Quantcast

Dear Bike Industry RE: colorways

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Colorways is a perfect example of some asshat in a corporate environment making up a word to sound more convincing and legit. Same with "complexify" and "origination" and all other stupid assclown terms. F off.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Forks, Tyres, Colour, bushing are all actually correct English terminology! The US language is wrong! see for yourselves..

http://oxforddictionaries.com/

Sorry but I can't take this seriously from a nation that can't spell anything the way it was intended to be spelt.
You mean England? Where slang permeates all levels of culture? Virtually no one can pronounce any word anywhere near properly or in approximation of phonetic definition. Tire, Color, etc are also all correct and the proper regional expression. Fooey on pretentious styleites who use quirky words to seem cool or informed.

More Americans speak standard english than any other english speaking nation as a percentage, or as a pure number.

Colorways
Fitment
Track
Tyre

all Bollocks! Toss em off ya lot of pufty wankers.

Edit: reference Webster, not Oxford; silly English-Type foolishness. ;)

Cheers.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Colorways is a perfect example of some asshat in a corporate environment making up a word to sound more convincing and legit. Same with "complexify" and "origination" and all other stupid assclown terms. F off.
or heaven forbid it's used by a person who comes from an industry where its part of the accepted lexicon, instead of just a bunch of dude-brahs with no formal engineering background :rolleyes:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I like 'track' and have adopted it into my languageway. Also, 'trails' replaces 'dirt jumps' and 'cling film' replaces 'saran wrap'.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I like slang... one of my favorite things is understanding colloquial culture. I really feel that cultural variety is a beautifully human thing, and that language should be an expression of that. No newspeak for me please...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I like slang... one of my favorite things is understanding colloquial culture. I really feel that cultural variety is a beautifully human thing, and that language should be an expression of that. No newspeak for me please...
Cultural variety is good. Co-opting something that is not your culture for style or SnG is weaksauce.

Says the IT Guy with a degree in Cultural Anthropology (Oooh, Im a professional or at least slightly qualified and fulle of doucherosity!)

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Cultural variety is good. Co-opting something that is not your culture for style or SnG is weaksauce.

Says the IT Guy with a degree in Cultural Anthropology (Oooh, Im a professional or at least slightly qualified and fulle of doucherosity!)
As a cultural anthro guy I'd imagine you know very well that culture is a very fluid thing. In a world of instant information exchange, cross cultural exchange is now more prevalent than ever in human history. To say that co-opting something from another culture is inappropriate is to ignore cultural evolution in it's entirety.

Change looks different when it's your own culture that's changing, and the conservative element in any culture will usually resist change.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
As a cultural anthro guy I'd imagine you know very well that culture is a very fluid thing. In a world of instant information exchange, cross cultural exchange is now more prevalent than ever in human history. To say that co-opting something from another culture is inappropriate is to ignore cultural evolution in it's entirety.

Change looks different when it's your own culture that's changing, and the conservative element in any culture will usually resist change.
I wouldnt describe culture as fluid, nor would I describe this as a cross-cultural exchange, but a consumption and a function of a consumer attitude.

Culture is unconscious; when it is conscious and deliberate, it becomes style at best.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Fork or forks who cares, just make sure you get the compression dampening right!!
It actually kinda annoys me when suspension companies call it "dampening" on their own webpage. Really gives you that feeling they know what they're doing.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
I'd just like to point out that this thread is now 5 pages long and the Windham World Cup Thread is 2... pathetic

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
or heaven forbid it's used by a person who comes from an industry where its part of the accepted lexicon, instead of just a bunch of dude-brahs with no formal engineering background :rolleyes:
Colorways has nothing to do with engineering. I accept the fact that it is normal terminology in one industry, but it's not part of the vernacular in the engineering industry and comes off as a douchey, contrived, and self righteous marketing move, especially when used to describe actual component colors vs. colors and designs of soft-goods and textiles.

Based on the response of this thread, I think many people are seeing through the weak sauce marketing BS.

Colorways = Cannondale trademark of 'Freeride" v2.0

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Colorways has nothing to do with engineering. I accept the fact that it is normal terminology in one industry, but it's not part of the vernacular in the engineering industry and comes off as a douchey, contrived, and self righteous marketing move, especially when used to describe actual component colors vs. colors and designs of soft-goods and textiles.
doesn't matter the industry; textiles, paint, footwear, dinnerware, engineered products (hell I'm surprised the automotive industry hasn't adopted it) - a different color treatment for the same physical product is a colorway.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1234572#m_en_us1234572

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Once upon a time, a university gave me a degree in English. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use that degree to protect the world from crud like this.

"Colorways" = purple prose. "Color" will do just fine, thanks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'd just like to point out that this thread is now 5 pages long and the Windham World Cup Thread is 2... pathetic
This perfectly reflects what Ridemonkey is all about these days.