Quantcast

Cure for depression

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I have been so depressed the last 6 months with all the crap that has gone on. I am just now getting more than 2 hours of sleep per night, although it's a very restless sleep. I lost 80 pounds (Still need to loose a few more though :)) because when I get stressed out,the thought of food turns my stomach. But the last couple days, I've managed to put about 85 miles on my bike. I look for the biggest hills around and hammer the piss out of myself, until I'm about ready to collapse. It's amazing how when you are focused solely on breathing and staying concious, NOTHING else matters. Man I need to do this more often. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, when i'm feeling that life sucks i hammer just a little bit more on the hills. beats trying to figure out my emotions and such :D heh

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Running at 1 or 2 am for 5 to 8 miles usually does the trick for me. Now that I have a set of slicks for my bike, I'lll ride on the road in the winter.
I was extremely depressed throughout highschool and never had the energy to do anything but sleep. I would get home and sleep then when i woke up around 10pm I would do wahtever then go back to sleep by 1.
Depression sucks, thats for sure. I think getting out of it just took some mental strength.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Don't worry,

be happy

and ride your bike on some new trails

a nice light xc bike and some pretty flowers

yaaay!!!

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
Brian, In January I made a post about how my (now) ex-wife had been cheating on me with the only "friend" I had made in ND. Well anyway, she decided it'd be fun to max out my cards before I had a chance to get her name off them. Then, when I moved back to NH, she decided not to make the payments on her car (I was the co-signer) and wait for the bank to call me looking for money. Well I finally got that all taken care of, and went out to dinner with her sister, whom I have been good friends with for longer than I have known my ex. She knew that all I wanted was the truth and couldn't stand seeing the rest of her family lie to me to keep from hurting me. She told me that while I'm struggling 24/7 to get my life under control, all her bills including the $14,000 she owed on her car, are being paid off by my piece 'o crap "friend's" father. All because she is now 3 months pregnant with the kid of that waste of flesh. As stupid as it sounds, I still care about her, and want nothing more than for her to be happy. I know now what a spineless punk he is, and have this gut feeling that when he gets bored, he'll leave her high and dry with a kid, who unfortunately will have two of the most dysfunctional parents ever. I can't stand seeing what's going to happen, and being absolutely unable to do anything about it. Damn, this is getting me all wound up again...But tomorrow is another day off, which means another day to beat the crap out of myself :thumb:.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
the Inbred said:
80lbs in 6 months, with 2hrs of sleep a night....hell, i'm surprised you can even walk.
I was an absolute wreck. I'm in way better physical shape than I have been in couple years. Mentally, I'm way better than I was 6 months ago, but I don't know if I'll ever be the same as I was. The first month when I was EXTREMELY suicidal I would go days without sleep and just crash for a couple hours. I literally lived at the bike shop (My bed was flattened bike boxes) just so I wouldn't have to go home and deal with my problems. And as we were getting all new bikes and fitness equipment into the shop, I had stuff to do to keep my mind busy.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I remember it now. Dude, you're so young so shake it off. I realize it's easier said than done, but seriously do it. If you haven't already, start dating. Not to get laid (well maybe that;)) but just to get back into the swing of things. I probably mentioned this before but I'm guessing you really never dated a lot and settled into a serious relationship fast & hard. Remember there is NO chick on this planet work killing themselves over. There are way more out there not to mention 100% better than what you've had. Try dating through friends or online, just to get out there. I'm willing to bet it will get you out of that rut you're stuck in. Plus you'll feel way better about yourself & confidence will be through the roof. If you do this you'll come out WAY better than she did, and the best part is she may come running back to you and you'll be wise enough to say...............Oh well baby, your loss. Trust me on this buddy, I've had my heart ripped out of me a few times only to come out on top each time.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I totally feel for you as I have also had 2 relationships that ended awfully. Not of the same magnitude as yours, but even still, I know how it feels. Im quite glad that you have battled back from it. Depression is an awful demon, and when the thoughts turn suicidal is even harder. My congratulations and best wishes go out to you.

if im ever up in NH lets ride sometime.

E

enkidu

For getting a regular good night sleep, which is essential in healing our hearts, bodies, and minds, self-hypnosis was helpful for me.

Whenever you think about "sleep" in whatever context, like "Oh, I wish I could sleep more deeply" or "How many hours did I sleep?", immediately stop that thought and read the following mantra ALOUD (so you can hear your voice firmly and clearly).

