Quantcast

CRC Intense is done?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
From what I understand CRC will be back as another team, it was never Intense's "Factory Team" as Intense was more of a supplier.

Look for a CRC Nukeproof team in the future.

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
"Makes sense" given the Nukeproof (subsidiary of CRC) bikes coming to market.

Not a big deal really, because Intense has been hugely successful/popular on the WC circuit. I have no doubt Intense will get picked up by another trade team (probably a bigger one with solid financial backing).

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Impressed with CRC - own team and own bikes. Plus its a damn good shop they run.

Stick looks like John Waters

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....

Not a big deal really, because Intense has been hugely successful/popular on the WC circuit. I have no doubt Intense will get picked up by another trade team (probably a bigger one with solid financial backing).
Bigger and more solid than the world's largest bike shop? Who is this mythical team??

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004

I'm sure Stikman is on here keepin' a breast of all the juicy gossip, but as Fraser said, CRC will be on Nukeproof and from what I heard Intense will have a full factory "in-house" race team next year. With I assume Kovarik and Lehikoinen. But old Stikman just said on his Twatter thing that he was talking to a HUGE outside sponsor and has millions to spend on a 6 man superteam backed by BP, Ford, KYB suspension and McDonalds. Bigger the better!!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Discount Cycling/Intense? Interested to see where Nige Page will end up

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Wasn't one of the CRC guys riding a yellow nukeproof 4x bike during the world cups?.
That would be lukas Mechra (sp), european champion on it I believe

And as for Page, it would make sense for him to carry on being CRC/nukeproof manager, but let's be honest there have been several moments in mtb history that have had me scratching my head

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Nigel Page is still the team boss of CRC. Since Nigel landed the CRC deal, he has been employed by them and still is.

CRC/Intense was never our 'factory' team. We stopped doing that a few years back. It is time for us to have an in-house factory team. And we are dedicated to that, despite our smaller size and infrastructure compared to companies 100x our size.

We supplied bikes to CRC and used them as our research, design and development team. Everyone at CRC from the CRC people, to Nigel and the racers were and are world class in every regard. CRC was seen as a competitor to a few of our international distributors and it became a bit of a problem and that mixed in with CRC owning the nukeproof brand, we all decided it was best to move on.

I think Nigel will have a new roster, some people staying, some people leaving, I do not want to speak for him.

As for Intense and downhill racing, I believe the M9-FRO is the best bike we have ever made and was so great to have all the riders who raced the proto all season just have rave reviews, it was also shocking to know that between all those bikes out there, all the races, all the crashes, all the traveling...we did not have ANY issues or failures with the M9-FRO bikes and nice to have everyone on that team asking if they can ride for Intense next year as they loved the bikes so much.

We did have a VERY encouraging meeting with an outside sponsor, things are moving faster than expected so stay tuned for more. The little engine that could keeps on charging along.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Impressed with CRC - own team and own bikes. Plus its a damn good shop they run.

Stick looks like John Waters

Though the same thing w/ the mustache. I don't htink I've ever seen you w/o a shaved head.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
We did have a VERY encouraging meeting with an outside sponsor, things are moving faster than expected so stay tuned for more. The little engine that could keeps on charging along.
thanks for the informed update stik! keep up the awesome good work, can't wait to see the team for next year :thumb:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
So, wheres Kovarik going? Really, far as the CRC team goes hes the one thats most interesting. And scary. :)
Not really. Matti for the most part is faster, and Simmonds is really coming around. Kovarik is scary though. Kovarik is getting old and is only a threat to win on the big stage if he has a miracle run. I still really like him though.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
But Matti is sketchy as hell,look what that kid has done to him self with all the bad luck.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Matti does not have bad luck.
An asteroid falling on your ballsack is bad luck.
A world cup dher constantly pushing his limits and crashing and getting hurt is not "bad luck."
Its all in the game yo.
Exactly. Matti is bad fast. He pushes and thats what makes him awesome to watch ride.

It will be intresting to see who is back for the new team and on the new bike though. Kovarik is a big name and I imagine a good money maker in regards to selling bikes. Matti has pretty much always been on an intense.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Matti is one of the top 5 guys in the history of the sport that really knows how to develop products, outstanding in that regard. Win, Lose, or crash, you can't take that skill of RnD away from him...and a hell of a good soul to boot.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Matti is a great rider, but nowhere near as interesting as Kovarik. Kovarik was blow up a berm, stop to punch a rock in the face, chug a bottle of jack, **** a fireball, then win by 14 seconds, all on flat pedals, and all to a slayer soundtrack.

Now thats interesting. :D

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Matti is a great rider, but nowhere near as interesting as Kovarik. Kovarik was blow up a berm, stop to punch a rock in the face, chug a bottle of jack, **** a fireball, then win by 14 seconds, all on flat pedals, and all to a slayer soundtrack.

Now thats interesting. :D[/QUOTE

He is bad ass, but that was 5+ years ago. He would beat me down. He still is one of the faster guys in the world, but no longer a contender to win each week.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Exactly. Smashed them on a far longer track than the average WC.

Talent doesn't get old.
Not to burst your bubble but he does that all the time. Perform great at lower caliber races and not as good at WCs. Maybe he always goes full throttle while other pros dont want to risk an injury, maybe it is some other mental issue but he is in that state since the CRC team started. Id like the see the old Kovarik but what I really belive is that the problem is not him, the rest of the pack just progressed so much.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
^^ Ask ACC about racing with youngsters. I think she won every event she entered at Crankworx.
Read my post again. I know Kovarik and many other riders can win smaller races. The problem is winning the big ones. Also Im not saying that if you go over certain age you are done. Im only thinking if other riders didnt progress more than kovarik (ie. single case).

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Read my post again. I know Kovarik and many other riders can win smaller races. The problem is winning the big ones. Also Im not saying that if you go over certain age you are done. Im only thinking if other riders didnt progress more than kovarik (ie. single case).
So you're saying ACC couldn't win a WC DH? ;)

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
I posted 1 second after you did without having read yours. Having said that, I think she could win WC races at her age. Can't say the same with most others.