Quantcast

Dare to prepare

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I must admit that I got a bit too carried away with all the economic 'going to hell in a hand basket' (aka sh!t hitting the fan) a couple months ago when the market was crashing. But this made me take some steps to prepare for 'emergencies'.

So far I have:
  • 150 pounds canned goods
  • 100 pounds rice
  • 55 gallon drum fresh water

Stuff still to get:
  • chain saw
  • generator
  • shotgun?

I think that spending 500-$1000 on a little peace of mind is reasonable, but others say that I'm a bit off or even crazy for taking even these relatively small precautions. Someone today even classified these as possible early onset symptoms of schizophrenia (although this would not totally surprise me ;)

Does anyone else have a stash of 'panic supplies'?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Do you live in a Coastal area prone to Hurricanes? If your answer is no, seek professional counseling.
If your answer is yes, your list is missing gasoline storage.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Do you live in a Coastal area prone to Hurricanes? If your answer is no, seek professional counseling.
If your answer is yes, your list is missing gasoline storage.
Lol... nope, upstate NY. This preparation has always been focused on runs on the bank, total economic collapse, and civil unrest.

And dammit if 50 cans of spaghetti-o's wont make me king of the neighborhood yo!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've got about 500lbs of food.
Maybe 10 cases of MRE's.
350 gallons of water
A generator tied to the natural gas system on an automatic trip.
Enough guns and ammo to last a good long time.
And a terrabite drive full of movies that I can hook to my TV.

I'm ready for the end, and I'll be amused all the way in.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
You don't have a rifle already?
Ive never owned a firearm and am still in limbo about it. If I do get one, Ill shoot it 10 times at the range, stick in back in the box, and stick it in the basement behind a gang of boxes yo!

Id break it out only to protect my loved ones, my damned propertaw, or to shoot me a deer for meats.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ive never owned a firearm and am still in limbo about it. If I do get one, Ill shoot it 10 times at the range, stick in back in the box, and stick it in the basement behind a gang of boxes yo!

Id break it out only to protect my loved ones, my damned propertaw, or to shoot me a deer for meats.
Keeping in mind, that I am praying for the day the zombies take over, most of the stuff you have is really going to waste.

You could rotate the food and the water, but you are probably not going to use it.

So with that in mind, a gun is a critical item for SHTF survival. Take a real life situation, Katrina. Many of the residents that stayed were armed.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have a big mace ready for some smash n grab looting. I also have lot's of good pot seeds. So yeah, I am ready for the end of the world.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So with that in mind, a gun is a critical item for SHTF survival. Take a real life situation, Katrina. Many of the residents that stayed were armed.
We stayed for 8 days after SHTF in Katrina. Never in my life have I been so happy to have a shot gun and a couple of loaded hand guns. 3 days from going to complete savages this entire world is.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe 10 cases of MRE's.
350 gallons of water

So your plan for when the end comes is to be constipated?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
In all honesty, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have that for the current outbreak of the Swine Flu either. In 1918 the flu spread rapidly due to not quarantining the sick and the fact that it took the government so long to tell people to take even basic precautions like staying indoors, away from people and crowds, wash your hands frequently, etc. Eventually they did that and the number of new infections fell, and that bought time for the virus to mutate into a not-so-deadly strain (about a year and a half I think?).

Unfortunately these days with modern air travel everyone would basically be sick at the same time, so it would be a brutal time period until either the virus mutated or the government could come up with a solution / anti-viral medicine. Combine that with the fact that the incubation period for the Swine Flu is up to 9 days, where the Spanish Flu was >4, and people all over the world would be getting sick (and passing it on) without even knowing it.

Happy Monday everybody!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Y2K much?
No kidding... Thats why I'm making a concerted effort not to go ape-sh!t nutso on this. Just doing enough to know that I'm somewhat ready for a brief (2-3 month) 'lifestyle disruption', while not obsessing over it. Knocking out this list will actually allow me to get it off my mind...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dang... I go through more than 50 pounds of rice per year. :dead:
I don't think my sister-in-law actually ever eats rice. I think it was one of the items on the "Things to get before the sh!t hits the fan" list they ran every week in the local paper.

Grants Pass, OR was declared the "Most Y2K prepared city in the USA" :rofl:

<edit> That's what she had LEFT after 8 years. No telling how much she started with.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Sprouts.
You should add broccoli seeds, mung beans, lentils, & sunflower seeds & some jars & cheese cloth. That way you can maintain your health & not go crazy from not having fresh veggies.

All that food and water is worthless unless you have a means to protect it. Your family is doomed.
Get a gun and teach those you love to shoot, clean and fix it. You run out of food and water for your family its survival of the fittest.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
All that food and water is worthless unless you have a means to protect it. Your family is doomed.
Get a gun and teach those you love to shoot, clean and fix it. You run out of food and water for your family its survival of the fittest.
Got my 12 gauge last night... :monkeydance:

...still don't think I'm going to have it 'locked and loaded' in the house though... :twitch:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Funny... I actually looked into those online a few months back. A bunch of people were trying to sue the manufacturer because of their claims of what a 'serving' should be. The caloric intake was sub-standard apparently... :rolleyes:
If it's not at least 3500 calories, it's hardly a US serving.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Maybe 10 cases of MRE's.
350 gallons of water

That's is a lot of F-n water and food... that is some serious SHTF supply.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's is a lot of F-n water and food... that is some serious SHTF supply.
I started getting a little goofy after Katrina.

What really sucks is having to move it when I move every six or so months. Right now its in my folk's guest house, which isn't far from my place. Figure all else fails, if it really was doomsday gone amok I should be able to shoot my way over to their house, even if I have to hoof it.

Damn, I might have some issues I need to work though.

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Our last ice storm turned my wife into a raging bitch. Our generator isn't big enough to power our well pump, so we didn't have any running water for 3 days. My wife was unbearable to deal with, just because she couldn't take a shower! She was driving me up the wall. If I could have dropped her off at her parents, I would have.
We had TV too, 1 channel off the antenna. We had the only lights on in the nieghborhood.
I thought for sure someone would try to steal our generator, but it never happened.
I had plenty of gas, plenty of food, drinking water, chainsaws, a rifle and a shotgun (which I have for hunting, not for SHTF), I thought I was prepared pretty well.
But I was totally unprepared for my wife acting like a rotten spoiled bitch.
She still says we don't have enough money to buy a bigger generator. Huh??

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Our last ice storm turned my wife into a raging bitch. Our generator isn't big enough to power our well pump, so we didn't have any running water for 3 days. My wife was unbearable to deal with, just because she couldn't take a shower! She was driving me up the wall. If I could have dropped her off at her parents, I would have.
We had TV too, 1 channel off the antenna. We had the only lights on in the nieghborhood.
I thought for sure someone would try to steal our generator, but it never happened.
I had plenty of gas, plenty of food, drinking water, chainsaws, a rifle and a shotgun (which I have for hunting, not for SHTF), I thought I was prepared pretty well.
But I was totally unprepared for my wife acting like a rotten spoiled bitch.
She still says we don't have enough money to buy a bigger generator. Huh??
Al Bundy, is that you from beyond the grave?