Quantcast

Cool vs Uncool

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Just wondering why is it that.Moorwood Izimus are cool yet Orange 224's get bagged as a pos:brow:????? When in essance they are virtually the same:banghead:

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
from what ive heard aswell is that they had warranty issues which lost them some respect,

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Plus the fact that old 222's and 223's broke like hell on stays.

Also they look alike but little differances matter(geo on 224 and izimu is very different). I personaly like the low bb on orange but the length of the bike...

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Plus the fact that old 222's and 223's brok like hell on stays.

Also they look alike but little differances matter(geo on 224 and izimu is very different). I personaly like the low bb on orange but the length of the bike...
Thats funny never heard much about saty issues? I had one of the few Patriot LT in CA back in 99-2001 that thing was taking roof drops to about 8 degree tranny's that bent bars no problems! ANd I weighed in at about 230LBS at that time. Only did that drop twice though!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Thats funny never heard much about saty issues? I had one of the few Patriot LT in CA back in 99-2001 that thing was taking roof drops to about 8 degree tranny's that bent bars no problems! ANd I weighed in at about 230LBS at that time. Only did that drop twice though!
I think you kinda missed the part when I've said 222s and 223s. Didn't bash the whole company. Later 223s and 224 had that problem fixed.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
guys i know who've run 224's thought they were great bikes. i believe they fell out of favor (over here anyways) due to really steep pricing (crap exchange rates), and lack of proper distribution.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Personally I like the look of the Morewoods much better than the 224 frame. I just never liked them. Strictly based on pure aesthetics.

Now the question is why would anyone want either of those over a Sinister Gruitr:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
It's all about Buzz, Orange had it....morewood has it now.

What's cool comes and goes...always has...always will.

DH is no different than any other area. On the road side the same stuff happens.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think one of the biggest factors is CS. Morewood has gone above and beyond what other companies have done to help me out in multiple situations. They are relatively easy to get your hands on, they will do follow up calls to make sure your bike is set up correctly, they usually always have support at big races and are always willing to hear feedback and suggestions(even from someone that sucks as much as I do). Sure Orange is from the UK but that's not a valid point when comparing them to Morewood (Republic of South Africa). Morewood has made huge efforts to make their presence known in the US and it seems that they're being rewarded for it.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
morewood has killer cs. Orange are pretty good to deal with aswell but morewood seem a bit more interested in the people who are riding there bikes. They are very similar to what i've heard about Turner as regards there CS. I think Oranges biggest problem in the US is a poor distributor and the exchange rate doesn't help things either. There both good companies and good bikes. I wouldn't think its to do with the fact some of the Oranges where cracking. I've had three morewoods and bar my newest one which is only a week old I've cracked the other two but i'll still continue to buy them because they have always hooked me up with something even though the frames have been outside the warrenty period.

Oct 14, 2007
It's simply because us blacks have taken over...Plz believe Morewood is built by my brothas in Africa...the big Red, Black & Green...once they make a heated hockey rink. we're gonna take over hockey too

all in good humor

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Oranges being very difficult to get in the states probably has something to do with it. I've never even really considered owning an Orange becuase its hard to get here. And even if I could, I'd have to send it back to England if there ever was a problem.

Now, considering owning a Morewood is a different story.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
^except morewoods are designed and built by a bunch of white guys:) sorry to be a kill joy;)
although i dont own a morewood, i have the pleasure of knowing the guys over at the morewood factory and they really great people. Pat is always willing to help out with anything from suspension set up, to welding cracked frames for you(even if they aren't morewood frames). russel and leon(the welders) are top class guys and along with patrick, they can spot cracks a mile away! What i love about morewood is that patrick, russel, leon and fabien(designer) all ride the bikes they made so they know what is and isn't desirable on a bike.
A few of my friends have cracked morewoods, especially the early model izimu swing arms, most of them were out of warrenty but patrick hooked them up with replacement frames. I'v had the opportunity of riding pretty much every bike morewood sells, from the izimu and makulu to the ndiza and shova st and they are all amazing bikes, not to say orange aren't. Morewood just seems a step ahead of the rest of the bike manufacturers out there with a great product and a great cs to boot. The new bikes dont seem to break half as much as the older ones did, haven't seen a broken 07 or 08 frame yet as opposed to quite a few 06 frames about half way through last season ended up cracking.
as for the orange, the only one i'v been able to ride is greg minnaars old 222 practice bike. Its amazingly low and slack but it was custom built for him with custom geo so i cant compare it to production models but it still hasn't cracked(its a 7 year old frame) and its dam fast!
Just my 2cents from over here in south africa:)

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
You couldn't get Orange bikes in the US and Canada since 05 without getting them from Britian. There is a new US dist. There's already a bike shop here in Seattle that can get em.

Give these guys a call: http://zedsport.com/

Personally I love Orange. I've had my 223 since 05 and haven't had a single issue with it except for when I filed too much material off the dropouts. I've bottom and crashed hard on this frame countless times without any problems. They only reason this frame is loud is because I use Shimano derailleurs.

I'm getting a new 224 in Feb :biggrin:

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Personally I like the look of the Morewoods much better than the 224 frame. I just never liked them. Strictly based on pure aesthetics.

Now the question is why would anyone want either of those over a Sinister Gruitr:

Who wants to pay Sinister $1500 for a catalog frame that sells complete for less than a grand. Ladies and Gentleman: the Devinci Chili Pepper...

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
You couldn't get Orange bikes in the US and Canada since 05 without getting them from Britian. There is a new US dist. There's already a bike shop here in Seattle that can get em.

