Quantcast

custom tool boxes

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I've got a set of rubber handled T bars and they're brilliant, not a bike specific brand though. The Feedback ones look super nice but expensive for what you're getting. Worth it for good tools if they're nicely made though.
I have an inside line on some of the Feedback t handles, so my price would be much lower than retail. But I hear you - they're expensive, so curious if people liked them before I pulled the trigger. Seems like there are more sensible options.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Pelican Storm iM2600. I have a few from work so that is what I am using. They were free. I picked up the foam at woodcraft store close to me.
Now just need to figure out what tool I need. Bottle opener was first so that is done.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pelican Storm iM2600. I have a few from work so that is what I am using. They were free. I picked up the foam at woodcraft store close to me.
Now just need to figure out what tool I need. Bottle opener was first so that is done.
nice. i have a pelican 1600 that's just slightly larger. i think i'm gonna wait until i have a few better tools before i start cutting foam.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Drifting this thread a little bit... but I'm struggling to come up with gift ideas to provide my wife. I was thinking maybe a bearing extractor/press for frame bearings. I have a Transition Patrol. I don't really feel like I need a headset/bb press, just for swingarm bearings.

Is the Wheels Manufacturing press any good? https://www.amazon.ca/Wheels-Manufacturing-Economy-Bearing-Press/dp/B004YWGMXY/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Wheels+Manufacturing&qid=1575643681&sr=8-8
you'll need to get bearing drifts with that.

this is the version i have ( https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/presses-extractors/universal-bottom-bracket-press.html ) and i've been very happy with it.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I was going to do the same but got impatient. I will get some new tools also. All the tools i will replace will go onto one layer so I can easily replace it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
you'll need to get bearing drifts with that.

this is the version i have ( https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/presses-extractors/universal-bottom-bracket-press.html ) and i've been very happy with it.
thanks. I guess my concern is whether that one will be too big for the little bearings at the tail end of the chainstay/seat stay intersection... I just checked, and the bearings my frame uses are 6902, 6903, and 3802. It's 3802 I'm worried about. The Press-4 fits the 69-series bearings, no problem, but it doesn't list 3802. Just 2437. I'm not sufficiently versed in the bearing standards and codes to know...

I guess I'd also like to use the press to install bushings in the shock eyelet... So again, something not too big.

I'll keep digging, but if anyone can shed some light, I'm all ears!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks. I guess my concern is whether that one will be too big for the little bearings at the tail end of the chainstay/seat stay intersection... I just checked, and the bearings my frame uses are 6902, 6903, and 3802. It's 3802 I'm worried about. The Press-4 fits the 69-series bearings, no problem, but it doesn't list 3802. Just 2437. I'm not sufficiently versed in the bearing standards and codes to know...

I guess I'd also like to use the press to install bushings in the shock eyelet... So again, something not too big.

3802 has an ID of 15mm, the rod on the BB press is 1/2" (12.7mm) it'll fit, but you won't be able to get a bearing drift to fit inside the bearing, you'd have to use a flat face on it. however, the economy press is a 3/8" shaft, so you might be able to find the right drift somewhere. drop an email to wheels mnfg and see what their suggestion is.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

alright, so to answer my own question (I think), 3802 bearings have an ID of 15mm. The Press-4 rod is 3/8". The Press-7 rod is 1/2". Both would fit inside the 3802 bearings. I'd just need to get the correct drifts I guess...

In the end, seems like the 7 John listed would be the most versatile tool.

edited to add, thanks for the answer John, all very informative!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
alright, so to answer my own question (I think), 3802 bearings have an ID of 15mm. The Press-4 rod is 3/8". The Press-7 rod is 1/2". Both would fit inside the 3802 bearings. I'd just need to get the correct drifts I guess...

In the end, seems like the 7 John listed would be the most versatile tool.

edited to add, thanks for the answer John, all very informative!
the 1/2" rod is too large for a proper bearing drift to also fit inside it. a bearing drift works by having a stepped interface that is in contact with both the ID and side face of the bearing

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I pulled the trigger on the Feedback T-handles and can confirm that they're super nice. Quite short relative to other t-handles, which I actually like so far, and come with a pretty sweet carrying case that can accommodate some other tools as well. Definitely going to be a part of my kit for any bike trips. They also look different than what their website shows, in a good way. Upper portion of the T is held in place by a small grub screw, presumably making that portion replaceable, and the tool tips are heavily chromed S2 tool steel.

