than likely not. I remember back in the early 90's when the Gulf war started, I was freaked out about being drafted. I remember my dad saying, you'll be drafted first as they take all the flunky's first, meaning uneducated. (he was still pissed off I dropped out of college, I was like 24 at the time) However, my kid is all freaked out about the thought of being drafted.

You're funny! Actually I'm against war and have mixed feelings on what happened. Will we go to war? More than likely not. I remember back in the early 90's when the Gulf war started, I was freaked out about being drafted. I remember my dad saying, you'll be drafted first as they take all the flunky's first, meaning uneducated. (he was still pissed off I dropped out of college, I was like 24 at the time) However, my kid is all freaked out about the thought of being drafted.
If we're going to have standing armed forces, I'd about be ready to resume the draft, male and female, in order to have a percentage of the armed forces who will question what's going on and blow the whistle as necessary.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If we're going to have standing armed forces, I'd about be ready to resume the draft, male and female, in order to have a percentage of the armed forces who will question what's going on and blow the whistle as necessary.
I'm leaning to 2 years of mandatory civil/military service.
Let everyone carry some water and earn some life skills in the process.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
it would have been good for me, but I'd have lived a MUCH different life had I served I'm sure.

Some of my best friend's oldest son had just rotated to the Gulf a few weeks ago. :thumbsdown:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm leaning to 2 years of mandatory civil/military service.
Let everyone carry some water and earn some life skills in the process.
I am for this only if it's airtight and the 0.01%'s and politicians' offspring are in the pool, not out with bullshit bone spur excuses.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pickup truck pulled into the grocery parking lot yesterday as I was leaving, two massive signs in the back.
A Trump 2020 MAGA and the second was Democrats are the biggest hate group in the USA...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I am for this only if it's airtight and the 0.01%'s and politicians' offspring are in the pool, not out with bullshit bone spur excuses.
Agreed. Can’t carry a pack or don’t want to participate in nation building, you can feed the homeless or learn the trades building housing.

Switzerland’s model works well despite some serious wealth. Plus everyone gets an assault rifle for their trouble. Win-win. (j/k, sort of)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I’m glad I did I one year of mandatory community service after finishing high school, as it certainly gave me completely new perspectives on the wider society I was living in and the problems it was facing. I would have had a much narrower outlook and far less life experience had I gone straight to college and remained in my fairly privileged bubble.

Of course your experience and what you get out of it will be highly dependent on what your job is and how engaged you are, but I am strongly in favor of mandatory community or military service as it will teach you tons about being a citizen.
I worked in an emergency room for a year and got directly confronted with issues such as alcoholism, poverty, abortion, the strengths and weaknesses of our healthcare system as well as just plain old life and death.

Alas, this system is no longer in existence and it’s all about becoming part of the working population as early as possible now.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
the more important aspect is that they are properly trained on how to use it.
I know plenty of active duty military I won’t let near me with a gun.

Everything you need to know to safely handle a gun can be learned by age 8.

Personal responsibility is where things fall apart.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I’m glad I did I one year of mandatory community service after finishing high school, as it certainly gave me completely new perspectives on the wider society I was living in and the problems it was facing. I would have had a much narrower outlook and far less life experience had I gone straight to college and remained in my fairly privileged bubble.
There is some irony lost on my pro-Trump, Boomer father that my going to college, then coming out totally broke and homeless gave me a wider perspective on society on a whole by taking me out of sheltered Orange County. Going to the military when I left HS probably would have been good for me, because I didn't learn those lessons until I was into my 20's.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There is some irony lost on my pro-Trump, Boomer father that my going to college, then coming out totally broke and homeless gave me a wider perspective on society on a whole by taking me out of sheltered Orange County. Going to the military when I left HS probably would have been good for me, because I didn't learn those lessons until I was into my 20's.
Do you really let politics drive a wedge between you and your Dad/family?

My dads been dead 22yrs, but we never let politics pollute the relationship despite being worlds apart (at the time, probably less so now lol).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

My dads been dead 22yrs, but we never let politics pollute the relationship despite being worlds apart (at the time, probably less so now lol).
It's not politics, it's underlying moral beliefs on how one should treat other people. "Fuck you, I've got mine" is not something I take well to, having been homeless, having lived in incredibly poor neighborhoods, and after working in elementary schools in those same neighborhoods then going to do the same work at schools in rich neighborhoods - the differences in opportunity is immense. We conflict highly there and it's why we don't talk politics, ever, because they are just a reflection of that underlying moral belief.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
It's not politics, it's underlying moral beliefs on how one should treat other people. "Fuck you, I've got mine" is not something I take well to, having been homeless, having lived in incredibly poor neighborhoods, and after working in elementary schools in those same neighborhoods then going to do the same work at schools in rich neighborhoods - the differences in opportunity is immense. We conflict highly there and it's why we don't talk politics, ever, because they are just a reflection of that underlying moral belief.
So you think that's every republican? I got mine so fuck you? FYI for years my family & I gave to the homeless. My wife & kids with other moms for 7 or so years helped out in the soup kitchens in SF on Thanksgiving mornings. Me & other dads would drive around to the local restaurants/grocery stores collecting bread and other supplies, making sandwiches putting together meals for the homeless during the Xmas holiday season for about 5 years (I haven't in about 4 years). We are currently involved with the SMA "Spinal muscular atrophy" fundraisers and have probably donated over $10K in the last 5 years not including the hours put in from my wife. Plus we still give to different charities throughout the year. Maybe its time you open your eyes up a little and see there is good & bad on both sides. You need to stop assuming!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

My mom & younger brother are total liberals. My dad (unfortunately passed away 8 years ago was a republican as am I and my older brother) We'll joke back & forth about politics, but would never let it come between us and let it destroy our family. Then again, it is quite funny getting my mom and brother all riled up & pissed off. Liberals are so overly sensitive these days and can easily go sideways, too much fun. LOL

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
<both sides?>

So you think that's every republican? Maybe its time you open your eyes up a little and see there is good & bad on both sides. You need to stop assuming!
Then again, it is quite funny getting my mom and brother all riled up & pissed off. Liberals are so overly sensitive these days and can easily go sideways, too much fun. LOL
<both sides!>

ETA: for what it's worth living in "small town" Montana and fixing up a house in even "smaller town" Idahoozle, I avoid talking politics with my neighbors.

There is nothing they could say which would cause me to rethink my political ideology nor anything I could say to them that would cause them to rethink theirs.

But for some reason reality does seem to have a liberal bias... (tax cuts do not pay for themselves; we won't be greeted as liberators.)

Last edited: