Quantcast

Custom bike builders and lag time

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Didn't Moots or a Litespeed or some other ti niche maker make a ridiculously expensive custom children's bike a while back?
Vanilla actually made one too, and if I recall it was best in show at one of the handmade bikes shows a few years ago.

Anyway, this debate is pretty amusing to me, at least to the extent some people are trying to impose their own judgments and values, as if they are somehow entitled to faster service or cheaper bikes or whatever. It all boils down to two things: Perception of value and supply and demand. Custom bikes are no different than any other artisanal product: Some people are willing to pay boatloads of cash, wait extraordinary amounts of time, and even deal with bad business practices for the things they want (or think they want), especially if it is something unique.

A custom bike won't make you a faster or better rider, but if you get some kick out of it, there is value. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy one.

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Maybe I'm wrong, but the physical aspect of building a frame seems like the easy part.
You're not wrong. I'd almost hazard a guess that the front end stuff takes more time and resources than actually building the thing.

Kinda like the fact that your favourite band isn't in the music business, they're in the t-shirt sales and marketing business that just happens to have a soundtrack.

:thumb:

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
NOTE: This comment is based on the original post. Nothing after.

Toshi, unless you're willing to learn how to draw a frame, measure and miter tubes, prep the tubes, join the tubes, check the angles, fix the problems, prep the completed frame and coat the frame, then I don't think you have any room to complain about any of this stuff.
As a builder, I appreciate your zeal but the economic study of the shirt that Toshi posted shows that he does get it, he just doesn't partake in it and is stirring the sh!t.

I used to be a financial analyst for the Navy (as a contractor). Blowing through delivery dates and going over budget were the norm, not the exception. We were working on a project involving radar communication from ships to helicopters that was many YEARS behind schedule and so far over budget it was disgusting. Take a look at the construction industry and you'll see the same thing.

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
There's also a bit of the distinctly American trait of "I'm paying, so I can do/say/expect anything I want because I have bought you and you are now my slave." mentality in the custom bike business. I also noticed it last time I was in the US when I followed an order for food with the word 'please' and was looked at like I was from another country.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There's also a bit of the distinctly American trait of "I'm paying, so I can do/say/expect anything I want because I have bought you and you are now my slave." mentality in the custom bike business. I also noticed it last time I was in the US when I followed an order for food with the word 'please' and was looked at like I was from another country.
Was directed at or including me as a customer?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I used to be a financial analyst for the Navy (as a contractor). Blowing through delivery dates and going over budget were the norm, not the exception. We were working on a project involving radar communication from ships to helicopters that was many YEARS behind schedule and so far over budget it was disgusting. Take a look at the construction industry and you'll see the same thing.
I don't think military/gov't projects are a fair comparison though. That's pretty much a consequence-free environment. Most private sector businesses would cease to be if they could not consistently meet timely deadlines.