"I am a great sleeper. I love my bed. I love to go to bed, and as soon as my head hits the pillow I am relaxed, calm and sleepy. I am a great sleeper. When I go to bed tonight I am going to enjoy a wonderful night's sleep."

Have a copy of this mantra posted all over your living space and carry one on you. It worked wonders for me in something like three days.

Good luck.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
Hey Brian, I had been in several relationships before my last one, but she is the only one I ever cared about as much as I did / do. I really love her, and want nothing mare than to see her happy, but I would never take her back, as I could never trust her again. Haven't started dating yet, maybe in a few months when most of my bills will be paid off.

And Polandspring88, I'm certainly down :)

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
enkidu said:
For getting a regular good night sleep, which is essential in healing our hearts, bodies, and minds, self-hypnosis was helpful for me.

Whenever you think about "sleep" in whatever context, like "Oh, I wish I could sleep more deeply" or "How many hours did I sleep?", immediately stop that thought and read the following mantra ALOUD (so you can hear your voice firmly and clearly).

"I am a great sleeper. I love my bed. I love to go to bed, and as soon as my head hits the pillow I am relaxed, calm and sleepy. I am a great sleeper. When I go to bed tonight I am going to enjoy a wonderful night's sleep."

Have a copy of this mantra posted all over your living space and carry one on you. It worked wonders for me in something like three days.

Good luck.
I will certainly try that, thanks.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
schweino1, I most certainly would, but unfortunately she has a boyfriend. :(. And to make matters worse, he's been one of my best friends for the past 9 years.

doAZido

Chimp
Aug 20, 2003
Glendale Arizona
Brian HCM#1 said:
I remember it now. Dude, you're so young so shake it off. I realize it's easier said than done, but seriously do it. If you haven't already, start dating. Not to get laid (well maybe that;)) but just to get back into the swing of things. I probably mentioned this before but I'm guessing you really never dated a lot and settled into a serious relationship fast & hard. Remember there is NO chick on this planet work killing themselves over. There are way more out there not to mention 100% better than what you've had. Try dating through friends or online, just to get out there. I'm willing to bet it will get you out of that rut you're stuck in. Plus you'll feel way better about yourself & confidence will be through the roof. If you do this you'll come out WAY better than she did, and the best part is she may come running back to you and you'll be wise enough to say...............Oh well baby, your loss. Trust me on this buddy, I've had my heart ripped out of me a few times only to come out on top each time.
I wont even try to add to this advise, because brian hit the nail right on the head, trust me there is someone out there that will make all you are going through rite now seem like a distant memory, you may even look back and laugh some day, hard to believe rite now, but it is true. Sounds like she is the one with all the issues, so dont beat yourself up so much.

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
U guys give pretty solid advice. I must agree excercise does help, it gets your mind off the situation and its makes you healthier. Depression is something I thought would never happen to me but it can hit anyone. however dude it sounds like you are on your way to a full recovery, good luck. Now I have to go workout for some therapy.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
if you are really into something, like deep deep into it and you are suffereing from depression, all you think is what you are doing, no problems no worries, you don't think about your problems, your bills, school, work, anything, all you do i concentrate on that one thing

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, You should just ride my bike.

And the first place you should ride it is right over your "friends" skull.

I am sorry to hear that happened to you.
Depression is not something to ever take lightly.
It should be treated like any other serious disease.
Keep your head up and good luck.

Look at it this way, you just got a "get out of jail free" card.
No go use it on a cheerleader.
They are known for curing depression. :)

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
Jeremy R said:
Yep, You should just ride my bike.

And the first place you should ride it is right over your "friends" skull.
It was all I could do to keep from running him over, whenever I saw him walking to work. He is the only person I seriously think I could kill, and feel no remorse afterwards.

Look at it this way, you just got a "get out of jail free" card.
No go use it on a cheerleader.
They are known for curing depression. :)
I'll have to wait a couple more months for school to get back in session. All the good looking local girls are taken, those that are available are NASTY (I wouldn't hit them, even with that asshat's wang). Mmmmm...Freshmen. :drool:

bullit71

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Don't know if it's possible, but it sounds like you could go for a change of scenery. If you're in school, go to a different one. Move out of state. Start over.

I remember that after I graduated from college, I moved to Atlanta. Then I quite my good paying job and moved to CA. Now I live in the Bay Area, have a new good paying job, found the girl of my dreams, and Oh Yeah, I mtn bike in some of the best areas in the world, and just a short drive away from N*.