In-laws bought me an Abbey titanium hammer for Christmas. Didn't totally know how to handle it because its such a ridiculous item, but I must admit that I love it. Dentist mode unlocked.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I pulled the trigger on the Feedback T-handles and can confirm that they're super nice. Quite short relative to other t-handles, which I actually like so far, and come with a pretty sweet carrying case that can accommodate some other tools as well. Definitely going to be a part of my kit for any bike trips. They also look different than what their website shows, in a good way. Upper portion of the T is held in place by a small grub screw, presumably making that portion replaceable, and the tool tips are heavily chromed S2 tool steel.

In-laws bought me an Abbey titanium hammer for Christmas. Didn't totally know how to handle it because its such a ridiculous item, but I must admit that I love it. Dentist mode unlocked.
:picsstfu:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have one of the :monkey: growlers from the group-buy a few years ago, then picked up a pair of matching MIR almost pint (16oz) glasses.
That things goes on vacation everywhere with me, especially all-inclusives.
You should see the look you get at the bar when they are used to filling 7oz plastic cups all day :D
I still have and use my RM miir growler. Always get comments at breweries when I take it for a fill. I even use it to store extra ice water for after rides when it's super hot in the summer.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I still have and use my RM miir growler. Always get comments at breweries when I take it for a fill. I even use it to store extra ice water for after rides when it's super hot in the summer.
yeah this Stanley one is insulated so I can ice water fill it for a drink when I get back to the car, and then stop off and fill it with a barley sandwich on the way home.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not bike stuff but trying to work out a basic site box for work before I go crazy with cutting foam.
It's a mish mash of brands, Koken and Dual Action sockets, Hazet ratchet, SP gimbal finger spinners. Whole bunch of usual hand tools above this section, again I'm not brand loyal or obsessed with color coding, Ideal, CK, Click N Crimp, Marvel, Rennsteig etc etc.
Have to sort one for the electrical gear next, not sure why I own so much, I've become an electrical doomsday prepper and I don't really have any electrical skills.....
Toolbox.jpg

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Got a free pelican military surplus box from my brother. The obsession begins... now I want a slightly smaller “go box” with some emergency essentials. Trying to figure out exactly what to put in that box (Pelican 1450) will see how that goes, so far; expensive. It ain’t “toolboxwars” worthy but it’ll do.
66FAF0B0-693E-40C4-ABE2-427187A4C360.jpeg
896C9AD8-A410-4113-BED1-634C270D0B86.jpeg
FD983D96-4A4D-4127-8B7A-BEC8959DD4EF.jpeg
75607C02-D8F6-4D9D-81C4-05E60A620860.jpeg

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Here’s my grab and go box, waiting for my Allen and torx sets to arrive from PB Swiss before I finalize the foam and cut it, got 30mm kaizen should’ve gone with 20, only able to get 2 layers with the 30mm. Customized a chain whip that fits on the bottom of one of the layers, no room for a shock pump unfortunately but have most everything else for quick on the road fixes.
B58E00EF-E41E-4D87-B803-1BD2E1CA80C6.jpeg
AD0F8E40-920A-4530-940E-BCAA9B2B8FB0.jpeg
7DE1D558-B70C-4DEB-B549-73D6AC7C8B32.jpeg
99BD355D-5F40-456A-BEAD-44DA6205B453.jpeg

A spare brake rotor and pads go under the bottom foam, have a small pelican box for bleed kit and spare fluids (lube and sealant) couple of voile straps attach an Airshot to my floor pump, strap the shock pump on there as well. Leave the brake bleed kit and spare fluids at home unless I’m going to a bike park for the weekend...

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
^ now that’s a setup that actually gets used. By the time I’m done building a bike the last thing I want to do is put my tools back in their exact location. I do it all day at work haha.