Quantcast

Curses, Insomnia Strikes Again! GMT

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We were out of the 1200 or so pieces of candy at 7:24. Would have been earlier but for us being out trick or treating and the bowls being empty for a period thusly.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ride night. Sounds like we have some delicate flowers in our group. :busted: :rofl:

Doing the melt dance. It should be 3c by this afternoon, thats enough to melt this right? We bike across the street from here. I mean either way, its not enough to stop us from going.
1698847171043.png

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sorry for the insomnia, folks.

We got 20 candy beggars last night, which is a lot for us. One little girl said "Mommy said I can only take one piece" and she took only one, then her younger brother reached into my bowl and took a handful. lmao. Then another little girl said "Sorry I don't like these" when there was an Almond Joy in the pile I gave her so she gave it back to me and started walking away, and I was like bruh take something else from this bowl of assorted stuff and I gave her three peanut butter cups.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Ugh, not motivated. My knee is a bit sore, but PT was an ass kicker, so I guess it's expected. Gonna do an hour of work this morning, then have a "working session" before lunch, then fuck off. Why is it not Friday yet?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sorry for the insomnia, folks.

We got 20 candy beggars last night, which is a lot for us. One little girl said "Mommy said I can only take one piece" and she took only one, then her younger brother reached into my bowl and took a handful. lmao. Then another little girl said "Sorry I don't like these" when there was an Almond Joy in the pile I gave her so she gave it back to me and started walking away, and I was like bruh take something else from this bowl of assorted stuff and I gave her three peanut butter cups.
Last night we had 5 "how many can I take" and 1 "no bbq?" on our bags of chips. Overall they are still a huge hit. The wife always stops the little ones when they grab the Flaming Hot Cheetos, then mom always steps in and says "they love spicy stuff" :rofl:

One little girl had a meltdown because she thought everything was spicy until the wife gave her a bag of Cheeto Puffs and she lit up. It was hilarious.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ugh, so I spent yesterday evening hiding in my basement tracking down the clunk in my commuter bike. The square taper crank interface is pooched. I had extra cranks and bb lying around so went to replace them. but the steel frame is so rusted out from winter use, that it is all flaking apart. I managed to jam the old bb back in there to ride out the rest of the season, but sadly, I think I'm looking at another frame. It's not worth keeping this bike, it was an amazon special, so in reality I'm looking at a new bike.

I think this fits the bill :
1698849131943.png

aluminum frame, ability to run fenders, ss for simplicity (and to discourage would-be thieves), and disc brakes. I've had it with trying to maintain v-brakes on a winter-commuter.

Anybody have experience buying from Bikes Direct? Or know of a better option?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I bought a road bike from them in ~2008, basically just for the parts/groupset and stuck it all on a better frame. But they were good at the time :D

For commuter I loved having a $200 SS drop bar bike in NYC. Nothing to maintain and not the end of the world if it got stolen. I didn't get that from BD, but my only caution with that bike you've posted is those cable disks might be cack for actually stopping quickly :D

edit: 32/18 would be pretty low gearing for road use. Might need to stick a bigger front ring on there. Can't tell if the rear wheel is freewheel or freehub.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've bought two bikes from Bikes Direct. their communication is not the best--combination of AOL and Gmail accounts run by a few people apparently? but the prices are good and I got two bikes as advertised.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my only caution with that bike you've posted is those cable disks might be cack for actually stopping quickly :D
I'm not too concerned about stopping quickly. In fact, in winter on ice and snow, it can be better to have something that doesn't lock up... :clue: that said, anything would be better than a seized v-brake that doesn't move. and if it does move, it is so full of ice and slush that it generates no friction. until i let off the brakes, but because it's seized it doesn't retract so it just rubs against the rim. :butcher:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Halloween was fun yesterday. I made the garage into a bar with wine for the adults plus there were pizza for everybody and soda for the kids. Little lower turn out because of shitty rain before it started but I managed to get a good buzz and a hangover today.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've bought two bikes from Bikes Direct. their communication is not the best--combination of AOL and Gmail accounts run by a few people apparently? but the prices are good and I got two bikes as advertised.
:stupid:

I bought my CX from there based on the group set and it's solid for the price. My expectations were realistic.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
ugh, so I spent yesterday evening hiding in my basement tracking down the clunk in my commuter bike. The square taper crank interface is pooched. I had extra cranks and bb lying around so went to replace them. but the steel frame is so rusted out from winter use, that it is all flaking apart. I managed to jam the old bb back in there to ride out the rest of the season, but sadly, I think I'm looking at another frame. It's not worth keeping this bike, it was an amazon special, so in reality I'm looking at a new bike.

I think this fits the bill :
View attachment 202960

aluminum frame, ability to run fenders, ss for simplicity (and to discourage would-be thieves), and disc brakes. I've had it with trying to maintain v-brakes on a winter-commuter.

3 fattys and a commuter for my kiddo.

10/10 would buy again...

Too, their scratch and dent has even better prices, i got two of my fattys there..

bikeisland.com

Only very cosmetic blemish.

Owner was responsive to emails as well...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anybody still keeping up with that guy?
I'm facebook buddies with him. he's still alive. doing his MJ, NFT, graphic design stuff. still up in the medium foothills of Jamestown or wherever he is