Quantcast

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Do you trust Rockshox? They had a dud year when they first went to Taiwan also.
Manitou? they had a dud existence even with a good designed damping system, until recently(so it seems).
Fox? Took them what, five years to bring out the 40s. and they seem to have their problems, although nothing to drastic.
Boss? Don't know much, but herad they have their issues from a sponsored rider. That was a while back though.
I'll be getting 2010 888s as soon as they're cheap second hand.
Then slap my Avy cart in em:thumb: and forget about my forks for a year, then sevice, and repeat.:weee::D:rofl:
But yeah, remove the dang M arch. Does nothing.
"A" dud year? haha RS almost always have something wrong with em, but fortunately it's usually stuff that the end user CAN fix himself, like leaking o-rings in top caps or crappy valving or whatever. I don't really entirely trust any DH fork to be honest (Manitous are Manitous, Foxes wear out stanchions quickly and I don't like their seals), but the few years of Marz forks having massive bushing play and fairly shoddy damping have put me off for at least another year or so until I'm convinced they've got those under control again. The 2010 Evo sounded like a big step in the right direction, I'll wait a bit longer before I consider buying one though.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The Marz hate/distrust is the most unwarranted pile of BS across the suspension hating forum ez-chair riders.
Ding Ding Ding.

This is what I'm getting at. Sure, the current crop of their forks sound promising and I've been pleasantly surprised to firstly even see reviews of the newer forks (positive ones at that) in Dirt.... but frankly, Marzocchi forks are no longer utilized as much by riders or spec'd as OEM equipment. Personally, I think that the reason for that is very much warranted. It's naive to think that purchasing people for a bike manufacturer would risk putting a product on a bike that has a questionable track record. Likewise, I think it's fair to say that aside from us internet nerdz and some of the product homers, most people would shy away from faulty products.

Companies do it all the times with products --> "Re-branding". Personally, I think that by simply re-packaging their suspension products it would be quite beneficial for their brand. What's so unreasonable about that?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Companies do it all the times with products --> "Re-branding". Personally, I think that by simply re-packaging their suspension products it would be quite beneficial for their brand. What's so unreasonable about that?
why "fix" something that has already been fixed?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
why "fix" something that has already been fixed?
Because unless people know it's fixed it isn't. Especially if you are a big company that relies more on marketing than a small manufacture that spreads its rep by word of mouth. It'd be nice to think all people are smart but just listen to the kids and your closest resort. They are the real customers. Not RM wiseguys who get deals on everything and never pay msrp.

Last edited:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Because unless people know it's fixed it isn't. Especially if you are a big company that relies more on marketing than a small manufacture that spreads its rep by word of mouth. It'd be nice to think all people are smart but just listen to the kids and your closest resort. They are the real customers. Not RM wiseguys who get deals on everything and never pay msrp.
Friends don't let friends pay retail. At least not in my circles.

I'm not on Marz for the first time in 10+ years because of the boat anchor forks and POS shocks they've made in the last few years.

After they redesign the M arch they should make an actual service manual.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Agreed on both. They also need to get back into the air and travel adjust market with a dependable system. ATA could be brought back with no PAR, a more dependable seal between positive & negative chambers, and firm clicks to keep ATA from self winding. The concept of a standard air cart with a threaded end is so simple (compared to TALAS) and effective.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Because whats been "fixed" still isn't "selling." This thread is a textbook example for why they should rebrand their image.
youve seen the inside sales numbers im assuming?
we should direct Marz to this RM thread because people here obviously know how to rebrand a brand

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
youve seen the inside sales numbers im assuming?
we should direct Marz to this RM thread because people here obviously know how to rebrand a brand
You can see the "outside sales numbers" by going anywhere that's full of downhillers. 10 years ago, Marzocchis were on the front of half the bikes getting round at the races here. At the last race I went to (yesterday), pretty well everyone was on either Fox or RS - there was one Dorado getting around and a few old 888s on some older bikes, but that was about it. Two seasons in Whistler and other than rental bikes, the same applied - people BUYING bikes were usually going for RS or Fox over Marz. People just don't take Marz seriously anymore - their forks started looking cheap and nasty at about the same time they started having serious QC issues with the lowers/bushings (when they first went to 38mm basically), so people still associate them with that level of quality because they still look like plastic toys, even though they seem to have sorted out most or all of the QC issues they were having.

The M-arch, the tacky coloured stanchions, the cheesy looking adjusters and the lame stickers - they all make an apparently awesome fork look like a total POS. Like it or not, image does count for something. When they don't even back their products up by providing service manuals, it just gives the impression that their stuff is cheap and disposable and that even they don't give a **** about the stuff they sell.

So to me it seems like they've got some competitive products that are being massively hindered by poor marketing, and the suggestions in this thread aren't really that dumb.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
bring back the ta-tas. I remember when I couldn't visit their website at work for fear of getting canned.

but seriously...seems like all forks these days are overwrought under-performing pieces of plastic. You shouldn't have to buy a fork then completely tear out everything inside of it to get a working fork from any brand.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
As we all know the 2008 Marzocchi's blew azz.. But I think a lot of the stigma in rider's heads that continues years after is how Marzocchi handled the debacle. I remember reading about Marzocchi telling customers that the play in the bushings was "normal" and part of the design. Not only that, but customers sending forks in and having to pay to have their brand-new fork "fixed", and then also waiting a long time to get their forks back because of spare parts not being on-hand. I know it's very much unrelated, but PUSH stopped offering their services for the ROCO because they weren't able to get the parts they needed to continue to work on them.

