Quantcast

Custom stainless steel growlers - who's interested?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
web address should remain below monkey.
I think comic sans is the official font.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'll post a poll on the versions today, unless there are other versions that people would like to see.

Any other mockup ideas that you guys want done before there's a vote on which version to produce?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll post a poll on the versions today, unless there are other versions that people would like to see.

Any other mockup ideas that you guys want done before there's a vote on which version to produce?
-stoney's hoodie
-psp's wrecked VW
-a wok
-a picture of ODB in honor of dirtmcgirk (RIP)
-one of bighitr's rants
-molecular structure of ethanol

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You can't go swinging a dead cat without hitting like 7 breweries where I live.

I'm in!

If that's still cool...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

I'm in!

If that's still cool...
Yeah, now if we can just get those breweries (or at least the ones by us) to stop charging 50-100% MORE for a growler than they do for a 6-pack of the same beer. 6-pack in the local grocery store: $7. Growler: $10-15 (!).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, now if we can just get those breweries (or at least the ones by us) to stop charging 50-100% MORE for a growler than they do for a 6-pack of the same beer. 6-pack in the local grocery store: $7. Growler: $10-15 (!).
dante, you of all people should know that a growler is going to be much fresher beer than the 6 pack at the store.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I thought most of the cost of growler is the glass deposit that encourages you to bring it back...and get a refill.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
dante, you of all people should know that a growler is going to be much fresher beer than the 6 pack at the store.
Eh, maybe some places, but probably not here. The smaller breweries self-distribute, and the high turnover at some of the bigger stores ensures that you're probably getting it at most a week or two after it's bottled (for the popular stuff). If they were at all comparable in price I'd do almost all of my beer shopping at some of the local breweries, but at $15 it's practically cost the same as sitting down at a brewery for the afternoon and ordering 4 beers. So instead my money goes to the grocery store, the distributor, etc.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A decent 6-pack here cost about $8-10. For $7 you're getting something on-sale or average at best. A lot of the local breweries here only have cans for their most popular brews and the rest you can only get at the brewery, bars, growler stations, and/or restaurants.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Eh, maybe some places, but probably not here. The smaller breweries self-distribute, and the high turnover at some of the bigger stores ensures that you're probably getting it at most a week or two after it's bottled (for the popular stuff). If they were at all comparable in price I'd do almost all of my beer shopping at some of the local breweries, but at $15 it's practically cost the same as sitting down at a brewery for the afternoon and ordering 4 beers. So instead my money goes to the grocery store, the distributor, etc.
A decent 6-pack here cost about $8-10. For $7 you're getting something on-sale or average at best. A lot of the local breweries here only have cans for their most popular brews and the rest you can only get at the brewery, bars, growler stations, and/or restaurants.
can't believe i'm agreeing with syadasti.

decent beers around here for for $10 or more for a 6'er. and because of pennsyltucky's archaic liquor laws, growlers are all but guaranteed to be fresher (distribution methods of the state, low turnover, etc).

just the other week i was at a distributor and they had cases of expired (out of date) beer still on the floor for sale.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Going to leave this right here for ya....

188 -- Number of “brewing establishments” in Oregon, defined as places where beer is made.
1 for every 3,226 -- Breweries per capita in Hood River County, tops in the state.
Finally, here’s a city-by-city breakdown of brewery number, as of last summer:

Portland: 50

Bend: 18

Eugene: 10

Salem: 7

Corvallis: 6

Hood River: 5

Astoria: 4

Hillsboro: 4

Grants Pass: 4

Redmond: 4

Medford: 4

Other, scattered: 42

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
decent beers around here for for $10 or more for a 6'er. and because of pennsyltucky's archaic liquor laws, growlers are all but guaranteed to be fresher (distribution methods of the state, low turnover, etc).

just the other week i was at a distributor and they had cases of expired (out of date) beer still on the floor for sale.
I think Coors Blue Moon even cost $8.50 - who buys that at that price (you can get a Belgian Leffe 6-pack for less!)? I'd say $10+ is fair for a premium 6-pack. I live near a chain of liquor superstores, so if you go to a small store or a supermarket it's probably at least $1 more.

When I was in Portland the supermarket was about $1 or so cheaper than the liquor superstores around here.

It drives me crazy at PA Wegmans they have a special liquor checkout and won't ring anything up there but liquor (due to the law). Have to walk to practically the other end of the store for the regular checkout.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think Coors Blue Moon even cost $8.50 - who buys that at that price (you can get a Belgian Leffe 6-pack for less!)? I'd say $10+ is fair for a premium 6-pack. I live near a chain of liquor superstores, so if you go to a small store or a supermarket it's probably at least $1 more.

When I was in Portland the supermarket was about $1 or so cheaper than the liquor superstores around here.

It drives me crazy at PA Wegmans they have a special liquor checkout and won't ring anything up there but liquor (due to the law). Have to walk to practically the other end of the store for the regular checkout.
in PA liquor is only sold at state stores. but your statement is correct, just replace liquor with beer.

6 pack stores and bottle shops are becoming more popular here, but by and far most beer is still sold at distributors, which is case only.

this is why the places in PA that sell bottles and 6 packs can charge $10+ for a decent 6'er.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Wegmans in PA only sells beer I think? I've seen cider and beer there but never looked for wine or spirits.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
can't believe i'm agreeing with syadasti.

Why do you think I like living out here, the weather? :)

All of the outstanding local breweries (New Glarus, Ale Asylum, Tyranena, etc) are in the $7-8 range, as are pretty much all the rest of the state breweries. Out of state vary from $7.50 for Great Lakes to $9 for Bells/Founders. Stone was $10, but they pulled their distribution because of lackluster sales.

:cheers:

So regardless of the dollar amounts, growler fills are almost double the cost of a 6-pack. If your local brewery was selling 6-packs for $10, would you be willing to pay close to $20 for a growler fill?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Oh, btw, this is roughly 1/3rd the craft/import beer selection at our local grocery store where I got those prices. There's more behind me and it continues all the way across the back, with full cases down the other side of the store.... :) :) :)