Give these guys a call: http://zedsport.com/

Personally I love Orange. I've had my 223 since 05 and haven't had a single issue with it except for when I filed too much material off the dropouts. I've bottom and crashed hard on this frame countless times without any problems. They only reason this frame is loud is because I use Shimano derailleurs.

I'm getting a new 224 in Feb :biggrin:
I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
And a frame that has a redesigned swingarm and pretty nifty geometry to boot...
Yep. It may be similar in looks, but I am positive Sinister quality is 1000x better and the geometry is better. I replaced my Bottlerocket frame with this and I absolutely love the frame. It rips in every single type of riding I do: DH, FR, SS, XC and light jumping. It is the do all bike.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Because people are stupid...

Or the less spiteful answer is that people tend to blindly follow trends because the vast majority of us don't have enough knowledge or experience to make an actually educated decision. Now the Morewood may be a fine bike, but the cost is way too much for a very simple high forward pivot. At least the orange had some fancy tubes to somewhat justify the cost. The truth is, you can build a bike that does exactly the same thing as a Morewood in your garage for a couple hundred bucks.

Also, Morewood offered anyone who sent them a resume via sponsorhouse a deal for a frame at 900 off retail.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Does the fact that Morewood Riders have won the US National DH championships for 2 years in a row speak volumes. We like to ride bikes that simply perform well
That simply means thar morewood riders perform well. Don't know about you but I'm not so keen on riding them.

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly

Or the less spiteful answer is that people tend to blindly follow trends because the vast majority of us don't have enough knowledge or experience to make an actually educated decision. Now the Morewood may be a fine bike, but the cost is way too much for a very simple high forward pivot. At least the orange had some fancy tubes to somewhat justify the cost. The truth is, you can build a bike that does exactly the same thing as a Morewood in your garage for a couple hundred bucks.

Also, Morewood offered anyone who sent them a resume via sponsorhouse a deal for a frame at 900 off retail.
It's funny more people haven't done this...I guess its the million dollar investment in CNC equipment and hard earned engineering degrees that puts them off

Oct 14, 2007

hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

granted they are expensive, you sound like a nagging wife take it EASYYYY

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
While agree there was a little venom in that post it is pretty much spot on....

but the real answer to the O/P question (at least in the US) is THIS.....

Morewood offered anyone who sent them a resume via sponsorhouse a deal for a frame at 900 off retail.
some may think this is a good thing, and it has seemed to create an 'image' for Moorewood here in the states...

but when any and every 14 y.o. mouth breather on emty beer who cannot even figure out what parts are needed to build said frame can become a 'team rider' and have their frame price subsidised by anyone with enough self respect to RUN away from sponsorhouse.....

IMO that 'image' is sheit.....

it also screams to anyone who paid retal....that they are an idiot and got ripped!!!!!!

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
It's funny more people haven't done this...I guess its the million dollar investment in CNC equipment and hard earned engineering degrees that puts them off
you forgot welding machines, learning how to weld properly, heat treating equipment and more.

Patrick is a jeweler by trade, no engineering degree there but it was substituted by many many broken frames and alot of hard work to get to where he is now. His first frame didnt last him the better part of 3 weeks. Its alot harder to build a single pivot bike the rides as well as a morewood than most people think.

All you people complaining about price, get over it. Its the price you have to pay for excellence. Morewood bikes arent built in taiwan by a bunch of sweat shop workers earning 0.20$ an hour and that is reflected in the build quality. Every single one of their bikes is welded by one of two welders that earn a good enough salary to afford bikes better than alot of the rest of the locals here ride(granted they get special discounts and all that). There customer service is some of the best in the business and they regularly swap out broken frames that are out of warrenty. All this coming from someone who wishes he could afford a Morewood.

BTF

Chimp
Dec 28, 2001
Boston Ma
Who wants to pay Sinister $1500 for a catalog frame that sells complete for less than a grand. Ladies and Gentleman: the Devinci Chili Pepper...
Wow. How ignorant and "you've got your head up your ass" of you. Just because both frames are made from alum and look similar don't make them the same product. Example...Ford Mustang LX vs Shelby GT500. Ya they look similar, but I'm pretty sure they've got a few differences. There is not one tube or cnc part that was not changed, altered, or manipulated in producing the Gruitr. Not to mention a completely different geo, CS length, TT slope/size, BB height, HA, etc. Every tube and cnc part was changed and manipulated within existing tooling parameters(how we kept the price down. yes using existing tooling saves $) to shave weight(only weights 7lbs BTW) but increase strength and stiffness. For $1375, not $1500, you get a high quality North American handmade frame. Which is super fun to ride and bombproof, at a price less than the overseas produced frames such as Hecklers, or Bottlerockets. Not that there is anything wrong with a Heckler or Bottlerocket, or overseas, Both GREAT bikes from GREAT companies. Ever price a Prophet MX frame or a GAry Fisher Possum? Again, both killer frames. The Gruitr is just another option and a great one at that.
FYI, the next time your flippin' thru the channels and come across a NASCAR event...those are not the same cars you see on your local interstate.

I apologize for what seems like a rant, but WTF. It's a bike. Made to have fun. No UFO technology went into designing the Gruitr. We never claimed it did. It's a simple single pivot, ain't rocket science.

Dude, do yourself a favor, grab your bike and go for a ride. It'll wash the "internet hating" away for sure.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Both Orange and Morewood seem appear to be enthusiastic companies with a keen interest in racing and relatively simple, solid bikes.

I think there's room for both.