I dunno what people are talking about the new forks being ugly w/hideous graphics, I just took a look at the '11 stuff on Marz website and it looks they've gone w/"throw back" Bomber graphics, which look pretty slick compared to the graphics on the '08-'09s.. Yeah, the dumb colored stanchions/lower combos at interbike where a bit much, but doesn't look like any of that made it to the '11 line..

bring back the ta-tas. I remember when I couldn't visit their website at work for fear of getting canned.
Yeap, severely disappointed after just visiting the Marzocchi site.. I don't think Marzocchi needs to re-brand their stuff to be more "vanilla" like Fox/RS, I think a lot of the reason Marzocchi has been successful in the past is they have a "renegade" Italian flair that fits great(or used to) with our sport. I don't think they should just fall in line and follow the leaders, it's part of what makes/made Marzocchi cool.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Dear RockShox and Fox,

Most of my riding bros use your products. They are always complaining about something with your forks. Why are they always "sending it in"? Then they always want to borrow my Marz because it is super reliable, plush and pretty darn awesome. At least when compared to your products.

Please improve so I don't have to tell my bros to "suck it" when they ask to borrow my equipment.

Thanks in advance!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Dear RockShox and Fox,

Most of my riding bros use your products. They are always complaining about something with your forks. Why are they always "sending it in"? Then they always want to borrow my Marz because it is super reliable, plush and pretty darn awesome. At least when compared to your products.

Please improve so I don't have to tell my bros to "suck it" when they ask to borrow my equipment.

Thanks in advance!
but arent "race" forks suppose to be worked on every race? arent you suppose to add oil when you take it out of the box?

sorry Angry Steve, I'll try to cater to your comedic tastes more in the future.
if you use the joke a third time, i will laugh. promise

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The M-arch, the tacky coloured stanchions,

I'm pretty sure if the rest of the fork looked quality the kids would jump on the coloured stanctions faster than you can say Tom Cruise is a space alien. Hell I think in some colors they are not bad. Imho the stickers for 2010 are already an improvement over the 08/09 seasons. Slight changes and it's going to be good. They should put a bit more cash into sponsoring. No parts on the wc circut in pinkbike terms means you produce crap.

Friends don't let friends pay retail. At least not in my circles.

I'm not on Marz for the first time in 10+ years because of the boat anchor forks and POS shocks they've made in the last few years.

You can't be friends with everybody ;)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'm glad that Marzocchi has refined their forks and they function great. I'm happy that those of you that ride their current crop of forks are pleased with their performance because bikes is rad and not being stuck in the lot due to a broken part means more time riding on rad bikes.

With that said, maybe the few of you are right and all Marzocchi needs to do is release a reliable product and it will sell itself. I'm of the opinion that that isn't the case. To those that are defending the brand like I punched your kid brother, you are sorely missing the point of my post.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Um, since you guys are reliving the past and all. Anyone have the QR20 bits for a 2002 Z1 FR??? I've got the axle, but beyond that I don't even know what I'm looking for!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
To those that are defending the brand like I punched your kid brother, you are sorely missing the point of my post.
I don't think if Marzocchi re-designed their lowers/crowns we would see significantly more Marzocchis next season, sorry. I would however like to see an 888 w/a boxxer direct mount stem bolt pattern.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
. I would however like to see an 888 w/a boxxer direct mount stem bolt pattern.
This is the only thing that they are doing wrong right now. Right now beng the phrase that pays.

Anyone hating on Marzocchi for quality or issues, when running SRAM/Rockshox forks, needs to get an irony check running.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
This is the only thing that they are doing wrong right now. Right now beng the phrase that pays.

Anyone hating on Marzocchi for quality or issues, when running SRAM/Rockshox forks, needs to get an irony check running.
I had an 07 WC it had issues with the stanchions peeling. Marz finally fixed it after messing around for weeks. I don't know about in the US but up here you're lucky if you can get them to put down the bong to answer the phone.

My 2010 Team had an issue of leaking oil out of the box. RS said ride it and they had a new one in my hands in less than a week.

If a problem gets taken care of in the correct way it can at least give you some confidence in a product even if it has flaws.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
My 2010 Team had an issue of leaking oil out of the box. RS said ride it and they had a new one in my hands in less than a week.

If a problem gets taken care of in the correct way it can at least give you some confidence in a product even if it has flaws.
Biggest reason I've been sticking to RS stuff.. Anytime I have an issue, they take care of it no questions asked(along w/the help of my LBS).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

The magnitude of issues the later 2010 boxxer models had is nowhere near where marz was in the early 08. That's 2 step/old school manitou area.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Bring back the shivers, both the sc an dc versions with air release valves up top please!!!
Why modern high-performance forks with large oil baths still don't come with air bleeder valves is beyond me.

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
I had the Shiver SC - these things where soooo pimp that I could over look the auto steering though rockgardens when things got a little racey..
i still use mine today an it rules all other all mountain forks out there. this shiver sc just rocks period...

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
Why modern high-performance forks with large oil baths still don't come with air bleeder valves is beyond me.
cause the air bleeder valves would add a few grams, an since the bike industry is so caught up on weight issues for every weight dork out there, they opt against it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
cause the air bleeder valves would add a few grams, an since the bike industry is so caught up on weight issues for every weight dork out there, they opt against it.
Obviously they don't care that much about weight if the fork is open bath in the first place.