Good luck! Sounds like you are a solid guy, and she is a freak! You can do better IMHO.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I moved from NH to ND after we got married. As soon as I found out what was going on I scraped togeter every penny I had and bought myself a plane ticket outta there. It's been hard because I'm in the town wher we met and dated, but all my friends are here too. I'll tell you, there were a couple times, where if one of my buddys hadn't answered his phone, I wouldn't be around right now. I won't lie and say that I don't get thoughts of soing stupid stuff anymore, however those times that I do, are MUCH fewer and MUCH farther between.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Wow you sound pretty well grounded now, I remember when my best friend took my girlfriend(i know we werent married but i did love her) absolutely crushed me. Without sounding like a cliche here it goes "if it doesnt kill you it will make you stronger" and it totally did that for me, the next girl i met 3 years later we were married and now expecting our first kid. Everything and I mean everything happens for a reason. When you accept that fact it makes dealing with the worst situations easier because there is no reason to ask the question why. It also makes the best situations even better, because you feel like you are living right and just.

It sounds like you have it under control now, wait for the cute chicks to come back and get some sleep so you're ready when the do.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BrokenChain said:
Hey Brian, I had been in several relationships before my last one, but she is the only one I ever cared about as much as I did / do. I really love her, and want nothing mare than to see her happy, but I would never take her back, as I could never trust her again. Haven't started dating yet, maybe in a few months when most of my bills will be paid off.

And Polandspring88, I'm certainly down :)
You really can't count high school relationships, I'm talkinmg in your 20's type dating, way different ballgame. It's never easy what your going through, and I won't try to sugar coat it. Just be strong, think positive and date, date, date & date.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Keep your head up and ride your bike. There's nothing wrong with getting some professional help if you think it will help you. Losing that much weight and missing that much sleep is alarming. Just remember, all of us mountain bikers are like one big family, so if you ever feel really down, reach out!

Keep your head up brother! You'll get through this... :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BrokenChain said:
I have been so depressed the last 6 months with all the crap that has gone on. I am just now getting more than 2 hours of sleep per night, although it's a very restless sleep. I lost 80 pounds (Still need to loose a few more though :)) because when I get stressed out,the thought of food turns my stomach. But the last couple days, I've managed to put about 85 miles on my bike. I look for the biggest hills around and hammer the piss out of myself, until I'm about ready to collapse. It's amazing how when you are focused solely on breathing and staying concious, NOTHING else matters. Man I need to do this more often. :thumb:

with no medical experience at all, other than being in the patient position for basically the same reasons, i'd venture to guess...

if you are a young person, in the early 20's... with decreased sleep needs, huge weight changes, a major depression, and sometimes energetic enough to hammer 85 miles, and you want to tackle the biggest hill you can find, and it seems you enjoy that situation....

those kinda symptoms of something i have to take pills for... you might want to rule that out...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I dont think that riding cures depression for me. i do know that when I am confused, and not sure what i should do about certain situations that its great to get out on the bike and by the end of the ride its usually all sorted out in my head. Biking for me is about getting awaty from everything , just for awhile, and it helps me think straight

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
hooples3 said:
I dont think that riding cures depression for me. i do know that when I am confused, and not sure what i should do about certain situations that its great to get out on the bike and by the end of the ride its usually all sorted out in my head. Biking for me is about getting awaty from everything , just for awhile, and it helps me think straight
I agree...getting away for a few hours is usually enough to make things a lot better.

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
man...i used to be so depressed and always fighting with my mom and such, but when i had a bad day, i go straight to the highest mountain i could find and try to find new trails and make my own and stuff, i think the relaxing noises birds chirping and stuff, and seeing all the green foliage and stuff and (not to sound too sensitive and too foo foo..) just admiring natures beauty, its the greatest natural healer, always brought a smile to my face...

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
SkaredShtles said:
You should move to Flagstaff. Nice town. Friendly people. Mellow joint. :thumb:
Only problem is, IT'S DAMN HOT! I'm uncomfortable if it's much above 65. Besides, I'm done moving for a while. Paying off bills first, then looking for an apartment close to the college...

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
BUT WHAT do u do when you are feeling suicidal and homocidal?

How do u get over those feelings? THats what I am struggling with.

My brian tells me that as long as there is life there is hope, however I cant make my brain do what heart can't fathom. A hollow point to the dome just seems so much easier. I know that solves nothing just the way I feel right now.